Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Jason Still interested? Otherwise I'm putting it up for sale.

Comment

I think it's gonna be a little tight on me, so I'm gonna have to pass.

Comment

@Alan no I haven't tried that yet. They usually sell over priced items in that thrift shop which doesn't draw me to it nearly as often as others. Blazers are min. 20$ a pop, whether its crap, torn, or old. Granted I did find a 3 button Brioni in there. Next time I am in there, I will glance at them once again, locked up in a display case under the register, and come up with an offer that will greatly benefit me!

Comment

Anyone here a 43R? I picked up a Brooks Brothers suit at Goodwill a few weeks ago but I've been too busy to get around to flipping stuff until this past week. It's heathered charcoal and I think it's their main line (label just says "Brooks Brothers - Established 1818" or something).

I'll take some measurements tomorrow.

Ben

Comment

@BenR I'm anywhere from a 40-44L. Know the fluctuation sounds crazy, but only by trying stuff on at the thrift stores did I realize how different cuts, etc could be. I picked up a charcoal-ish HF suit a few weeks ago, but the "heathered" bit has me intrigued.

Comment

Here are the measurements:

Jacket

19.75" shoulder to shoulder

31" length from collar seam

25" sleeve length + 1" to let out

22.5" across the chest at 1" below the pit

22" waist

Two button with a single vent

Pants:

30.5" inseam with 1.5" to let out

30.5-31" waist with 1-2" to let out

Double-pleated with a fairly high waist

Ben

Comment

Walked over to the Goodwill in my new neighborhood and picked up a tie. There were some cashmere sweaters, but each had either a burn mark or a tear. I'll be swinging by there regularly... =)

Comment

Finally got a chance to go thrifting this past weekend, and did alright. Found a fully canvassed 100% cashmere jacket in 36R by The Oxford Shop, two pairs of shoe trees, and one J&M captoe in my size, but the mate was nowhere to be found. I went back today to try and find the mate, as they said they would look for it, and of course, the lone shoe is now MIA as well. Luckily I took a quick peak back at the jackets and found a Indochino sportcoat that fits better than anything I own, much less had tailored so far, which is ridiculous. Who gets rid of a MTM jacket, especially from such a recent company?

I also found 3 pairs of Salvatore Ferragamos in 7.5D, two captoes in brown and black, and one double monk, which I've been looking for forever. I'll be keeping the browns and probably offering the black to Brianpore on SF at cost.

Back in the game!

Comment

Nice find on the Ferragamos! I've never even seen one in a thrift 'round these parts.

Regarding shoes, I showed my wife the Burgundy Aldens I picked up for myself on Saturday along with the AE Walnut strands that need some work, but will still be highly functional, and she asked, How many shoes do you need? Wow. I felt like, well, you know ...

Anyway ... today's nice pickup. 11.5 suede Alden wingtips with a serious sole. Some takers on SF, I think, but if those fall through ...:

And don't sleep on the art. I got this for $15:

http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5f/5f8ed888_2012-04-16_19-01-49_209.jpeg

I think it's a hand colored print by the artist, but it could also be a recent reprint. I'm going to search out an expert tomorrow.

I feel like Dave from Storage Wars! THIS COULD BE A STRADAVARIUS!!! Oh, it's a non-descript child-sized violin? ok.

Comment

Even if the painting turns out to be worthless, you can always try your hand at this:

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/adding-monsters-to-thrift-store-paintings/

P.S. I don't fall over myself over suede shoes the way some folks here do but those Aldens are super smexy (and practical). They'd definitely pique my interest if they were in my size.

Ben

Comment

Here is a quick shot of them straight from the store pre-revival.

Comment

And those Alden's rule. I need a few more suedes to kick around in..

Comment

Went back to hunt down those AEs. The ones I had hoped for were gone, but I found another pair that were in better condition. Also 8.5Cs. Hopefully I can stretch them out.

Also found a pair of slim J Crew essential chinos from a recent season. Probably a size up from what I would order at retail, but they still fit well. This is actually the first pair of pants I've ever thrifted successfully.

Comment

And I appear to have posted a picture far too large.. it looked alright on my phone last night! Hope I didn't break the thread..

Comment

I've been scouring the internet for a price for these shoes, but I've found nothing on ebay. Sometimes, the best thing to do is ask a dealer:

The shoes in the photos are an Alden discontinued production style.

They are Brown Kudu Leather Long Wing Tips on the Barrie Last.

They have a reverse welt and Goodyear crepe lug soles.

The retail price (new) was $415.00.

So, nice pickup, i guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X