Struggling with fit on Allen Edmonds 5 last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with fit on Allen Edmonds 5 last

Greetings, forum. I have spent weeks and taken multiple trips to the AE store to find the right fit in AE's 5 last. I don't want to give up on this last - I think it offers the best design, quality, and cost. I would appreciate any input on the best size.

On the Brannock, I am between a 12B/12C, but the 12B and 12C shoes do not fit snugly on my heel - there is heel slippage. I currently wear the 11.5D, which fits nicely on my heel and offers the best toe space, but the lace gap (V-gap) is too large (1"). If I tie it any tighter, the tongue presses down on my foot and makes my feet red by the end of the day. I don't even have a high instep. 11.5E is too wide, since it has bowing around the heel. I even tried 11D and 11E, but length-wise they don't fit.

Should I just continue wearing the 11.5Ds, hoping my pants will cover the large V-gap?

Edit: I should specify that I am trying on the balmorals (Park Avenues and Strands).
    Last edited by po_5; March 1, 2016, 10:32 AM.

The 5 last is very long and somewhat narrow, so it makes sense that you'd have to size down on it. I wear a 12 in most sneakers - and even some leather shoes, such as J. Crew's Kenton line and Banana Republic shoes - and yet I'm an 11D on the 5 last. On most dress shoes, I'm an 11.5.

So, 11.5D is probably the right size for you, but you could try 11.5B or 11.5C (not many shoes sold in a C, for some reason).

In all honesty, though, if the fit is right, I wouldn't worry too much about the gap. Your pants will cover most of it, and few other people really care.
    Last edited by srlclark; March 1, 2016, 04:01 PM.

Comment

It could be because you have a high instep, or just a very full foot. The last isn't for everyone, and if you are desperate to keep it, either deal with the wider v-gap (I didn't know wide v-gaps were an issue until reading this post), or stick to your brannock size and get an insole to minimize heel slip.

Comment

I go really snug on the 5 last and after a dozen wears or so they fit perfectly. I am midway between and 11 and 11.5 c/d on a Brannock but go down to a 10.5D on the 5 last. I have a pair of Park Avenues in 11D but they are just a little too long. The 10.5D are very snug and after a long day my "dogs are barking" but as I said, after about a dozen days or so they fit like a glove. You may just have to lace it tight and deal with the redness for a few wears. Or it may be that the 5 last just isn't for you. I have that problem with a handful of last from other shoemakers being that I am kind of an in-between size (between an 11 and 11.5 and a C and D); Some shoes just aren't made for my feet.

Comment

Oddly, I measure 10.5 C on a Brannock, and that is the only size that fits me well in a Strand/PArk Ave. I had crazy heel slippage in both the 10 and 10.5 D's. I'm typically a 10 in other shoes.
          Last edited by Alex.C; March 1, 2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Shoes come in different shapes for a reason. If the 5 last doesn't work for you, why try to force your foot into it? There are a multitude of other options that may fit you better. I would move on.

Comment

I'm having the same trouble with this last. It pinches my toes since I am between sizes. A 12 is small and a 13 is too large. Problem is many of the shoes on the 5 last do not come in a 12.5 which would probably fit me just right. I keep trying because I like the look of the shoes on the 5 last and can't afford some of the other options. My budget only allows for shoebank seconds and the sizes/styles are limited. I am thinking of taking mine to a cobbler and seeing if they could stretch them a bit for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post
                I'm having the same trouble with this last. It pinches my toes since I am between sizes. A 12 is small and a 13 is too large. Problem is many of the shoes on the 5 last do not come in a 12.5 which would probably fit me just right. I keep trying because I like the look of the shoes on the 5 last and can't afford some of the other options. My budget only allows for shoebank seconds and the sizes/styles are limited. I am thinking of taking mine to a cobbler and seeing if they could stretch them a bit for me.
                The Shoe Bank has 12.5. http://shoebank.com/ Don't expect stretching to do much -- I've had shoes stretched and the change was minimal -- I would go with the 12.5D.

Comment

Originally posted by po_5 View Post
                  The Shoe Bank has 12.5. http://shoebank.com/ Don't expect stretching to do much -- I've had shoes stretched and the change was minimal -- I would go with the 12.5D.
                  From now on, I will whenever possible. But the selection is very limited in the 12.5. Sometimes I'm looking for a particular style or price point.

Comment

i have a high instep, and i fit 5 last stuff pretty good in my actual width.

but you'll always have some gap, my advice would be just to be ok with it, or start looking at derbys.

Comment

Jos A Bank sells those shoes on the 7 last.

Comment

Working...
                      X