Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time board lurker and Dappered reader. Made my first foray into thrifting today. I wanted to at least walk out with something. Picked up this Blue check shirt by Ralph Lauren and a silk navy dotted tie (Pierre Cardin).

Shirt was $8 and tie $2.50

Comment

Solid picks, fussy. I like the tie.

I found a Canali patterned shirt today. Its pretty sweet and in fantastic condition, but it's an XL. Ill post pics if any XL's in here are interested.

Comment

I like the community concept. Will continue to read and keep in mind what others are on the look out for.

May even drag my daughter out into the rain with me tonight and stop at the thrift store on the other side of town, while we're on our every other week Trader Joe's run. Yep. Can definitely see this getting addictive.

Comment

Jon, what's the sleeve length on the Sport Coat? LOVE the tie. I also like ones that have smaller dots with denser patterns.

Comment

@zerostyle I'm in DC as well and I haven't had much thrifting luck either. I'm a 36R 29x29 and most thrift stores have nothing in my size at all. I did find some shoes at Goodwill once but that's it. The thrift stores around here are almost 100% oversized polyester crap from the 80's.

Maybe I need to find more stores but I'm not sure I have the patience for thrifting. lol

Comment

@Aedan, that sounds like most thrift stores in regards to 36R's. They're just not common.

Comment

I went to Savers today to drop off a bag of donations and see about getting those Harris tweed jackets. Unfortunately they were all gone (obviously I'm not the only one watching this store for re-sellable items). But that herringbone suit was still there, calling to me. Since I got a 30% coupon with my donation, I broke down and bought it. I also got a NWT red gingham J.Crew shirt, a crew-neck merino sweater from Banana Republic, and a pair of blue Onitsuka Tigers with red stripes.

Ben

Comment

A post in another thread made my realize I haven't posted some of my finds in here in a while. I took 3 thrifted jackets to the cleaners today:

1.) Brooks Brothers 346 brown herringbone unlined sport coat

2.) Haggar Imperial light grey tweed sport coat w/ brown elbow patches

3.) Claiborne cotton/linen blend sand-colored sportcoat

Comment

forbritish, if you're looking for 16x36 shirts, there's no way that 42 S will be long enough.

Comment

left behind a harris tweed that was small enough I knew there was no shot. Never figured on buying for resale, have my thoughts on that and just figured it was better I leave it - but now I regret it a little.

Still new to this and this was the first actual harris tweed I've found. I thought I had gotten away with one for a minute.

Comment

Pretty good haul today, from only two stores:

Cashmere v-neck sweater, maroon, no brand tag

levi strauss trucker jacket. Similar to this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levi-Strauss-Co-Mens-Denim-Jean-Truckers-Jacket-Size-Large-Dark-Wash-/230755204712?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item35ba1 4fe68

pendleton wool work work shirt, blackwatch colors (pattern is a bit different though)

old navy gray corduroy sportcoat (sport coats never fit me at thrift stores, I jump on about any that do)

And the weird one: A blue suede sport coat. Custom made for someone named Jim. Anyone have ideas about how to wear a blue suede sport coat?

total: $17

Comment

What does the Levi's tag look like on the left breast? Does it have a lowercase "e" or a big "E"?

Comment

lowercase "e"

What is the difference between them?

edit: never mind, googled it

Comment

Question: I see many HF sport coats and blazers - How do I wear one? They look nice, but I've always been uncertain about the patterns and colors. What do I wear with them? I'm 21 and am afraid(just a smidgen) that I'll look too old wearing HF.

Comment

Hmmm, well I'm going to rock the hell out of this at a work conference.

</

I'm thinking light gray trousers, and I couldn't imagine anything other than a white shirt. Probably no tie.

Comment

Working...
                                X