Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember what you quoted me, but I'm hesitant to post it here without your go-ahead.

Comment

OK. well, if it turns out you want it, we'll proceed from that number accordingly.

Comment

Thanks. I'll find something in a comparable material at the local BB store to see if this thing will "suit" my needs. (Yeah, I totally went there.)

Comment

Ended my month or so long thrifting hiatus today. Came away with at least one good thing...

A navy blue pea coat that fits me! European size 46 (American 36??). The brand is Pietrovanni Roma, made in Italy. Google doesn't give me much on that, but ebay has their blazers going pretty cheap, so I don't think it's some kind of gem. Still, I have been looking for a navy coat like this for a while. Glad I didn't break down and buy one at retail. I don't love the hard shoulders and probably need a little help with the fit (photo coming if I can get my crappy phone to work).

Also got:

--An orphaned grey DB blazer/suit jacket. Not sure how/where I would wear this, but I couldn't leave it for $2.50.

--A worn out Levi's denim shirt (gotta get in on this workwear trend!)

--Funky Kenneth Cole shirt

Comment

Ok here it is. Sorry for the terrible quality.

Shoulders too big? Is it ok through the waist and thighs? Thanks.

Comment

I'm pretty jealous of that peacoat. I've had little luck with outerwear in thrift shops - nothing good in my size.

No luck at the thrift stores today except for a cute little vintage Seiko with a TV-style dial (I think that's what it's called, anyway). I just popped off the caseback to figure out what battery I need to buy. It could probably use a new gasket too but I have no idea where I would get one, other than online.

Ben

Comment

@jose: If all else fails, you can do what I do with one of my coats that's a little too large. I save is exclusively for when I'm wearing a suit or sportcoat. The large shoulders really come in handy for such situations. In fact, you can check it in today's post on the WIWT thread. Without a jacket, it would be too large. With a jacket, it's just the right size.

Comment

The one caveat is too make sure the shoulders don't just get even further out of hand. I have very little padding in mine so that helps..

Comment

@Alan: Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I mean I'm still gonna wear it with more casual clothes too, but it's not so tight that I couldn't have several layers underneath (although, tbh I don't know when I'd need that much warmth in this climate).

@BenR: This was actually one of the few pea coats I've seen at my stores. Really just not in a place where you have to have a giant coat. And then people here are obsessed with fake expedition type coats like North Face. I lucked out here, I think.

Also noticed way less people thrifting for half-off Monday. One of the reasons I gave it a break was because it was becoming so crowded. Guess people were out of school and needed to spend Christmas cash.

Comment

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Found this super sexy red wool tie from Austin Reed. Perfect width and everything. My mouth was watering. Then I discovered a small but obvious hole on the front of the tie. -___-

Comment

I'm officially boycotting my local salvation army. $30 for used Cole Haan sneakers? $45 for a no-name wool overcoat? Forget that...

Comment

Found this awesome Faconnable (Loro Piana Storm System) wool parka today. It has little wear around the cuffs and under the front pocket flaps but other than that it is in great condition. I would get the sleeves shortened a little bit so the wear around the sleeve bottoms doesn't bother me. However, it might be a little too big! My heart says yes but my body says no!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7660603...n/photostream/

Comment

I just picked up my first thrifted shirt. It's an Ermenegildo Zegna blue button collar pinpoint that actually fits me. Cost me $4. I'm a little hesitant to try to flip shirts. There was a Faconnable in fine condition that would have only cost me $2, but it didn't fit me so I left it on the rack. Both were at Goodwill.

Comment

AHHH. I do need a belt:

AND whatever the hell is supposed to go here on the back of the neck:

Maybe it's not worth it.

Comment

$30 for Cole Haans is nice ... compared to the $30 the Value Village by me wanted for a Delta Connections suit. Yeah, a steward's uniform.

Comment

Working...
                                X