Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@jonATL. I have an Armani Super 150's that is a staple pinstripe. The HF I have has a houndstooth pattern. Both are very nice and recent, but they are 40R. I'm guessing that they wouldn't work for you if you need a 40S

Comment

@Fedodo:

can you also send me measurements and pics of those two suits via email? Does "staple" mean what I think it means(integral)? Is the pattern on the houndstooth very fine? Much appreciated.

Comment

Alan:

Since I know you picked up an Aquascutum trench a bit ago: Did it have a belt? Can you snap a pic of it?

I don't know what I'm going to do for a replacement (I guess I could just take one from a random trench), and I don't think "spare Aquascutum belt" will get me anywhere on ebay.

Comment

@JC

Off the top of my head I think those measurements work. I am a little turned off by the 3 buttons. It's not really my style and I don't own any 3-button jackets that don't roll (assuming this one doesn't). Would need to see a picture I guess. What are you asking for it shipped?

Comment

It does roll... it's actually got a really nice 3-roll-2. These pictures aren't the best, but:

Comment

Hmm. Went back and measured one of my better fitting jackets. I'm not sure about the sleeve. That seems pretty short on me. You measure from shoulder to cuff right?

Comment

Yep, from the top of the shoulder seam

Comment

Darn. Yeah that's gonna be a deal breaker for me.

Comment

No problem. CdG sells very well on eBay

Comment

$75! For Shell BB Aldens. Ebay, you are a fickle mistress.

At least I made a bit of change, but I'm learning that it's very, very hard to predict what people will be willing to pay for things.

Comment

Doh! What size were they? Was it a funky, uncommon size?

Comment

10 C! Oh well...

Alan: can you snap a pic of you Aquascutum belt? I need to figure out how to get one or one like it -- the trench I picked up yesterday -- that fits! -- was sans belt.

Comment

John: do you set reserve prices for your items?

Comment

Sting: Nope! I think setting reserves is kind of lame; I just start the bidding high enough that I won't cry if it sells with one bid -- the shoes got two bids .

The low price really isn't that big a deal -- as I'm sure you probably know what I paid for them at GW -- but I did have someone in France message me saying he'd pay no more than $100, so I should have ended the auction right then and there!

Comment

When I eBay, I do like Jon and set the starting bid at a price that I would accept selling the item at (usually my purchase price + shipping cost + $5-25, depending on the item). Usually I'll set the BIN at the price I would ideally like to get, and something I feel I'd be willing to pay if I were looking to buy the item. I've only sold a few things so far but I everything I've put up for auction has sold. Most of it has been at or around the minimum bid, but a couple have gone at the BIN price or have been bid up close to it.

I think my "success" at selling boils down to a few things - setting a reasonable but still acceptable profit margin, flipping only high-quality items in good condition, and being as honest and accurate as possible in your photos and description. As a buyer, I know I have more confidence in a seller who tells it like it is than one that tries to upsell stuff of mediocre quality or condition.

Honestly, I don't think you should expect to go into eBay flipping to make a huge profit. I'm generally satisfied if I can make $10-25 profit off a single item, and I don't find a ton of items I think are worth reselling. I've walked away from a few things in thrift stores that were probably flippable, but either too pedestrian a brand or in too poor a condition to really make the effort worthwhile.

To save yourself overhead costs, I'd definitely recommend hanging on to boxes you get and buying shipping labels through eBay or getting the labels off USPS.com. Shipping is a lot cheaper that way.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X