X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• srlclark
    replied
    [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]

If I were you, I would at least wipe them down with a damp cloth before you leave town. As you don't have a cloth, do you have an old t-shirt you could use? Or, if all you're doing is wiping them down, a piece of kitchen towel? (Not good for the environment, but one piece probably won't herald the day after tomorrow). You could polish and buff them when you get back.

[MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION]: Do you use neutral or bourbon polish for your Dalton's? I've heard conflicting reports on which will maintain the color better.

Leave a comment:

• JPD Revised
    replied
    [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION], I have AE and Kiwi horsehair brushes and both are fine. You may be able to find a Kiwi brush at your local Target.

Leave a comment:

• Evenflow
    replied
    The color on them is perfect. One of my bourbon pairs is on the lighter side, between bourbon and walnut, and it looks sort of greenish.

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Can't really say for sure, but I'm pretty positive you should be able to buff it out. But you'll need the brush and cloth to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    [MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION] duly noted. I'll probably get both of those things AND bourbon shoe stuff from AE then. I'm actually going out of town tomorrow, so doing this tonight would be difficult... is this something that could wait a week, or could that further damage the shoes? Sorry for the many questions... I've just never owned a pair of high-quality shoes before.

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Allen Edmonds for both is inexpensive and decent. Hangerproject has good ones, but are more expensive. I use Saphir cloths, but they're more expensive than the AE cloths.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by devastitis View Post
    Buy a horsehair brush and a cotton flannel cloth.
    Any particular recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Buy a horsehair brush and a cotton flannel cloth.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    [MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION] brush them with what? I don't own a shoe brush yet...

If you meant to brush them with some shoe brush, which should I get (with affordability being a constant concern)

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Brush them and wipe them down with a damp cloth. See what the damage is after doing that.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    [MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] [MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION] [MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION] [MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION] and all other members of this trusted AE advisory board:

it seems actually wearing the shoes means they won't stay in pristine condition. Imagine that! One day in and these beauts have a scuff or two:

So here's the question. Do I:
    A) ignore the scuffs... they're not so bad and things like this happen to everyone. (DO they happen to everyone? Am I super rough on my shoes?)
    B) Get some conditioner/polish and buff out the scuffs (if so, what affordable product do you recommend/whats the methodology/regimen)
    C) Some other action I am not aware of because my shoe knowledge is so weak.
    Last edited by Danny; April 21, 2016, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wahoo1997
    replied
    Had an amazing AE experience recently. Went to an outlet location on Saturday and picked up a pair of AE x Club Monaco Strands in brown. The outlet applied a 25% mall coupon, bring the shoes to ~$144, which was a great deal. But I decide the shoes didn't fit and I wasn't crazy about the color.

So today i took them to my local AE. He processed the return with no restocking. He also found a pair of bourbon strands in my size and applies a 25% discount, knocking the shoes down to $138ish. Plus he located a bourbon Manitee belt in my size at a store, which I got for $49. I think he applied the 25% off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny View Post
    One more question: the shoes feel different on my left foot. There's a noticeable bump under my foot near the front of the left shoe. It's not something that you can see, but it is something you can feel when you stick your hand in the shoe. Is that cause for concern?
    Could be. Doesn't sound normal. Find out what's causing it.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    [MENTION=15055]bishopcraiga[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] These are supposed to be firsts quality, so I'm letting myself be snobbishly picky. Based on your collective feedback I've decided to keep them, though.

I'd also say keep them, provided that you can get on board with the color.
    I'm not thrilled with the color. It's darker than expected, and one seems to be a hair lighter than the other.

the combination sole is also perfect because you were planning to add a topy to that anyway. So these save you more money.
    Yeah, that's true.

polish using AE's walnut polish, and over time it'll brighten up
    This is probably what I'll do. They're not bad enough to take back, and given that I got a pair of firsts with the tap sole for less than $250 (tax included) I really can't complain. Maybe by using Walnut polish I'll be able to lighten the darker one up to match its brother, then polish them equally.

One more question: the shoes feel different on my left foot. There's a noticeable bump under my foot near the front of the left shoe. It's not something that you can see, but it is something you can feel when you stick your hand in the shoe. Is that cause for concern?

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny View Post
    Well, the shoes arrived and I'm less than thrilled. Not totally disappointed, though.

At least the burnishing seems more consistent, but these are much closer to AE's brown color than the mid-brown bourbon that I was hoping for. Here are a few more pics:

[MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] [MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION] [MENTION=14949]mmgfarb[/MENTION])

Here's one in direct sunlight that makes them look lighter than they appear in real life:

and here's one of the sole -- is this their Danite option?

So three questions:
    1) What do you think of 'em? Too dark? Worth keeping for my purposes?
    2) Will they get lighter over time with wear? Is there an idiot-proof way to make them a bit lighter?
    3) Is that the option with the Danite sole (I prefer the durability Danite would offer)
    I don't know what you are really expecting. They look good. And they got you the tap soles, which would have cost extra. I love the look of leather soles right out of the box, but after a wear on concrete, it looks pretty hideous IMO. So combination taps are a solid alternative. And like others said, if it's too dark for your liking, polish using AE's walnut polish, and over time it'll brighten up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X