Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just went by the store.. sold. Next time I'll by first ask questions later..

Comment

@sgates: those look like they are in great shape! buy buy buy!

EDIT: damn saw that you missed out on the royal imperials

Comment

Sometimes, just the history of items you find is worth the visit, even if you don't buy anything.

Kools brand jeans. Probably 30 of them. Made in the USA and very sub-par quality. I had to do some digging to find out where they came from and this is what I found:

http://skately.com/library/brands/kools

A skate brand from the 90's. I wonder who was keeping all the deadstock here in central California?

I also found a pair of Banister brand brogue captoe shoes in black (8.5B, no pics, sorry). They're on-par with AE and even softer, IMO. Dug around google and found out they're est. 1885 and have a little history behind them as well.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/227490/banister-shoes

I can proxy if anyone's interested. I may go back for those shoes just to see if I can sell them or send the pair to the Banister family.

Comment

@sgates0, what size did you need for the shoes?

Comment

@Glen I would probably need 9-9.5, I saw the pair someone posted on ebay if that's what you're refering too. Truthfully I was only buying them because of the great price. My next pair of shoes should probably be a captoe. I have the mccalisters in tan now and need something less loud. Thanks though

Comment

Picked up:

1) what appears to be a boiled wool blazer (in navy of course @BB, @tomservo) which will be perfect for winter;

2) a 36S grey multi-microflecked suit for a buddy of mine who is super thin/small. Unsure of make (I checked everywhere) but a very well made suit;

3) Gieves & Hawkes 3 piece pinstripe suit. Yes, you read that correctly. My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets in disbelief. However, there is a reason a suit like that ends up at a thrift store. Though it fit well, upon closer inspection I noticed a few flaws which render it unsaleable (but perhaps you have a different opinion).

The vest is impeccable and in excellent condition. The suit is fine, but the major flaw is either a loss of material or a loosening of the weave which ends up in leaving a small hole on the right jacket sleeve exposing the inner lining material. This is likely a dealbreaker because of its location, though one cannot really see it even in daylight unless one knows where to look.

The pants have a two button waist cincher (for lack of a better term). Basically, there is a sheath of material under which a strip of material extends to button to one of two buttons to help restrict of expand the waistline. However, this strip of material is missing on the right side.

TLR

I am going to see what can be done to repair the jacket sleeve for my own use, but I am not looking to spend a lot of money on a suit I got for $12.91. Also, I'm not sure what can be done. Any suggestions?

For the pants, I will see what can be done for the right side, but I will likely end up removing the left strip as well for uniformity's sake. I will likely have my tailor take in the waist on the pants anyway.

Comment

Suggestion: Leave it. It's most certainly licensed Gieves & Hawkes by Hickey Freeman, which is OK, but if there's that much damage (and it's pinstripe), I think it will be pretty costly to repair well.

Are there any tags at all in the 36 S?

Comment

@jonATL, too late I picked up the G&G. Doh. Thanks for the heads-up on the probably provenance.

That's the baffling thing about the 36S - no tags whatsoever. I wonder if it was a custom job made overseas or something for somebody. My buddy is going to try it on this weekend; will let you know if he passes on it. It should go to a good home though as there are no flaws that I could see. If you want to take a look, we could likely meetup somewhere. ccclaw at gmail dot com.

Comment

Added a couple more things to my huge list of "did-not-buy" items:

British Walkers in size 8EEE

70%Wool/30%Cashmere blend sportcoat from Uniqlo. It fit, but I just hate the high button stance.

Comment

Finally found a pretty nice camel hair SC in my size. Brooks Brothers, 38 Short, from Fall 2008. $10, which I was happy to pay for personal use.

Also found a crazy Jil Sander overcoat that I need to research a bit, but it should bring my some ebay money.

Comment

The local thrift stores have been rather sparse on items lately - or maybe it's JONATL that's getting there before I am!

Comment

These were OTP finds. But finds, in general, have been few and far between. This has been my first full summer season thrifting, and it has been tough! I can't wait for fall.

Comment

So at my local thrift store they have some decent blazers, but I can't seem to find labels on them to see what the fabric is or even what size. I check the pockets inside and out and can't find anything. What I do find are labels pointing to a custom tailor who I've never heard of; anyone have any experience with this? If it helps I can snap a picture today or tomorrow. They 'seem' to be quality

Yeah, I know they're only 10 bucks, but I'd feel weird buying something, taking it home to find out it's made out of cat fur or something, and return in to the same place the next day. (I'll probably end up forgetting about that and buy it again.)

Comment

I have the same problem. ThriftyGent had a post on judging quality that's helped me. Feeling for canvassing, looking for finished seams in unlined jackets and just feeling as many different cloths as possible have helped me. I'm also of the opinion that fit trumps nearly everything, so I'm willing to gamble on the unknown.

Comment

Not to brag (okay, maybe a little!) but I got this folio from the fleamarket today. Made by Renwick.

Comment

Working...
                                X