best sub $150 everyday business casual shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
    [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]: have you thought about going with a pair of chelsea boots? Still a "timeless" style, but very different to Clarks you're wearing now.
    I don't mean this to sound hostile, as I'm genuinely just curious: why do you keep recommending boots? Surely it'd add more versatility if he got a shoe than a boot, given what he already has?

I clearly have a bias towards shoes over boots, as the only boots I own are a 10-year-old pair of suede chelseas and a pair of AE Dalton's that I bought last week and received four days ago, but I do love chukkas and plan to get at least one pair, possibly two (so that one's leather and one suede) in the next year. Even given that bias, I can't see why in his particular case a shoe isn't clearly preferable to a boot.

Comment

I just want to say that you needn't feel bound by the tradition that unbrogued, captoe oxfords are too formal for everyday wear. Most people don't know that rule. Although among formal shoes (oxfords and derbies) decreases in brogueing normally denote increases in formality, you should remember that informal shoes, which is what most people wear these days, usually have no brogueing at all. For this reason, many people associate brogueing with formailty. So to the majority, a plain oxford will simply look more sleek and simple than a brogue oxford, but neither more nor less formal.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
        I don't mean this to sound hostile, as I'm genuinely just curious: why do you keep recommending boots? Surely it'd add more versatility if he got a shoe than a boot, given what he already has?

I clearly have a bias towards shoes over boots, as the only boots I own are a 10-year-old pair of suede chelseas and a pair of AE Dalton's that I bought last week and received four days ago, but I do love chukkas and plan to get at least one pair, possibly two (so that one's leather and one suede) in the next year. Even given that bias, I can't see why in his particular case a shoe isn't clearly preferable to a boot.
        No worries, not taking it the wrong way. Nothing sinister behind the recommendations; they're based on the fact that he obviously loves his Clarks but wants to step it up, he said he was open to a dress boot, one of the options he's looking at are the Gunners, and he doesn't seem to want a lot of detailing on the boot/shoe (I usually find with a full grain leather shoe that the less detailing it has the more formal it looks and he's working in a more casual environment). Something like the 5th Ave would probably be too formal. So the direction I took was going with more of a dress boot shaped chukka (same idea as the Clarks but much easier to dress up and better quality with a GY welt) or a dress Chelsea (a boot, which he seems to like, but very different in styling to the Clarks; still very versatile). He definitely seems to want to go in another direction, so I agree your shoe recommendations are probably more helpful. Cheers!

Comment

I went to giftcardgranny.com bought a $175 belk gift card for 15% off for $148, and bought some tan J&M Meltons. Free shipping. Make sure you know your size.

Comment

I got this pair from J Crew last summer, and absolutely love them. They are featured on this site often, and I finally caved. Quality has been fantastic so far. The pair I got were lighter than either of these options, and go with just about everything. They have tons of sales on these shoes, scooped mine for $115ish. I know you said suede wasn't practical in Seattle, but these are truly a great value if you wait for a sale.

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...or_name=sahara

Comment

I will read through this thread later so forgive me if I repeat other suggestions. Stafford shoes are a good value. I also snag Cole Haan on clearance for $65 or less at dsw. The clearance modules vary by store so if you live near multiples, hit them all. You can get good deals at Nordstrom rack as well. I get a lot of wear out of some suede saddle shoes I grabbed at a bass outlet as well. classic but only good for Friday at my job. I haven't picked up any banana Republic shoes yet but you can stack coupons to get them to $100 and they look pretty darn good for that. I almost bought the smooth or the pennies but froze in indecision and missed my promo

Comment

[MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION] - I would go to the store to figure out fit before ordering anything, so I'm not too worried about that.

[MENTION=14673]BobLikesDeals[/MENTION] I really might just go with the Gunners. They sound pretty awesome, have a huge following, and look good.

[MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] I've thought about chelseas, but they're probably something I'll buy after I pick up a pair or two in different styles. Might look into them a bit more, though.

[MENTION=3344]connor[/MENTION]sw A double monk is a bit of a power move, and I just don't think I'm ready for that yet. Too aggressive (and might go out of style in a year or so). Already have a chukka, and might investigate some chelseas.
                The Wyatt is too flashy between the broguing AND the strap, and the james isn't available anymore (not my style anyway). I' really not a fan of suede shoes -- they would get ruined in the seattle rain.

[MENTION=14091]Jw190m[/MENTION] I'm not a fan of suede. Thanks for the link to the AE seconds.

[MENTION=3767]wsupjs[/MENTION] I vastly prefer something new, mostly because my indecision leads to a bunch of return (which I can't do with used goods). Duly noted about the fifth ave being inappropriate.

[MENTION=14636]Alex1[/MENTION] thanks for the kind words.
                As you may have figured out, the quality level of a $150 shoe is not much more than the best $50 shoe.
                Some might disagree, but I think you're mostly right on this point. I really might just go with the Gunners.

[MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] I don't really mind the Kenilworth's, but they don't look that amazing to me. Might have to try them on -- I think a trip to the AE store across from my work is in order. Your other advice is too advanced for me. When we start getting into the minutia of balmoral vs blucher my eyes glaze over. I just know what I think looks good. But I'll read over what you wrote again in a year when I'm better suited to understand and react to it

[MENTION=13047]MTH[/MENTION] interesting thoughts. I wasn't worried about a lack of brouging, though.

as for the exchange between [MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] -- you're both right. I like the idea of a shoe OR a boot. I can see both opinions on this. A shoe does seem a bit more versatile and just... different from what I have. Are the other stafford shoes (not boots) from JC Penny as well regarded as the Deacons?

