No announcement yet.

best sub $150 everyday business casual shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just condition and brush them. Specifically, I would use renovateur. I scuff my shoes regularly, it is no big deal. Eventually, the scuffs all even out as a patina.

Comment

Great advice, but it's not that costly. The shoe trees aren't cheap, but they are essential and cost less than 10% of the expenditure on the shoes. The rest is $10 or less each. It does mount up, but the shoe trees, the cloths, and the brush should last a good long while.

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]: Sorry this has proved such a stressful experience! I hope our advice has at least been useful. For now, I'd say enjoy your holiday, don't worry about the shoes too much, and wear the casual pair I see in the background whenever you can until you get back!

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
      Did you get oil on them?

You might have to hit them with a complete conditioning and shine, but it can be somewhat costly. You will need leather conditioner, bourbon shoe polish, a pair of shoe trees, a cloth or two, and one horsehair brush.

Here's a good youtube link on how to care for your shoes. This is the basics of a condition and polish.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCO8XtLT-1I

And this one, if you're really serious, and got some coin to spend. This one is ideally a few times a year.
      https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-c...e-shine-guide/

Comment

[MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] and everyone else who has commented: Your advice has been invaluable. I'm so appreciative of all your help, and I'm really happy with the AE's. I'm glad I had the benefit of your cumulative knowledge and was convinced to pay a bit more for lasting and noticeable quality.

While all the individual components will add up a bit, I see these items as part of a long term investment in all of my shoes.

Here's what i'm planning to get:
        Shoe trees (Nordstrom rack) - ~$13
        Kiwi Horsehair shoe brush - $7.00
        Quard Shoe cleaning cloth (Amazon) - $5.50
        Allen Edmonds premium shoe polish, bourbon (is this the best color to get?) - $9.00
        Total: ~$34.00

Do I need shoe conditioner? If so, what brand is reccomended? I know people on here like using Sapir, but that seems pricy to me.

I'm eager to get these stunners looking perfect again. Glad I have you all to point me in the right direction!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Allen Edmonds premium shoe polish, bourbon (is this the best color to get?) - $9.00
          I would definitely get some bourbon-colored polish to help cover the scuffs. You might also want to eventually pick up some neutral for the whole shoe. I would assume that repeated applications of bourbon polish will begin to mask the burnishing.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about, too. I assume that the bourbon polish is basically just a medium-brown polish. Some reviewers say that using it will make the shoe duller over time, so that while still medium-brown overall, it lack the depth achieved by the combination of the walnut with the black. I wonder what the effect of trying to replicate AE's process would be, e.g. using walnut polish three times out of five and then using black polish twice out of five. Or four and one, maybe. I think some store associates suggesting occasionally buffing the shoe with a cloth used for black shoes, but I think that would just darken the shoe.

With any luck AE is currently working on a shoe in which the bourbon color is achieved through dye and for which there are no problems about using bourbon polish.

Incidentally, isn't oxblood also achieved by burnishing a lighter color on the black burnishing wheel? If so, do you know which color the lighter one is?

Originally posted by dpark View Post
            I would definitely get some bourbon-colored polish to help cover the scuffs. You might also want to eventually pick up some neutral for the whole shoe. I would assume that repeated applications of bourbon polish will begin to mask the burnishing.

Comment

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]: I don't use Sapir. I use AE conditioner cleaner. The rest sound good but I agree about getting neutral polish, too.

Comment

Just conditioned and polished a pair of shoes for the first time.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

It's not perfect (you can see a bit of color discrepancy between the overall burbon color and the bourbon polish on the toes), but it's pretty damn good. No one would notice this unless they got on hands and knees to inspect my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                  Just conditioned and polished a pair of shoes for the first time.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

It's not perfect (you can see a bit of color discrepancy between the overall burbon color and the bourbon polish on the toes), but it's pretty damn good. No one would notice this unless they got on hands and knees to inspect my shoes.
                  Those look great, good job!

Comment

While pristine shoes look nice on the showroom floor, a well-loved pair of shoes will look like they've been worn enough times to fall in love with. You'll get scuffs and creases, you'll get discoloration and your conditioning and polishing won't restore the shoes to like-new appearance. However, with regular wear, regular conditioning and polishing, regular shoe tree use, and keeping them away from really nasty stuff like snowy slush and oils, your shoes will develop something beautiful called a patina. I like the look of your shoes post-scuffs and post-polish better than I liked them brand new.

Comment

[MENTION=14949]mmgfarb[/MENTION] thanks!

I like the look of your shoes post-scuffs and post-polish better than I liked them brand new
                      I like them better now too... but it's not because of the conditioning/polish. They look better because you can tell that the leather is starting to soften up. When it comes down to it, worn, soft leather always looks better than pristine, hard leather IMHO.

Comment

On Saphir Renovateur, I would like to say I use it because it has good coverage and sinks in gradually allowing for even treatment... but that's not really it. I like it because it smells like turpentine instead of the petroleum distillate similar products have. The shoes also don't smell bad after. It's a little thing, but I have unused containers of other products because of smell. (Reminds me... I should try to give some of that away.)

Comment

Working...
                        X