X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post

YOU KNOW it's funny, i haven't' done anything with them. i kind of already have wingtips like that anyway, and these don't even fit me

the little rolled edging piece on the back top of the heel is kind of messed up. I thought maybe i could replace it but I haven't really had luck sourcing it. I also haven't looked that hard LOL

i'm not exactly a shoe maker, maybe a shoe fiddler at best. I really don't think there is anything I can do. So they're just sitting on my shelf I guess.

Mostly theyre in good shape, besides a few little spots i guess. sorry I wish i had more better news than that LOL
    Well, I got my shoes back from the patina guy today and I am impressed! They look better than I thought they could.

So, if you want to invest about $350-$400 more into those shoes, I can refer you to some cobblers who fix them up and a person who can do a great job restoring the finish. But I'm guessing that's not what you want to do.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

Have you continued getting them in better shape? I have some vintage Florsheim shell shoes--Just to win the ebay auction was $250. Then the resoling. And now I am waiting to get them back from yet another restoration project (stripping and re-dying because after I stripped off 50 years of polish, the leather in the shoes didn't match).

I am into them for about what I would have paid for new Alden shell shoes. I don't think they were a good investment.

But from a thrift store like yours? SWEET!
    YOU KNOW it's funny, i haven't' done anything with them. i kind of already have wingtips like that anyway, and these don't even fit me

the little rolled edging piece on the back top of the heel is kind of messed up. I thought maybe i could replace it but I haven't really had luck sourcing it. I also haven't looked that hard LOL

i'm not exactly a shoe maker, maybe a shoe fiddler at best. I really don't think there is anything I can do. So they're just sitting on my shelf I guess.

Mostly theyre in good shape, besides a few little spots i guess. sorry I wish i had more better news than that LOL

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    These beautiful Shell Cordovan wingtips from the late 1970s were found at a local Savers store. I spent an hour polishing them for looking like they were covered in red mold to this kind of dull shine. I think they're going to need a lot more elbow grease but they will come back eventually.

They were made for "VAUGHN AT SATHERGATE". This is a defunct Menay store 3000 miles west of me, formerly in Berklee CA

Have you continued getting them in better shape? I have some vintage Florsheim shell shoes--Just to win the ebay auction was $250. Then the resoling. And now I am waiting to get them back from yet another restoration project (stripping and re-dying because after I stripped off 50 years of polish, the leather in the shoes didn't match).

I am into them for about what I would have paid for new Alden shell shoes. I don't think they were a good investment.

But from a thrift store like yours? SWEET!

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    funny enough i have not had any good thrift trips since that one day i found the shell shoes.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Wow. What an awesome find. I never think to look at the local second hand/shift shops for shoes. I might need to rethink that. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    These beautiful Shell Cordovan wingtips from the late 1970s were found at a local Savers store. I spent an hour polishing them for looking like they were covered in red mold to this kind of dull shine. I think they're going to need a lot more elbow grease but they will come back eventually.

They were made for "VAUGHN AT SATHERGATE". This is a defunct Menay store 3000 miles west of me, formerly in Berklee CA

Leave a comment:

• gclefstreetwear
    replied
    I do thrift from time to time. The only reason I do not is it consumes so much of my time I'm usually stuck. Haha! But seriously, there are lot of legit items that can be found while thrifting.

Leave a comment:

• SebastianBailey
    replied
    I go thrifting sometimes

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    so as one of the dappered Thrifting thread stalwarts, i wanted to say that I am back at it again. Haven't found a single thing LOL but it will eventually happen.

I think the best I found was a set of UK Doctor Martens, Doctor Martens, Doctor Martens booots for my littler sister.

Leave a comment:

• Zeprez
    replied
    Hi

Recently bought a pair of Cordovan (!!) AE Grayson on eBay for $50.00 (!!!!) and an Alden for $60 .. The Alden are in near new shape... The AE from the pictures, look good.. New heel perhaps a recrafting ..

I think I am done for the next 2 decades... for shoes

Leave a comment:

• mhip
    replied
    Like new Burberry polo for I think $15 was probably my best score.

Leave a comment:

• Gman56
    replied
    I go once every couple of months. Recently bought a perfect condition Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirt for $2.50.
    I found the same shirt on their website for $140
    Their selection of dress shirts is usually pretty good.
    The Goodwill I visit is a few miles from a neighborhood with multi million dollar homes.

Leave a comment:

• hauttedoggie
    replied
    Originally posted by jonATL View Post

Oh, and I found these two no-name Italian squares at Goodwill the other day (I never find pocket squares at GW).

very jealous, those pocket squares offer a lot of possibilities...congrats on the find

Leave a comment:

• jonATL
    replied
    So cheap I feel like I committed a felony:

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Wow. Now that watch takes me back!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X