This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. Here are all the pants up for grabs:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/287214/the-un-official-thrift-buy-sell-trade-want-thread/100_50#post_5334353

And if anyone wants the J Crew charcoals, I'll throw in a BR charcoal in the same size.

Comment

Stopped at the local GW on Wednesday with a good feeling. I was surprised by how busy it was in the middle of the day, but thankful the small men's section wasn't crowded at all. Seems like a lot of stuff is still there from months ago but I noticed they put new price tags on them. Not sure if the price changed, but each tag is dated so maybe they don't want people knowing an item has been on the rack for a long time?

Because the section is pretty small for men, I usually spend most of my time looking at sport coats and suits. All duds but I did come across a really cool selvedge jean jacket. It's still in my car so I forget the brand but will look into it later. It is a XXL, too big for me as it sits, but if there is zero interest it will become an experiment. I feel like even the GW is getting more expensive.. whomp. It was the first time I've seen a selvedge denim jacket in person (didn't know they made those but wouldn't see why they wouldn't). The denim is still raw which I may used to my advantage if I hold on to it.

Comment

Went to a few places today and scored some good stuff.

If you wear size 8.5 shoes I've got a couple cool pairs... If you wear size 44L, 46L, or 48L I've got some great suits.

@Tony, I picked up a Hickey Freeman sportcoat made with the same houndstooth Loro Piana fabric... If you've still got that one I'm interested if the fabric is the same stuff as this. Super soft like a cloud on your fingers.

Comment

Here's the shooz:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the...0#post_5345038

Comment

Here's the suits, sportcoats, shirts, and a tie I picked up:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the...5#post_5345379

Comment

Damn.. How much did you pay for the Loro Piana?

Comment

$7 I think? Gotta love thrift stores.

Comment

I need to get into it at some point I suppose. Alas, Boston's not the best place to be thrifting. Not many stores around and hardly a precedent for good dressing in the city for things to find their way into a thrift store.

Comment

Boston is supposed to be a great place for thrifting, especially the surrounding areas.

Comment

Ok, JC, I think you have convinced me with all your finds/trading to try a thrifting adventure of my own. It isnt really my thing, but I figure what the hell, the worst case scenario is I lose an afternoon. Anything special I should keep in mind? or do I just hit up some goodwills and local thrift shops and hope I find something useful?

Should I target higher income areas? Do you know if goodwill gets its stuff locally or if its shipped out from a central location?

I am quite skeptical, and I have never even stepped foot into a thrift shop before, but you have got me curious, and I feel I at least need to give it a shot.

Comment

It depends on the local Goodwill policies whether they have a central distribution or each store handles their own. It'll probably take you several visits and some luck to figure out which ones will have better stuff. Look for groupings of stores to make your trips more efficient. Generally thrifts in richer areas will have somewhat better stuff, but not always, and they also usually have higher prices. You'll just have to get out there and see what's there.

Comment

Went to a GW I always drive by but never stop at today. It's a lot nicer than the one near by, which was great. Had some J&Ms, a beaten up pair of Florsheim Imperials, an old pair of Sears longwings in really nice condition, but nothing in my size. The only two jackets I found that were Dappered-worthy were a Vestimenta navy and a Samuelsohn chalk-stripe. Both were just too big and strong (they seemed like big-ish 40Rs, and I have a 39" chest) from the shoulders, fit decent in the chest. Lining was alright in both. Left them... I don't know if I'll be going back because the majority of the suits were old old HSM, Jos A Banks, and a few regional places (Culwell and Sons, etc.). I was finding better names (albeit in worse shape) at my local Goodwill.

I did spot a woolrich and a Zegna Sport shirt and a 100% cashmere jacket by a designer I didn't recognize (it actually didn't feel very nice). Alas, no luck. One of these days I'll report on a find instead of busts.

Comment

Yep! Saw three pairs of decent shape Allen Edmonds at a thrift store in a poor area just a few weeks ago. They were all too big so I didn't buy them. I don't do the ebay selling thing for space reasons.

A lot of local thrift shops are for charity and are operated by local churches, so they will be getting stuff from the people in the congregation. The church operating the store might not be anywhere close to the store, and might be located in an upscale area.

Speaking of Allen Edmonds, I got my first pair today. Black, split-toe, rubber soles. Can't find the exact model online, but here they are:

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s407/Big_Scooter/Clothes%20I%20have%20gotten%20from%20thrift%20stor es/?action=view&current=IMG_4295.jpg

They need a polish, but are in good shape.

Comment

New scarf, too. Got it last week and forgot to post it. Pendleton, 100% wool. blackwatch + red checks.

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_4299.jpg

Comment

@JC .. any idea on what those surrounding areas might be? I've tried swinging by a few within the city limits but not having a car makes it tough to branch out and explore

Comment

Working...
                                X