Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get free boxes delivered to your house from usps.com for priority mail.

Comment

@ JC - This is something I've wondered. I know I can get free boxes delivered, or just pick them up, but in my experience they are the flat rate boxes, and shipping at the flat rate is actually more expensive than doing it metered, since our kind of stuff usually only weighs a few pounds at most. Can you ship metered with a flat rate box?

Ben

Comment

@JonATL: Sorry, but my Aquascutum coat is a more traditional raincoat - not a trench. It's got a single row of buttons and no belt. Looks like this:

http://www.aquascutum.co.uk/index.cf...&viewall=false

Comment

@BenR: You could order some free flat rate boxes from the post office and then just wrap them in kraft paper. If you're not familiar, kraft paper is like the material they make brown paper bags out of. It's available by the roll at virtually all craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

Boxes:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...bcatMSS_B_Free

Comment

@ Jon - Just for you - whipped the belt off my Burberry trench.

It's pretty basic with 4 brass d-rings hanging from the bottom and a rectangular, leather-covered buckle. The buckle holes aren't riveted but are just stitched to keep them from fraying.

This is the exact same style of belt I've seen on all the London Fogs and other assorted trench coats in the thrift stores. Presumably it's about the same as on an Aquascutum. I would almost think you could just have a tailor make one for you if they could find a similar-colored material. The d-rings are largely aesthetic so you wouldn't even necessarily need those, just some kind of buckle.

Ben

Comment

Another option would be to just keep your eyes peeled at thrift stores. There's a whole rack of mostly London Fog trenches at my local Savers, most of them with belts intact, I think about $20 for most. It may be worth it to just buy a whole trench for the belt, depending on if you can find one for a reasonable price.

Ben

Comment

Ben:

Wrap up the flat-rate boxes, write the address on the outside. I did that for a shipment to Japan when I needed a large flat-rate sized box, but didn't want to pay $4 million or whatever they were going to charge. The buyer didn't complain about the odd packaging.

Oh, and guys, I am a moron. No belt required:

Comment

And while we're on the topic of my trench/raincoat/whatever it is, have you guys ever had anything like this repaired?

The other cuff is a little worn, but I can live with it.

Comment

As for flipping things on ebay, I'm not ever looking to rip anybody off, but I can't help a bidding war, now can I?

Now to open my books a bit (if you don't keep track of your thrifting in some form, start now; that's the only way I know I haven't actually lost money from buying all these clothes):

For instance, I started my C&J boots at $65, which would have roughly been $58 profit before $8 in ebay fees and $6 from paypal, so it would have been a little bit more than what I try to keep as my bottom line, but they ended up selling for $112.50 after shipping, which netted me $91.50.

The Shells went for a total, with shipping, of $91. It'll cost me $15 to ship them, ebay will take out $11, paypal will take out $4, so my total profit is about $54. Which was a bit of a let down.

On the flip side, I have a lot of things that won't sell, and a few items that sold for a $10-$20 profit (and the $30 line is usually only for sweet shoes, jackets or suits and SCs; not bowties or anything like that).

I'm not getting rich, but this is paying for the thrifted stuff I keep and will eventually allow me to buy some new things.

If you're interested in thrifting as a business, see the guys at Style Forum.

And FYI, if you want any of my thrifted stuff, you guys get little to no markup ... unless it's something really sweeeeet, and it would be a completely insane deal for you if you bought it with a little bit thrown my way.

Comment

Appreciated, Jon. I need to learn not to bite on every item of yours that fits me if its not in the budget. You come up with a lot of good stuff. But I think a new suit might be in the cards for next month...

Comment

@BenR you can order priority boxes that are not flat rate from the usps.com site as well. You can also pick up non-flat rate boxes at the post office as well as priority mail envelopes in either cardboard or tyvek.

On the accounting side, I just have all of my accounts (paypal included) hooked up with mint.com and I put all of the expenses and income into the "clothing" category. Gives me an overview of the plusses and minuses.

@Alan, if you need a 40-41R suit I've got a couple up on eBay

Comment

LOL Thanks for feeding my addiction, JC. My budget for the month was blown on wingtips. Ill have more once March rolls around. Now that someone else besides me is affected by my spending habits, I'm more cautious about breaking the rules.

Comment

Well, Alan if you really do like that Brooks Brothers suit, I won't put it on ebay. Next month, you can just tell me what you want to pay, and I'll add $100.

No, seriously, we'll work something out that will be a crazy deal for you. This is a much better option for me than getting screwed by ebay fees.

It is worsted wool, though, so it's a bit heavier. You're in Texas, right?

Comment

That would be so fantastic if you would do that for me. You have no idea how much I apperciate it that you're even willing to do this at all.

As for the weight, eeeehhh... Yeah, I'm in Texas, and I'd prefer something that will last me into summer. How heavy is "a bit heavier"? I may still be willing to make an exception for such an affordable suit.

And could you remind me if those pants are pleated or not?

Comment

Pleated pants:

Go into a brooks brothers and feel/try on a 100 percent worsted wool suit. Here's the tag:

What did I tell you on price?

Comment

Working...
                                X