This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suit Supply marketing

I know there was some mention of their new marketing campaign when they posted that really strange image of a guy coming out of a mouth or whatever...but what are people's thoughts on the images that just came out today? They seem to be getting a lot of instagram hate for some of them. The one where the guy is slapping an ass is a little over the top I suppose. I don't really get offended by ads ever but this seems a little more controversial than needed. Or maybe they wanted some controversy?

Originally posted by mattsedlak View Post
    I know there was some mention of their new marketing campaign when they posted that really strange image of a guy coming out of a mouth or whatever...but what are people's thoughts on the images that just came out today? They seem to be getting a lot of instagram hate for some of them. The one where the guy is slapping an ass is a little over the top I suppose. I don't really get offended by ads ever but this seems a little more controversial than needed. Or maybe they wanted some controversy?
    They've always had sexual marketing. This latest campaign took it too far in my opinion.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Tom Ford did similar things with his time at Gucci to save the company. I'm sure they are just trying to get more people talking about the collection. Marketing has always been about sex, in the 60s it was seeing a little bit to much thigh and in the 2010s it's showing a little to much rear end. They have always been like this. A few seasons ago it was the pool with top less women.

Comment

Last year they had a topless woman underwater and while I'm sure some people were offended by that too it was a pretty cool shot I thought. Yeah this one is kinda just whatever.

Comment

Apparently the message is, men are dicks.

I think it's stupid. It makes me a little embarrassed to talk about or recommend Suitsupply to anyone outside of this kind of forum context.

I understand the company is European and the social mores are somewhat different, particularly regarding sexuality. I'm ok with sexuality, and certainly not "offended," but this version of it just seems a bit puerile.
          Ben

Comment

I'm more offended by the terrible use of Photoshop than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by BobLikesDeals View Post
              lol. I agree. It just looks crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by BobLikesDeals View Post
                Last year's underwater stuff was fine in my opinion -- sure it was sexual, and some people would like it, others not, but at least they were well done and somewhat artistic. These pics are neither and just leave me wonder who approved them for distribution...

Comment

I'm pretty sex-positive, so not liking the SS campaigns has nothing to do with being prudish or PC for me, it's just poor marketing and art direction and rather tasteless. Gucci, Armani, etc. all manage to use nude or semi-nude male and female models in their magazine ads while still maintaining a veneer of professionalism and artistry. Naked women underwater isn't really artsy to me, it's "ooh, tits."

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                    Last year's underwater stuff was fine in my opinion -- sure it was sexual, and some people would like it, others not, but at least they were well done and somewhat artistic. These pics are neither and just leave me wonder who approved them for distribution...
                    I thought last year's campaign was great. It was much more tasteful than this year's also. Last year was certainly sexual. I feel like this year is somewhat vulgar.
                    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

I agree some of these photos are tasteless. How does this sell more suits? I assume they are trying to project a bad boy image to avoid being viewed solely as a retailer for conservative work clothes.

Comment

I don't think they really give a sh* about what they display on their website. They sell fantastic stuff regardless of the way they display their website and won't be losing repeat business because of it. It was a mostly word of mouth business in the first place. Looks like they're just having fun with it, even though some might find it tasteless. There's too much PC Principal going on nowadays, and I like how they don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
                          I agree some of these photos are tasteless. How does this sell more suits? I assume they are trying to project a bad boy image to avoid being viewed solely as a retailer for conservative work clothes.
                          Yup. Some people out there buy because of the brand/marketing. For those people, suit supply's website wins and brook brothers' loses.

Comment

it's just pictures on the internet.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                              Yup. Some people out there buy because of the brand/marketing. For those people, suit supply's website wins and brook brothers' loses.
                              That goes both ways. Brooks Brothers image is more adult oriented. The SS marketing makes me feel like at 32 I am too old for their clothing. Their marketing seems geared towards men 18-23.
                              You can never have enough shoes

Comment

Working...
                              X