Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@forbritisheyesonly It depends on what the coat looks like... The one @jonATL has is pretty busy, so he's right that he needs everything else to be plain. Are you more worried about the cut being boxy? Just worried about wearing any blazer or sportcoat? I think you need to decide what your personal style is then you'll know whether blazers and sportcoats fit that style.

A lot of us here have been experimenting with our style and starting to focus in on what works for us. The advantage of doing this with thrifting is that it costs you like 1% of what it would to experiment with new stuff.

Comment

OK, JC. Now you're just exaggerating. MOST items are 2 or 3%. ;-)

Comment

The shells I picked up recently -- well, actually both pairs of loafers -- were priced at less than 1%.

Comment

I'm taking bets on how long you think this watch will last me. I'm not even sure what kind of a knock off it is, but I got it for $10. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260971366491

Comment

@jon: That's the beauty of thrifting. A $100 sportcoat might be reduced to $10, but then so is the $1000 sportcoat. You just have to spot the good ones.

Comment

@Alan: My good will sucks, giant testes. I cannot find anything truly worth keeping. There are two GW's within 12 minutes of my house and a S. Army on the way home, but I only frequent the GW by my house because the drive takes less than 5 mins.

@JC: I want to wear plainer sport coats(holding off on blazers because I don't have any appropriate trousers). Solid colors or subtle patterns. Most of the HF ones I've seen here(mainly yours, cause you strike gold) are brown-colored ones.

Comment

You can easily wear a blazer with jeans, chinos of all colors, etc.

Comment

Nah, I've got lots.. Brown ones just work well for me. I've got a camel one and a khaki one that are nice but the yellow doesn't work for me. I've also got 3 navy blazers now... and another I'm getting rid of.

Comment

Are the navy ones listed on your eBay acct? I'm interested in purchasing one of them.

Comment

Nah, haven't put it up there yet... See this thread:

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/jasons-deal-thread-before-it-goes-on-ebay

3 blazers for $60 if you're interested

Comment

I was checking your eBay page regularly for a while. Let me know about the fit of the slimmest one when you have the chance, JC.

Comment

How often do you guys frequent the thrift stores? At least once a week? How often do they get new inventory anyways?

Comment

@Acoustic: I go about once a week. I've noticed that the places I visit don't keep a new inventory schedule. They seem to just put stuff out as they get it.

Comment

For anyone that recalls the Armani/Brioni guy I found on craigslist, I'm headed over to his place in 15 minutes to check out what he's got.

Everything he's got is 40R, and I think his base price is like $120 or so per item. I'll keep my eyes open for anything that isn't fugly, and try to get pics if anyone is at all interested. Most of what he has is sportcoats, though. It sounds like he only has a couple of suits (which is what I'm looking for).

Comment

@Alan - you are 40R? What is your chest size?

Comment

Working...
                                X