Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, here's a few after shots. I took a bunch of before pics that unfortunately were deleted. So now Im left with a few mediocre before pics and some slightly less mediocre after pics... regardless Im pretty happy with how these turned out. Some no shoe tree pics as well. The black ones were in much better shape and cleaning them did wonders. You can some other pics on the thread I started on SF ( I didnt want to clutter this thread) http://www.styleforum.net/t/304893/indentify-these-old-vintage-florsheim-longwings#post_5578062

Comment

Fantastic! Congrats

Comment

Those florsheims cleaned up pretty well!

I'm actually on the hunt for a beater pair of longwings that I can wear with jeans / out the the bars and not have to worry about them.

Would love to find something like that for $4.

Comment

Really awesome job cleaning up those florsheims. Very impressive.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

I've put some of my thrifting treasures on ebay (I've got such a backlog, it's not even funny! The actual hunt is, of course, a lot more fun than posting stuff on ebay). Ties by Brioni, J Press, Vineyard Vines and, um, Vuitton. Oxxford and Corneliani SCs.

I'll hopefully be posting a lot more in the near future.

If you are so inclined: http://tinyurl.com/bm68kjw

Comment

Finally went thrifting around my area (lots of wealthy folks) picked up a few J. Crew slimmer fitting button downs, a few Banana Republic sweaters and a pair of Banana Republic straight fit chinos brand new!

Comment

A little tip for the discernible thrifter on the South side of Chicago....or near 294. There is a thrift store called Pass It On Thrift that has 3 pairs of size 11 Allen Edmonds in great shape. I don't love the style and they're not my size but I know that they are desirable in their current condition. Based off what I've seen so far, someone will shine them up and make them look like brand spanking new. I'm not an expert but they look like boat shoes with bell-shaped tassels, slightly burgundy. The other pair I believe is black. Either way, if you're in the area, check it out. Here's the link to the store for directions: http://www.piothriftcenter.org/

Comment

I'll follow up my previous post with a question. I found an amazing blue checkered, french cuff dress shirt at Goodwill for 5 dollars. In my excitement of finding it, I paid no attention to the fit although the neck fits perfectly. Unfortunately, the arms are still too wide, the sides would need to be taken in as well. Is it worth it to pay for the tailoring or just eat my losses and donate it back? I believe it's a Signature Collection by Tom James shirt (never heard of the brand)

Comment

Just scored J&M Meltons for $8... Good shape... Just need new heels.

Comment

Maybe everybody knows this, but it was news to me: I was talking to a guy collecting stuff for the Salvation Army today, and he told me that everything donated in a given area goes to one big sorting center and then gets shipped back out at random to retail locations. That means there might be good finds in places you might not expect them. I stopped by a Salvation Army in a fairly gritty part of town today and found a NWT Ralph Lauren sport coat that fit pretty well for $5 (MSRP $350). Does Goodwill operate like this, too?

Comment

BB: Yes, it does. I found my first pair of Alden shell cordovans for Brooks Brothers in a sketchy Goodwill.

Doug: If you like the Tom James shirt, and it's something you would wear, I'd at least take it to a tailor to see how much it would cost to make it right. That doesn't mean you have to go through with it. For Tom James, I'd pass.

Comment

I've been something of a small time thrifter for about a year and a half. There's a Savers that I've tried to check out on a somewhat regular basis. While I haven't walked out of there with any four thousand dollar suits or a sweet pair of Allen Edmonds, I have found a good number of reasonable quality items that have become critical pieces of my wardrobe.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a brown leather belt and I happened across one. I bought it because I could feel that the belt was leather, it was still in almost new condition as well as my size, and it was the shade I was looking for. Today, I got intrigued by looking into the possible brand and retail value of the belt. The branding on the belt is "Lejon Tulliani" which is seemingly a brand made in California, if Lejon's website is to be believed. Looking around some more I couldn't find an exact match of the belt anywhere and the belt itself has "China" stamped on the back near the tail.

Though I love the belt whether or not it's genuine (and if it's a knock-off they certainly used good leather), I was wondering if anyone knew of a good database or resource or has any personal knowledge about the Lejon/Tulliani brand.

Comment

@John, thanks. That was kinda my thought. I put it back on and really looked at it and it's just too much of an investment for the quality of the shirt.

Comment

I found a tan colored Ermenegildo Zegna belt at Goodwill today. I decided not to buy it, because a) it was $29.99, which feels like a lot for a thrifted belt, and b) it's 40" long, and my waist size is 33". I didn't think to take a photo, but the leather quality looks amazing in comparison anything I already own.

If it's still there tomorrow, should I buy it? And if I do, how hard will it be to find a cobbler to shorten it, and how much will I pay for this?

Comment

@maccoinnich: What is the design of the belt? You can shorten it yourself pretty easily depending on how its constructed

Comment

Working...
                                X