[MENTION=11046]whereismurder[/MENTION] thanks for the recommendation. It's not just about practicality -- I just don't love suede shoes. They seem too...fragile and delicate for my taste. I like clothes that can take a beating and still look great.

[MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] good tips! Any shoes you think I might like that you've enjoyed? Which particular cole haans? My coworker got a pair of them and they look pretty great, but his cost $200+

Comment

I shop Cole Haan for bargains only so I dont have any specific model names to recommend. I will say ch makes some classic looks and some awful shoes so shop carefully. I have some nearly Burgundy wingtip boots that I snagged for $65 and wear about 3 times a week. Great boot for my needs.

Comment

I like your shoes, but I also highly recommend Bass Buckingham in Taupe or White. I cannot recommend them enough I've been wearing nothing but them for the last 3 years of my life, and I will continue to do so.

Comment

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]

Completely understand. I feel the same way about watches. I can never remember what the difference between quartz and automatic is. Or even whether that's the distinction that (supposedly) matters. I have three watches but I've had them all for at least five years and I think they were all gifts. I just know that I like a relatively small and unobtrusive round face with a strap made out of brown leather of some shade or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                        [MENTION=3344]connor[/MENTION]sw A double monk is a bit of a power move, and I just don't think I'm ready for that yet. Too aggressive (and might go out of style in a year or so). Already have a chukka, and might investigate some chelseas.
                        The Wyatt is too flashy between the broguing AND the strap, and the james isn't available anymore (not my style anyway). I' really not a fan of suede shoes -- they would get ruined in the seattle rain.
                        If you're not a fan of double monks, I certainly don't want to push them on you. Just to clarify though, they are not "style" item that is going anywhere. They have been around for centuries and are a known, solid middle ground between a blucher and a loafer.

Ref suede, again, just to provide a little clarity, the whole "rain will ruin my suede shoes" is a myth. They actually bounce back better than most shoes. Give this thread a read: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...0035-Why-Suede

When looking for a shoe that can be dressed up or down, you are basically looking at a sleek, slimmer profile shoe that has been changed in someway to make it more casual. This is typically done through brogueing, suede, or pebble/country grain. Or possibly a boot. If you don't like brogueing or suede, you options start to become limited. Personally, I think pebble grain looks better with brogueing so that limits that as well. I realize you already have chukkas, but there is a world of difference between a fat toed Clark desert boot with crepe soles and sleek dress chukka with danite or leather soles. I would never consider wearing the former with a suit, but would definitely consider the latter if I was dressing one down.

I think a chelsea boot really might be what you're looking for, but I don't have any recommendations in that price range. The other thing you may want to consider is a pair of bucs. Somewhat similar to PTB, but typically come in nubuck (similar to suede, but shorter hairs and comes from the outside of the leather). Sprayed like suede, they will work in rain too. It firmly falls on the casual side though. Could be worn with chinos and a blazer, but not with a suit (unless you do the full on southern seersucker thing). Bass makes a pretty classic one in your price range: http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Mens-Buck...ass+buckingham. I also like the OP Waylon: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Pengu...penquin+waylon

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                          If you're not a fan of double monks, I certainly don't want to push them on you. Just to clarify though, they are not "style" item that is going anywhere. They have been around for centuries and are a known, solid middle ground between a blucher and a loafer.
                          I like monk straps, but they are extremely trendy, especially double monk straps. It's entirely possible they'll look extremely dated in a few years. The fact that the style has existed for centuries (actually, I don't believe they're that old, but it doesn't matter) doesn't stop them from being trendy.

If pilgrim shoes suddenly become popular, they'll still be a trendy item. It doesn't matter that they are theoretically centuries old. It matters that they were not a staple item 5 years ago and suddenly you see them everywhere. That's a trend.

Comment

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. Monk straps have been popular since at least the 50s. I'll give you the double monk is a bit newer, but hardly a 5-year trend. Perhaps you just notice them more since they are being worn more casually with jeans or even with no socks and shorts (a look I personally dislike).

I can't speak to how in vogue they were through out the centuries or the transition from an actual monk's shoe to a fashion shoe, but over 50-years surpasses trendy. Personally, I have memories of my uncles in Italy wearing them in the mid-70s.

Comment

Although these are slightly above OP's budget, I can't recommend brown double monks or brown suede double monks enough, for a business casual shoe. Doesn't have to be these, but embrace the double monks.

SuitSupply Brown Suede Double Monks
                              https://imgur.com/a/6ESEJ

Allen Edmonds Mora 2.0 in Bourbon
                              http://i.imgur.com/QPnMN66.jpg?1
                              http://i.imgur.com/DeHzkRk.jpg?1

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                                I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. Monk straps have been popular since at least the 50s. I'll give you the double monk is a bit newer, but hardly a 5-year trend. Perhaps you just notice them more since they are being worn more casually with jeans or even with no socks and shorts (a look I personally dislike).

I can't speak to how in vogue they were through out the centuries or the transition from an actual monk's shoe to a fashion shoe, but over 50-years surpasses trendy. Personally, I have memories of my uncles in Italy wearing them in the mid-70s.
                                I don't agree that monk straps have been popular since the 50s. Sure, some people have undoubtedly been wearing them for decades (e.g. the Duke of Windsor wore them). But could you walk into every department store and see a half dozen different models like now? I rarely saw monk straps anywhere until fairly recently. The fact that some fashion forward dressers in Italy were wearing them in the 70s doesn't make them a long running staple. I stand by the statement that these are extremely trendy. They have exploded in popularity. That is generally followed by a corresponding drop in popularity.

This all goes double for double monk straps. Even the Duke of Windsor wasn't wearing these.

Comment

Working...
                                X