Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon, that's like saying a broken leg is nice... compared to a missing leg. :-)

Looking at the Delta uniform from another angle... If it's intact, $30 for a complete Halloween costume that's not held together by a single thread isn't too shabby.

Comment

Also, the second pic you trench coat pic you posted has me all turned around. I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Comment

@ Alan - The Salvation Army near me seems to be the guiltiest of "designer" pricing. They will put arbitrarily higher prices on the items that they arbitrarily decide qualify as "designer." Their idea of "designer" seems to mean any well-known brand that you can find at a mid-level department store - like the mediocre Calvin Klein suit that they had marked for $45 (made in China, of course).

I prefer an equal opportunity thrift store like my Savers or GoodWill - they just toss everything in together and let the shoppers separate the wheat from the chaff. I guess you could call it thrift store democracy... or maybe just Darwinism. B-)

Ben

Comment

Salvation Army also had an unlined Orvis jacket for $20. It was too small for me, but even still...Come on!

Comment

Agree with the Salvation Army boycott haha I thought I was the only one. Everything at SA is arbitrarily priced whereas at my local GW, the prices are posted on a big board behind the register. There are certain deviations, but it gives a good ballpark.

There is another GW near me that I have been meaning to check out, but I hear it is more boutique-y. Not sure if that will translate to much higher prices or just a small charge for the convenience of not having to sort through polyester suits from the 80s. Feel like it will be a lot more crowded than my local one too which is a bit of a turnoff. Not sure how others feel, but I much prefer having an empty store to thrift in so I can take my time/ not have to wait for fitting rooms.

Unrelated: The last time I was at GW, I came across a medium grey suit that I've been looking for. I was very excited and while the exterior looked about 90%, the linings were yellowing and gross. Will dry cleaning help this at all? I walked on it because I feel like there are other grey suits in the sea, but if a good cleaning will take care of it, I'd be happy to end my search there.

Comment

@Don: I'm skeptical that a cleaning could fix that, but I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure.

Comment

I'm starting to get really frustrated with this one Goodwill around the corner from my office; I've been 2-3 times a week over the last 3 weeks and I haven't noticed any new sportscoats on the racks, and the dress shirts section has empty gaps throughout the rack where once it was packed full. And this is in a ritzy area, one of the best zipcodes in Atlanta. I don't know if they're just really slow at putting out stuff or what, but there's no way they're out of clothes in the back. The shoe rack is just about depleted as well.

Of course the women's section (80% of the store) is booming.

Comment

FWIW, my local Goodwills all seem to share inventory. The one near my house has very few shoes. The one downtown has zero suits or sport coats. So that's how it seems to me, but I can't prove.

Comment

Speaking of Atlanta... I'm gonna be down visiting my parents next week and I'm planning to take an excursion to Atlanta for some shopping... Unfortunately my GF wants to go to REAL stores... Ugh, why? But she did agree to go to ONE thrift store. If y'all from the Atlanta area could only go to ONE thrift store in the metro area, which would it be?

Comment

STAY FAR AWAY! JC. Atlanta thrifts. Just what I need

As for the location of GWs, it doesn't matter where they are. I found a canali overcoat on Buford Highway if that means anything to anyone. Sting, we're talking Buckhead GW, right? I've had moderate success there.

Comment

Jon- I think I saw that very same overcoat; it had a small tear on the back near the neck, right? Lol, that store was frustrating. damaged canali overcoat, orphaned samuelsohn jacket and a corneliani that wouldn't fit paul bunyan.

And yes, I was referring to the buckhead goodwill in my earlier post. I had some moderate success initially, but nothing to brag about (Brooks Brothers ties, GANT dress shirt, Express shirt that fit like a glove, Calvin Klein made in canada suit that fit...nothing major), but it's tapped out now, or something.

Comment

Sting:

Yup, one in the same. It was tagged at $45 or something, I showed them the damage, and they gave it to me for $8. It should cost $25-$50 to reweave, which I may or may not do before I sell it on ebay.

Here's the exact same one without the belt (which I have): http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANALI-LONG-Wool-Overcoat-Top-Coat-40R-Italy-50-moesser-size-40-REG-/120856567408?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item1c239 cde70

So I figure it might sell, even with the damage (if I explain it and give a quote to fix it) if I start the bidding at $50.

This is the only kind of similar completed listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANALI-MILAN...item56480fd1e9

Comment

@Don You can get the suit relined too.

Comment

I asked about how much it would cost to re-line a coat at my tailor... $125 for a sportcoat. Not worth it.

On a not unrelated note, if anyone wants a black double breasted Burberry overcoat with a very nice warm soft wool outer in good condition and ripped up lining for just the price of shipping, let me know. Otherwise it's going to the thrift store. Unsuccessful experiment... Good thing I got an amazing Oxxford navy overcoat that just needed some seams re-done in the lining

Comment

@JC haha I'm planning an experiment myself on a sport coat soon. What size is your coat? I've been looking to get into double-breasted whatever on the cheap. I'm not sure how I feel about them still minus on a peacoat, but like the variety if I'm not paying full retail. I picked up a double breasted suit jacket (all black, not hard to match with black slacks) but don't like the way it falls/ how monster lapels will engulf even the fullest of windsors.

Comment

Working...
                                X