X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dpark
    replied
    Originally posted by bishopcraiga View Post
    1) Does seem a bit dark for bourbon but if that's the only visible issue, I'd be thrilled.
    2) There are ways to lighten them as they really are walnut under all that burnishing but I don't know if you call them idiot proof. Much better to test out on a pair of beaters to get your technique down.
    3) That's a combination tap sole, essentially a pre-installed topy. Probably not as durable as dainite but supposedly the break in will be easier.

Long story short, I'd keep them and wear them in good health
    I agree. I think those look great, even if they are a touch darker than expected. The combination sole is also perfect because you were planning to add a topy that anyway. So these save you more money.

Leave a comment:

• srlclark
    replied
    Yeah. I have walnut Strands, brown Kenilworths, and bourbon Daltons. I would say that, in the sunlight, the bourbon looks closer to walnut than to brown, but in artificial light it looks closer to brown than to walnut. Danny's Strands are slightly closer to brown, but that could be the lighting.

Congrats on the re-craft! You've made me think that, if there are any bourbon shoes left in styles I want in mid-June, I should get myself a pair as a birthday present. Talking to you isn't good for my bank account, either!

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Thanks, man. As I said in mine, I'm pretty thrilled at the re-craft they did. And mine were originally FIRSTS, not seconds, so I think yours look pretty darn good. Slightly darker maybe, but could just be lighting too. Bourbon is medium brown but not that light unless you're comparing to the AE dark brown. I'll post a comparison pic in a second.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied
    best sub $150 everyday business casual shoes

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
    [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]:

I'd also say keep them, provided that you can get on board with the color. It's doesn't seem that dark to me. Yes, it's on the darker side of the bourbon range, but still lighter than the burnished brown. The one in daylight looks pretty normal. The top ones are darker, but the shoe is in shadow, so it's hard to tell how much darker. Check out the other thread in which [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] posted the re-crafted bourbon McAllisters he just got. They're slightly lighter than yours, but not all that much.

I personally prefer the combination tap sole to a dainite sole. Halfway house between a leather and a rubber sole.

I think both your shoe and [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]'s are beautiful, and I wish you both well to wear them.
    Thanks, man. As I said in mine, I'm pretty thrilled at the re-craft they did. And mine were originally FIRSTS, not seconds, so I think yours look pretty darn good. Slightly darker maybe, but could just be lighting too. Bourbon is medium brown but not that light unless you're comparing to the AE dark brown. I'll post a comparison pic in a second.

Edit: and here's the comparison pics of my entire AE family, black to dark brown to bourbon to walnut (which has been darkened a bit with wear/polishing)

Leave a comment:

• srlclark
    replied
    [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]:

I'd also say keep them, provided that you can get on board with the color. It's doesn't seem that dark to me. Yes, it's on the darker side of the bourbon range, but still lighter than the burnished brown. The one in daylight looks pretty normal. The top ones are darker, but the shoe is in shadow, so it's hard to tell how much darker. Check out the other thread in which [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] posted the re-crafted bourbon McAllisters he just got. They're slightly lighter than yours, but not all that much.

I personally prefer the combination tap sole to a dainite sole. Halfway house between a leather and a rubber sole.

I think both your shoe and [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]'s are beautiful, and I wish you both well to wear them.

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    Renomat will lighten them. If you want to do it, give yourself a few hours on a nice day so you can get it all done outside with warmth. There will be a good amount of conditioning and polishing after using the renomat. As mentioned above, you probably want to try this on some other shoes first so you know what to expect.

I wouldn't use fiebing's deglazer or anything as that will take too much color out.

Or, just leave them. You can always do stuff to them later.

Leave a comment:

• mmgfarb
    replied
    [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION] I would also say keep em. Maybe try using a lighter polish that's closer to walnut. I just polished my bourbon strands for the first time using AE bourbon cream polish and I wasn't that impressed. I think I'm just gonna stick with my usual meltonian in the future, I'm not sure which color though.

Leave a comment:

• Pepetito
    replied
    Same. Keep em. Look good

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bishopcraiga
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny View Post
    Well, the shoes arrived and I'm less than thrilled.

At least the burnishing seems more consistent, but these are much closer to AE's brown color than the mid-brown bourbon that I was hoping for. Here are a few more pics:

Here's one in direct sunlight that makes them look lighter than they appear in real life:

and here's one of the sole -- is this their Danite option?

