Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No clue. Good thrifting spots are something you have to find for yourself. The people who know aren't going to want to tell you.

Comment

My advice? Stay away from thrifting.

Comment

Patience pays off:

I've wanted (not needed) brown cords for a while now. I have a pair of ON slim cords in an almost brownish-gray but could never find the more chocolate color I wanted. Yesterday I found NWT brown Gap straight cords for $5. Nothing spectacular by any means, but fills a desire for my wardrobe.

I've also been looking for any sort of denim-ish shirt but it appears that every single person in my area who wears one is over 200 pounds.

Comment

@Chern: Most of my thrift finds either fill needs or are just fun items moreso than high-end treasures. I found a GAP sportcoat, and I love it.

Comment

@Jason The fabric feels like flannel. Not as soft as cashmere, but softer than most.

Comment

BEHOLD: seven-fold!!!

http://cdn.styleforum.net/6/64/64c69...7da01621e.jpeg

Comment

That is a nice looking tie. Have some stuff to take to GW on my lunch break so I'll browse around and see what I can find.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Nice find, Jon! And it's a tie that someone might actually wear!

Comment

@Alan, Thanks. I'm probably keeping it, but I need to sell a lot of my stuff because I keep buying things to trade/flip and then decide I'm too lazy to list the deets.

Today's finds in cell phone+car+rush to get back to work pictorial glory:

(42 R) (same thing except, of course, color: http://www.styleforum.net/t/295166/s...s-welcome/0_50)

(same size?)

41 R Hickey Freeman suit. Sorry for the strange angle, but look at the fabric. This thing is awesome.

Comment

I found a Corneliani blazer at GoodWill the other day, and picked it up to resell it on eBay. Italian-made 100% lambswool, though I hesitated to pick it up because it's a ventless 3-button, which isn't really a big style these days. Since it was only $5, though, I'll turn a profit even if I can only sell it for $20.

Ben

Comment

Wow, great finds jon and ben! Went to 2 places today and came back empty-handed. It's too bad I'm not a 17/33 shirt-wearer, because somebody dropped off 3 HF shirts (2 red/white large gingham, 1 purple/white), 1 Zegna (white), and a ton of BB 1818/Makers oxford shirts just recently. They're all going for $6 right now. Great condition. No jackets/suits for me.

I didnt purchase them because they're too big/short but I'm tempted to go back, buy them, and then flip them but I don't see them selling very well online and based on the cut I'd get from the consignment store (like 60% I think) from the price they'll be listed at (probably around 25-30), it's not really worth the trouble if they don't sell. Part of me thinks they will because everybody in this city is overweight and wears bigger sized shirts/likes BB. But for a $6-10 profit-per-shirt, I don't think it's worth it - do any of you think it is?

Comment

So someone died with an 8.5 shoe collection. About 5 pairs of AE's yesterday. Here's the catch: the store really marked them up. One Park Ave (which was basically mint) was $70!! Others were $50 and $60. I thought about buying another that was sorta worn in for $30, but I was a little weary for some reason. Kinda wish I bought it now.

Comment

@JOse, is 8.5 ur shoe size? Or did u purchase them to flip em?

I found those same prices at a Thrift Store which had AE's that were practically brand new and donated by a Mens Boutique to help raise funds for an organization that the Thrift Store was selling for 95$ each. I told them they were crazy. I looked at the shoe sizes and they were like 11AA 12B all these crazy rare sizes that would be hard to turn profit on quickly. I was like no wonder the Mens Boutique donated them, they are all sizes they don't get rid of. This was 2 months ago, and they are still sitting on their shelves....people...

Comment

@Tat:

I'm normally 9, but the 8.5C was a nice snug fit (does anyone else size down in AEs?). I would have bought them for myself. I'm going back on Monday, so I might still grab them. The $70 one might have only been worn twice. The print on the sole was still shimmering. But yeah I don't think they'll ever sell that. There are a pair of ugly, fair condition Cole Haan loafers that are unwittingly priced at $50. Been sitting there for 4 months at least.

--------

PTO episode about thrifting: http://putthison.com/post/20847215403/put-this-on-season-two-episode-2

Pretty cool, although now I am very jealous. I love how he passed up an Ascot Chang and a Paul Smith shirt because they weren't good enough, only to go with the Turnbull & Asser.

-_________________-

Comment

@Tat: Have you considered making them an offer on the lot?

Comment

Working...
                                X