X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put the pics up in my deal thread in the swap and shop

Comment

I picked this guy up today, well, because it was speaking too me. I don't know what it was saying. I guess I hoped somebody who wears a 54 EU would want to make some sort of a statement.

I'd package this Zegna, which was made in Switzerland and is 50% silk/50% wool, with the one from my post above, which was made in Italy.

Comment

I'd rock it if it was a 52EU. Cool jacket.

Comment

If any of y'all find a Tyrwhitt shirts in 16x36, PLEASE let me know.

Comment

Just Tyrwhitt, or Brooks Brothers too? I need to catalog my shirts... I have big bags of them

Comment

I saw a bunch of Harris tweed jackets at the store today, but didn't pick any of them up. I might go back and get some of them to sell on eBay. I also found a suit that fit me pretty well... the jacket was just a hair big in the waist, and the pants were (surprisingly) fairly loose. The pant rise was pretty ridiculous but the suit was in good shape. I ended up letting it go because it was a casual brown herringbone like this http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/fi...erringbone.jpg, and frankly, I'm not sure when I would ever wear it (especially now that I have the L.L. Bean flannel suit, which pretty well fills the dedicated winter suit niche).

Plus it was $30, which I feel is fairly steep for a thrift suit. Add on another $20 for dry-cleaning and $40-50 to have the pants taken in and the jacket waist suppressed, and suddenly it's not such a great bargain anymore.

Even though I didn't come home with anything today, I'm feeling good that I'm at least becoming a little more discerning in my thrifting habits. I've got a few things hanging in my closet that I impulse purchased out of sheer desperation, because they "sort of" fit or "mostly" worked.

Ben

Comment

I went and picked up a pair of 346 medium brown flannel trousers in my size... if they fit I might keep it otherwise I'll flip them.

Also picked up a Hartmann Luggage leather hardside briefcase for $5

Comment

Any must-irons are fine, JC. Want to try CT, though.

Comment

Hey Guys, new member here. Been lurking and educating myself the last couple months since deciding to update my wardrobe. Thought I would go check out my local thrift store to see what I could come away with.

Just had to come back and register as a member so I could post about my findings.

Saw the shoe rack right off the bat and immediately jumping out at me were a pair of Allen Edmonds Chester model in black staring right at me. Looked almost brand new. Leather was in perfect shape and just minor wear on the soles. Size 10D, fit like a glove.

Next I was browsing the suit section. Was running my hand along the fabric of each coat when I felt my next find. Charcoal pinstripe Hickey Freeman Madison suit coat with matching pants. Looked as though it was dry cleaned and placed on the rack. Coat size 40R fit beautifully. Tried on the pants. Waist was perfect but would need a hem.

Next to that was a Harris Tweed waistcoat (had been checking these out for awhile but couldn't justify the price new). Topped things off with a pair of grey khaki shorts and a polo shirt, both from J Crew. Fit and condition again excellent.

Happened to show up on 50% off day:

Shoes: 9.00 -> 4.50

Suit: 25 -> 12.50

Vest: 4 -> 2

Shorts: 4 -> 2

Polo: 4 -> 2

Total= $23

Is it normal to be this pumped about finding used clothes? I suppose I can't expect this degree of success on my subsequent trips

Thanks for all the great information out there guys. I've learned a great deal.

Brian

Comment

Nice finds!

If you're seriously going to start thrifting -- which, by all means, you should (unless, of course, you live in Atlanta!!!) -- you should seriously consider surfing over to Styleforum and simply reading through the thrift bragging thread. That will really help you identify the choice items in thrift stores and help you start to get an idea of what items people want (if you ever find anythng to trade/sell).

Pumped about finding clothes? I've been seeing thrifting as a treasure hunt -- or maybe baseball card collecting or something like that -- where a huge part of the thrill is in the search (but there's also the thrill of the payoff too, when you find a choice suit that fits perfectly). It's also just as rewarding to pick up a nice pair of pants for $2 and pass them on to someone who really, really wants them.

Finally, if you're going to start thrifting often, post your sizes and needs. There's a big community out there, and if you don't piss anyone off, you're likely to get a message one day about a sweet garment in your size for a reasonable price.

Comment

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the tips.

Brian

Comment

What jon said... Those are amazing finds. I'm betting that you are now officially addicted and the memory of this find will carry you through all the lean times when you either don't find anything or find good things then notice the moth holes.

On the topic of it being a community... This morning I got a PM on styleforum about a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece silk blend sportcoat in my size from someone a size smaller than me... It was on eBay for $25 with free shipping and he wanted to find it a good home. My home will be that home.

Comment

Beginners luck. ;-)

Yeah, I've NEVER had that kind of success, but Jon and JC both do well so I'm sure it's just me. :-( My first time in a thrift store netted me an Aquascutum raincoat. I've been hooked since then.

@JC: Speaking of moth holes, I found a SWEET Ralph Lauren sport coat today that was made from 100% bamboo fiber in my size... and then I noticed how much moths love bamboo.

Comment

I've had 0 luck thrifting in the DC area. Part of it for me is that it's damn near impossible to find anything in my size (38R/S).

Comment

Who wears a 42 S here and needs the best staple blazer thrift money can buy?

The buttons on this thing are siiiiiick.

Comment

Working...
                                X