Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another first blazer question!

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the site/forum for a few weeks now, and am looking to make my first blazer purchase. I've noticed that a navy wool blazer is often recommended for the first blazer purchase, but I'm wondering if there might be something more well suited for my needs. My workplace attire is pretty casual (makes it easier to change into and out of multiple times/day, which I have to), usually chinos (navy, khaki, grey) and button down with the occasional tie. As such, I'm worried that a traditional navy wool blazer might be a bit more formal than the rest of my typical attire.

I would really like to purchase a blazer that can be used throughout the warmer months, works well with chinos of various colors, and can be worn with jeans. Any thoughts on which color would be this versatile? How about the best bets for fabric? Any thoughts on a particular style?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

A solid or subtle-patterned two-button blazer is still probably your best bet, but if you want something more casual and cool (temperature wise) than straight wool, you can always go with a partially-lined cotton jacket or some sort of blend -- wool/linen, for example. As always, stay away from synthetic materials like polyester. In terms of color, navy is pretty safe, but so is grey. Khaki can work, too, but is not quite as versatile as grey or blue for year-round wear.

How much are you looking to spend?

Comment

A navy chino blazer can be worn in all seasons. It will go with everything. Can get them in structured and unstructured. Not as formal as a wool blazer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

The good thing about the navy wool blazer is that it can be dressed up or down. It will fit the casual attire at the office, but throw on some wool pants and a tie and it works in a whole new way.

Comment

I'd get a navy wool blazer and a navy cotton blazer. Wear a blazer for a week straight, and no one will ask any questions after that. You'll just be the undisputed classiest, highest-paid person in the office.

Comment

Working...
          X