Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a zegna suit at goodwill. It doesn't fit me.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4026/suit2a.jp

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4538/zegnac.jpg

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6948/tagos.jpg

It's $60, but I found a 20 dollar bill inside the jacket pocket. Should I pick it up?

Comment

for $40 you should at least double your money on ebay, I would think.

Comment

Do any of you happen to thrift around Baltimore, MD? I've tried in the city (even in more affluent areas) and have found nothing. Thinking of checking the county.

Comment

@lax: Haven't any places? Or just haven't found any places worth a damn?

Comment

I went thrifting today and came back with questions. Despite living in one of the biggest cities in the US, there's not much great thrifting to be had at Goodwill so I stick to a consignment store. Most things are huge on me but I found a Zegna deep blue sportshirt (not Zegna Sport, but a sport cut - square across the bottom, strangely) for $30. The MOP buttons are a bit chipped but it fits me alright but would ideally be taken in a bit. I feel like it's a better deal than buying RL shirts from Marshalls for the same price but the square tails bother me a lot. Is it a sport shirt or just a weirdly cut dress shirt?

Also, I feel like I have more ties than I possibly wear BUT I found some awesome ties, some 6-fold ties for $30 (an italian maker I haven't heard of), and some Zegna and Armani Collezioni ties for about $20-25 NWT. Are these good deals?

Comment

These came from another thrifter on SF today... Shell AE's:

Happy Birthday to me!

Comment

That's really expensive for thrift price @LosRockets. I wouldn't buy a shirt with chipped buttons unless it was like a Kiton or Brioni... The ties are good deals if they're for you, but probably not to flip.

Comment

Hey JC, it is pricy! Their rationale is that it's a men's resale store, and not a thrift. The upside is that the pieces are in great condition and generally quite high-end, the downside is that the pieces are close to Ebay price, and not exactly thrifty finds. The Kiton, Brioni, Fray, etc. shirts are 60-100, gently used :| I think the reason the nearest Goodwill has so little is because this store exists!

I think I'll hold off on the ties as I spent a lot in January and don't really need them.

Comment

@Lax, I have yet to find anywhere with much in Baltimore. The Goodwill in Fed Hill had a couple of Gitman shirts last time I stopped in, but other than those I have never really come across anything of interest. Everyone says the "Gucci Goodwill"is worth the trip, but in 4-5 visits I haven't found anything of interest.

@JC Those shell AE's are absolutely fantastic!

Comment

It seems like the discussion a few pages back brought me some luck. I never could find a tie I'd see myself wearing like others have posted, but I guess that talk mixed with the idea of having a tie swap helped out my mojo haha. Picked up 5 ties (1 is purely novelty). I think I'm keeping them all but will post a picture later if I get a chance. The novelty tie look like a polka dot pattern from a distance, but when you get in closer you see the "dots" are actually symbols of elements found on the periodic table haha. I'm a science guy so thought it was pretty funny and I guess the person with the price gun at GW knew not to take it too serious so it was $3. Very pumped I found another tartan that I had been looking for. Picked up a more conservative tie (wider than I would usually wear) that I wasn't crazy about, but 100% silk and in good shape figured it would be good to have in the conservative line-up.

Let's start a discussion about not being able to find a well cut light to medium gray suit now! (42L) haha

Comment

@Don

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140697442547?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649#ht_749wt_1413

Comment

@JC unfortunately too dark for what I'm looking for but thanks for the heads up. Does look like a nice cut and generally like a subtle pattern. I'm looking for something more along these lines but at a super fraction of the price haha: http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Essential-Gray-Suit

Also, rather than making a new thread, I have a question about fit in the shoulders of sport coats/ suit jackets. I can tell if it is too big in the shoulders and have heard the "lean against a wall" test, but how do you know if the shoulders are too small? Thanks to learning how to measure a jacket because of the houndstooth Zegna, I measure up other SC I have. There is a general consensus when it comes to chest, waist, and sleeve length, but the shoulder measurements vary by about 2". Yet, none of the jackets look small in the shoulders, unless I don't know what small looks like.

Thanks

Comment

You check the shoulder seam and it should be right on the point of your shoulder joint at the top. There's some give and take to it with different cuts, but 2 inches is a bit much.

Suits that light aren't very common at all in thrift stores. I like 'em too, but they're kinda fashion forward and most people are just buying suits to blend in.

Comment

@Alan: I've tried a bunch of places but none of them have anything remotely worthwhile. Most of them have extremely worn out clothing and are mostly made up of homeless people looking for stuff. I may try Federal Hill as someone suggested or the county. I know that some people have success around DC.

There's a place called The Wise Penny that I had heard great things about in terms of their men's selection. I went there with high hopes and it was an extremely small selection with nothing great and boutique rather than thrift prices.

Comment

@lax: I can't speak for anyone else, but over 50% of my stuff comes from a single thrift shop in a strip mall that's 1/5 size of the Goodwill ot Salvation Army. Sometimes it takes finding just that one little place.

Comment

Working...
                                X