This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
    Except SuitSupply has been doing this for a few years now. Have you seen previous campaigns? Or is it the words that bother you more than the sexually charged marketing? Not sure why this time around their taking a lot more flack.
    I'm pretty sure they've gotten flak around here for several years. I distinctly remember discussions about their campaign from two or three years ago when their ads were a lot more overtly sexual. Sometimes their marketing is better than other times (I didn't think last year's naked-ladies-on-the-beach thing was that bad), but if I'm actively aware that their marketing is particularly tasteless at any given moment (like now, for instance), I'm less likely to sing the company's praises to random people.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by goodwillhinton View Post
      Sorry but the whole point of marketing isn't to get people talking. The point is to get people buying. And I don't see this marketing campaign doing that.

I'm a customer and a big fan of SS's suits. But lame ad campaigns like this make me embarrassed to tell people where I got my suits. While they haven't lost me as a customer, they have lost me as a brand advocate.
      Well said.

Comment

This is an interesting discussion. I would hope that those who are ardently opposed to the SS campaign also boycott or vocally decry college and professional sports teams for their use of sexual imagery in the form of cheerleaders year in, year out.

FWIW I don't watch sports, and I DO find the SS campaign to be in bad taste. I prefer bad taste photographs however, to buying from companies that have questionable human rights practices in their production facilities, as many (or most) fast fashion or low cost clothing companies tend to. While we can and should aspire to eradicate both, I know which one I consider to be more egregious.

Yes, I am generalizing a bit, but I feel the point is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by slows2k View Post
          This is an interesting discussion. I would hope that those who are ardently opposed to the SS campaign also boycott or vocally decry college and professional sports teams for their use of sexual imagery in the form of cheerleaders year in, year out.
          I'm not sure that anyone posting here is opposed to "sexual imagery" in general. (For that matter, I didn't see anyone here call for a boycott nor "ardently" oppose the campaign.) I think SuitSupply's marketing is just really tacky. I'm not offended by it. I do think it's somewhat discouraging of word-of-mouth recommendations, though.

I don't think cheerleaders are "tacky" in quite the same way, though I'll admit I don't even understand why they're there. I almost never even see them when watching sports. Maybe the presence is more noticeable in person.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
            It would be difficult for me to recommend them to someone at work.

"Suit Supply make great suits. You should check them out, but probably not at work if anyone can see your monitor."
            "Huh?"
            "Well, their ads are tasteless and overtly sexual and possibly demeaning to women."
            "Oh."
            "But, yeah, the suits are nice..."
            If this were to be a real conversation, I'm curious why you'd feel the need to pass your judgement on to someone else and not let them make up their own opinion on the matter. What would be wrong with saying "I bought the suit at SS" and leaving it that?

Or are you guilty for having bought your suit there and are trying to head off any criticism of your purchasing decision before it gets to you?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              If this were to be a real conversation, I'm curious why you'd feel the need to pass your judgement on to someone else and not let them make up their own opinion on the matter. What would be wrong with saying "I bought the suit at SS" and leaving it that?

Or are you guilty for having bought your suit there and are trying to head off any criticism of your purchasing decision before it gets to you?
              I'd have the same convo. It's not about passing judgment on as much as neutralizing any potential judgement of me for recommending them. He said Suit Supply? I cannot even look at that stuff at work. Why would he recommend that? Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                I'd have the same convo. It's not about passing judgment on as much as neutralizing any potential judgement of me for recommending them. He said Suit Supply? I cannot even look at that stuff at work. Why would he recommend that? Etc.
                This is the entire point I think hockeysc, Ben and I are trying to make, which doesn't seem, to be landing. Whether you personally agree with (or care about) the SuSu advertising, you would be risking judgment by others in a professional setting if they didn't agree with or like the advertising. Again, this is more of an issue in conservative business settings, but all the same -- I'd likely still recommend to friends if they asked for a good OTR suggestion (and give the caveat for their ads being bold/controversial), but likely not to coworkers/business contacts/acquaintances in the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  It's exactly this. I wouldn't feel any guilt about buying from Suit Supply. I would be concerned about others judging me for sending them to that site, though. There are lots of things that I don't feel guilty about but still don't want to share with others out of concern for being judged. For example, I don't generally share that I spend time on this forum.

Comment

A lot of thread necromancy by first-time posters in recent weeks...

Comment

Yes indeed.

Comment

Working...
                      X