Another AE price hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another AE price hike

Today, prices on AE's regular line have gone up from $385 to $395 and on its dress boots from $425 to $445. I believe that there was no change in the price of the casual shoes or the independence line, though. The Fifth Street boot is still at $385.

With the dollar very strong and the pound very weak, Loake is now substantially cheaper than AE. Loake's 1880 line starts at 215 pounds, which is now just $300 (six months ago, it would have been more than $320).

Similar things will be true for Meermin, Carmina, Velasca, and the other British shoes.

wow....if i had known i would've jumped on the cornwallis much earlier...

Comment

at this time in 2006 a pair of Park Ave's was $305
      at this time in 2011 a pair of Park Ave's was $325
      at this time in 2014 a pair of Park Ave's was $345
      at this time in 2015 a pair of Park Ave's was $385

they're doing a little bit more than keeping with inflation (which would account for maybe 2% a year?), but not much more than that. It does start to sound expensive though, when it goes past $100.

I know leather prices have been continually going up. I'm sure other ones do to for them.
      Last edited by evanparker; March 2, 2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Prices haven't gone up on the shoebank website, as far as I can tell. Hopefully AE won't raise prices on sale items.

Comment

I like AE's, but 400 dollars is pushing it. Which Loake last is most similar to the AE 5? I may give them a shot.

Comment

Is there any way to compare Loake to AE in terms of lasts? I've always wanted to try Meermin, Loake, Carmina, etc. but I haven't even tried Aldens out because I don't know where to get myself fitted.

Comment

Damn. Wishing I'd jumped on their last sale when I had a chance. US/CDN currency be damned.

Comment

I can buy Carmina at Skoaktiebolaget for $450 and they pay shipping and duty. $55 more for a much, much better grade of shoe. AE is going to price themselves out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by believe0101 View Post
                  Is there any way to compare Loake to AE in terms of lasts? I've always wanted to try Meermin, Loake, Carmina, etc. but I haven't even tried Aldens out because I don't know where to get myself fitted.
                  Did a quick search on Alden. Try North River Outfitter: 122 Charles Street
                  PO Box 305, Boston Ma, 02114
                  Mon-Fri: 10-7, Sat: 10-6, Sun: 11-5
                  617-742-0089.

If you're ever in DC, there's an actual Alden shop there.

Not sure about Loake. I only mention them as I go to the UK (where my parents live) once a year, so the fitting issue isn't an issue for me. I've also avoided Meermin for that reason. I think you can get free returns on Carmina at Skoaktiebolaget and possibly directly from the Carmina website.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                    Did a quick search on Alden. Try North River Outfitter.
                    Store is fine, but don't ever.... EVER.... order from their website. If I were to rank my shopping experiences from worst to best, there would be more distance from them (#1) to #2 than there would be from #2 to #150. They truly set a new standard in suckitude. Exponentially worse than anything else I've ever experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by phatte View Post
                      Store is fine, but don't ever.... EVER.... order from their website. If I were to rank my shopping experiences from worst to best, there would be more distance from them (#1) to #2 than there would be from #2 to #150. They truly set a new standard in suckitude. Exponentially worse than anything else I've ever experienced.
                      Just curious, what about the experience made it so bad?

Comment

Who? Alden or North River Outfitter? It'll be a couple of years before I put down the money for a pair of Alden. Current plan is to get myself a pair for my 40th in June 2018 (I'm a professor and that'll also be when I know whether I get tenure or not, so it'd be a good double celebration).

Originally posted by phatte View Post

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
                          I can buy Carmina at Skoaktiebolaget for $450 and they pay shipping and duty. $55 more for a much, much better grade of shoe. AE is going to price themselves out of business.
                          Carmina does this from their main site. Skoak includes a pair of their own shoe trees which are $95 and you get a pair of Carmina trees from their main site. I think the fuss of the Carmina price increase was offset by the addition of shoe trees with the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                            Carmina does this from their main site. Skoak includes a pair of their own shoe trees which are $95 and you get a pair of Carmina trees from their main site. I think the fuss of the Carmina price increase was offset by the addition of shoe trees with the purchase.
                            i pay $8 for shoetrees...$95 is still quite the upcharge!

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                              i pay $8 for shoetrees...$95 is still quite the upcharge!
                              It's lasted shoe trees. Big difference if you buy higher quality footwear.

Comment

Working...
                              X