So three questions:
    1) What do you think of 'em? Too dark? Worth keeping for my purposes?
    2) Will they get lighter over time with wear? Is there an idiot-proof way to make them a bit lighter?
    3) Is that the option with the Danite sole (I prefer the durability Danite would offer)
    1) Does seem a bit dark for bourbon but if that's the only visible issue, I'd be thrilled.
    2) There are ways to lighten them as they really are walnut under all that burnishing but I don't know if you call them idiot proof. Much better to test out on a pair of beaters to get your technique down.
    3) That's a combination tap sole, essentially a pre-installed topy. Probably not as durable as dainite but supposedly the break in will be easier.

Long story short, I'd keep them and wear them in good health

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Well, the shoes arrived and I'm less than thrilled. Not totally disappointed, though.

At least the burnishing seems more consistent, but these are much closer to AE's brown color than the mid-brown bourbon that I was hoping for. Here are a few more pics:

[MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] [MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION] [MENTION=14949]mmgfarb[/MENTION])

Here's one in direct sunlight that makes them look lighter than they appear in real life:

and here's one of the sole -- is this their Danite option?

So three questions:
    1) What do you think of 'em? Too dark? Worth keeping for my purposes?
    2) Will they get lighter over time with wear? Is there an idiot-proof way to make them a bit lighter?
    3) Is that the option with the Danite sole (I prefer the durability Danite would offer)
    Last edited by Danny; April 19, 2016, 10:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• srlclark
    replied
    Those Strands look great.

To me, they appear, at least in the photo, to be on the lighter side of bourbon. That's not a problem at all, but you might want to bear it in mind next time you think of buying AE, as it would thus probably make more sense to buy a pair in brown than a pair in walnut. (By contrast, if your bourbon was on the darker side, I'd have thought it better to buy walnut next than brown).

The Aschers are pretty poor. They'd be wearable, but definitely not worth the ticket price.

Originally posted by matthewisch View Post
    Wanted to chime in with my first shoebank experience. I ordered the bourbon Strand and the bourbon Ascher, both from the Mebane, NC store about a week ago. The gal I spoke with was very helpful and eyeballed both pairs, reporting any visual defects. Shipping took about 5 days.

Color and burnishing on the Strands are great, no striping. $177, keepers.

Leave a comment:

• mmgfarb
    replied
    Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
    Tried on three occasions to go bourbon strands seconds route. All looked awful. Only shoe and color the seconds didn't work out for me

I got lucky on my first try. The only thing wrong with mine was a broken stitch on the vamp which my shoe repair guy fixed for like ten bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Pepetito
    replied
    Originally posted by matthewisch View Post
    Wanted to chime in with my first shoebank experience. I ordered the bourbon Strand and the bourbon Ascher, both from the Mebane, NC store about a week ago. The gal I spoke with was very helpful and eyeballed both pairs, reporting any visual defects. Shipping took about 5 days.

Here's the only offender I can see and looks muuuch more pronounced in the pic. Will report back if anyone ever in my lifetime notices and comments, lol.

The burnishing on the Aschers is pretty bad IMO. Best described as ink blotches. At $159 I'm sending em back.
    Tried on three occasions to go bourbon strands seconds route. All looked awful. Only shoe and color the seconds didn't work out for me

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    [MENTION=14268]matthewisch[/MENTION] those strands look great. The little imperfection is easy to miss. Definitely keepers.

My strands are due to arrive tomorrow. I hope they're in acceptable condition! They're supposed to be firsts quality, but then again so were my last (unacceptable) pair.

Leave a comment:

• matthewisch
    replied

Here's the only offender I can see and looks muuuch more pronounced in the pic. Will report back if anyone ever in my lifetime notices and comments, lol.

The burnishing on the Aschers is pretty bad IMO. Best described as ink blotches. At $159 I'm sending em back.

Leave a comment:

• Taft
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny View Post
    [MENTION=15366]Taft[/MENTION] I just reread my original post and realized that it came off much more snarky than I intended. I apologize. Didn't mean to disparage your clothes as a whole. Rather, I just don't think your goods are right for me at this point. I'm still trying to build up my wardrobe with classic staples, so it will be awhile (years) before I'm ready to venture into the more adventurous territory that most of your shoes represent to me.
    No worries Danny. You are totally right....we don't make your first or second pair of shoes, we make the shoes that you get when you start expanding your collection and have the classics nailed already. Thanks for the follow-up!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X