AE Macneil Rough Brown question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AE Macneil Rough Brown question

Hey fellas. I received my Rough Brown AE MacNeils today and they fit great. However one thing I noticed is that one shoe has quite a few scratches on it. I realize the leather is supposed to look distressed, but I'm not sure if this damage is out of the ordinary. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7010216511/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6864099392/

@runnerguy: They should not be normal for 1st quality. IF these are seconds, that's to be expected.

Comment

From my personal experience.... this is very common with AE. I've purchased firsts and seconds. Every single pair I've ever seen has some kind of flaw. It is what it is I suppose.

Comment

Well I bought them during the $129 deal, so I don't know if they are seconds or not. Just wondering if I should keep them or not.

Comment

I'd keep them. 129 is a good deal for AEs, and you'd most likely would get scratches on them eventually. Some conditioner might clear up those scratches as well

Comment

speaking of which AF... I know this has been discussed before, but I just neglected to read about it. What is standard care procedure for leather AE shoes out of box? What crap should I be slathering on these things before I wear them too much?

Comment

Thanks for the input. I really do love the color and design of them. I probably will just keep them.

@frost - Others have said that just a simple leather conditioner would be fine for these. I don't think they are really designed to be polished.

Comment

@frost: standard care differs depending on the material. If you are referring to rough leather macneils, usually some conditioner/cleaner on them is good enough.

If you are referring to your AE calf skin, then the care differs depending on how much of a mirror finish you want and whether or not you want a darker captoe with bullying. I prefer to just use conditioner and cleaner first, then do two coats or the AE premium polish, a cream-wax hybrid, and that gives me enough of the shine I want.

What AEs do you have frost?

Comment

AF: I have the McTavish in black, the Strand in black, and the MacNeils in brown.. Any particular type of conditioner? Something I can pick up at a Target?

Comment

If you want to cover up the scratches first condition with something like Lexol, then use some dark brown cream polish over the whole shoe, let sit, and brush

@Acoustic cream polish should go on before wax... wax is used to put the outer layer of wax to shine, the cream also has some conditioner and more pigment to fill in scuffs, etc.

Comment

@JC: Yes I know, I meant to indicate that the AE premium polish is a wax-cream hybrid.

@frost: Hmm, never shopped for conditioner at target before so I'm not sure. I just use the AE cleaner/conditioner. They might carry lexol as Jason has indicated.

Comment

Working...
                      X