Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found an armani callezoni suit jacket in my size today I paid ten bucks for it and its in perfect shape but the sleeves are an inch too short can they be extended and would it be worth the money to have tailored so in the waist area?

Comment

Michael, probably can be extended. Also, invest in some punctuation

Comment

Yeah I probably shouldI just wrote it on my phone and I can't figure out how to punctuate while I'm using Swype

Comment

A rough sketch (or possibly rant) about my trials looking for thrift blazers, for the guy who asked about finding a 36s:

I fit best in 38s-40s at 155lbs 5ft7 with a muscular/atheltic build. About 1 out of 10 blazers/sport coats I see in thrift stores is roughly the correct shoulder/chest size. 1 out of 20 will be too small for me in the shoulders/chest.

Of those that fit me in the shoulders/chest, 7/10 will be over an inch longer than ideal, 3/10 will be made of crap, 3/10 will be too old looking (gigantic lapels, carpet-like material, football player shoulders, etc), 1/10 will have too short of sleeves (unfortunately these are often the ones that fit me otherwise, since the only people willing to wear small jackets are 5ft 5" and under), and 1/50 will be damaged too much to be worth the cost of alterations.

I have found 1 blazer that I consider to be close to perfect in around 50 trips to thrift stores and 2 sport coats that fit almost perfect but are slightly too long (roughly an inch).

This is in the midwest, where people are fat. Those few who are skinny seem afraid of taking up too little room, so they wear the fat people's clothes, which swish around them as they move. Short men fare no better. If I didn't enjoy thrifting, I would not find it useful to look for sport coats for my size or below. I have had better luck with shoes, shirts, sweaters, accessories, and outerwear.

I could easily thrift an entire fashionable wardrobe (with the help of my alterations lady), save for suits, sport coats, dress pants, jeans, and chinos. The last two have changed styles too noticeably. True dress pants are engulfed by orphaned suit pants (pleated chinos are dress pants here). Thrifting a suit that fits has all the same problems as a sport-coat, with the added problem of baggy, pleated pants.

That said, I can't wait to go again!

Comment

@Big_Scooter Consider your dilemma to be partially a blessing as well. I just recapped on my thrift pick ups internally, and my dry cleaning bill isn't going to be pretty. I generally only look for suits and sport coats as I have plenty of jeans, etc so everything I pick up has to go through the cleaners before getting into my closet.

Tagged sizes can be so deceiving. I generally wear 42L, but especially when considering the age, cut, fit, and so on found in thrift stores, I can be anywhere from a 40-44. Basically, if the sleeves are long enough, I'll try it on. There are definitely the same kinds of rejects as you laid out, but the ratios are different.

Disclaimer: Sales pitch

I still have what I want to say is a 38S Zegna houndstooth SC I posted a few pages back. Keep an eye out for the tread if anyone is interested.

Comment

Found a pair of these guys today for a buck: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=it em5ae4fd25b0&item=390388852144&nma=true&pt=LH_Defa ultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=bwisHNx4aVN0eu3oaSQ7rVHfcjo%2 53D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

If anyone needs shoe trees, looks like the place to be is ebay.

Comment

Today's finds:

Wool/Cashmere Zegna SC, 44 R

PRL USA-made navy blazer. No content tag, but it's probably all wool. Tailored to a 38 S, I think, so I'm keeping it:

Comment

I managed to make it to the place @jonAtl suggested... Picked up a pair of Brooks Brothers suede oxfords size 11.5 that need some TLC but should be okay. Blue Zegna dress shirt, size 38r, and brooks brothers tie, yellow with pink and blue little paisleys.

Also hit up Nordstrom, neiman Marcus, Nordstrom rack, and last call.. No shoes I wanted... Last call had some amazing stuff at like 25-50% of retail, but that was still out of my price range. I'm gonna be dreaming about this one purple paisley Isaia that fit perfectly and was the softest thing I've ever touched... But it was still $1000 even though it started at $4k. Picked up a Neiman Marcus slim fit white dress shirt, Ben Sherman union jack cuff links, and a gorgeous red, white, and blue Robert Talbott Best of Class paisley tie at Nordstom Rack.

Comment

JC, was it like Disney Land? :-)

Comment

No, it was frustrating because I wanted to take it home... And it's neighbor, a red and blue gingham cotton unstructured sport coat from Caruso

Comment

Found some nice things today if anyone's interested:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the...0#post_5226456

Comment

Found a few things today:

Gieves and Hawkes Savile Row jacket. Too bad its a 46L.

Burberrys Camel Hair Sports coat. no marked size but it fits me a little snug. Maybe a 39. I'm not sure about it for me. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Polo Ralph Lauren Reindeer Sweater

Pendleton Sweater

NWT Vineyard Vines Tie

Comment

Is that Burberrys a regular or a short?

Comment

It felt like a regular

Comment

Too long, most likely.

Here's a full-body shot of the sweet Aquascutum raincoat. 40 R

Comment

Working...
                                X