X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Jason - You rule. That is all.

Comment

$5 grab bag this weekend, its soooo on, like a kid in a candy store...Im going to be posting as well so if anyone is online around that time let me know if there is something of interest to you.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

@Max - what's a $5 grab bag? Is that literally a garbage bag full of clothes? I know some thrift stores sell clothes by weight to people that need them for various uses like heavy bag filler or rags...

Comment

@ Glen, yep, basically i pay 5 bucks and get a bag, and i can fill it up with whatever it is that i find as long as the bag isnt overflowing. I think with proper folding and knowing what to put in it with proper layering, i can come out with an awesome haul so long as there are actually clothes worth getting...its a risk as well considering i am giving up money before i actually see whats in the store, but that will be alleviated by my profiling the store the day before and possibly hiding (i know shame on me) what i want.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

Unfortunately we wear the same size shoes

But if you find any nice shirts or coats that are a size too big for you think of me

Comment

@Glen How do we want to do the swap?

Comment

So I went Thrifting today! I found a couple new places and decided to try them out. I had pretty good luck today! although I still did find any place that carries an abundant amount of mens shoes. I picked up a Patrick James Wool Tweed Sportscoat! Also go a couple ties, couple pocket squares, and an umbrella.

I have attached pictures of everything. Also I have attached a picture of me wearing the coat, 1 PS, and 1 of the ties. I would like some thoughts on what to wear with this coat. I don't know what color shirt would look great underneath it (I just put a white shirt for time being. When you work with tweed, do you try and stay pretty neutral in other pieces? or can you mix alot of stripes, plaids, and gingham?

Pictures #1 - 6.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1048294...39450723091842

Comment

Hmm, that link's not working for me, Tat.

Ben

Comment

@ BenR, my apologies, I created a new Thrifting album, and forgot to unlock the properties of the album for public viewing.

Try again !!

If that link still doesnt work try this one

https://picasaweb.google.com/1048294...COCG9fv7x_SaHQ

Comment

Cool, thanks. Wow, those are some great picks! Very classic. That's a pretty bold tweed jacket so if I were you I would keep the rest of the outfit fairly understated, as you've done in the picture.

I went thrifting today for the first time in this town. I always assumed the thrifting would be crap because it's a mountain town/college town, so all I would find would be crappy old broken-down Birkenstocks or something. But the selection was surprisingly ok. I'm super stoked to have found a navy blazer that fits me almost perfectly for $4. My only complaint is that whoever had it made (it's a Hong Kong custom-tailored piece) also had every single button on the thing monogrammed with his initials. I'll just have to hope people don't look too closely at them. ;-) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/thriftblazer.jpg

There wasn't too much else of interest, just an Express shirt and a few pairs of GAP/Old Navy pants I considered buying but didn't. They had a couple ties that were cool patterns but had some stains. There were maybe 3 total pairs of men's shoes at all, so that was a bit of a wash as well.

Ben

Comment

@Tat - Damn good finds! I really like all of them.

@Ben - Nice blazer. If you can find another jacket with buttons that you like, it's worth it to buy it just for the buttons and have a tailor replace them for cheap. New buttons will cost more than thrifted jackets.

@Jason - I wish there was a way to PM on this forum. I'll message you via FB.

Comment

With that tweed I personally would probably go plain shirt (though some colors could work) and work my pattern in with the tie.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Ty Glen, Im just trying to figure out how and what I can wear with that tweed Sportsjacket. Casual with jeans or chinos, and also I need to figure out a formal way to wear it, so I may include it in my work attire. (work attire requires trousers, not chinos and dress shoes)

Comment

@Tat - any shade of gray, navy, and darker brown would work. Tweed is surprisingly versatile. Keep the shirts fairly low-key if you're unsure what to wear under the jacket. The hardest thing for me would be working in a work-appropriate tie.

Comment

@ Tat: Also a side discussion on tweed further down the page, not sure if you've seen it:

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/ho...heck-do-i-wear

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X