Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth, if I found Sanfords that fit me, I would probably keep them, and I'd be willing to bet you don't already have any other shoes in burgundy.

Comment

Yeah I think I'm going to keep them.its breast yeah I think I'm going to get them polished and keep them for myself

Comment

@Michael - nice find! Finds like that are what make me eager to go back out to thrift stores. Should you ever decide to sell them, I'd love to take them off your hands.

@Jon - Like those hush puppies! Nice find.

Comment

Well, my wife thinks they are ugly, so they are destined for ebay!

Comment

@AedanM: In regard to the wrinkles. I have seen a few posts on AskAndyAboutClothes and the StyleForum that have mentioned a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK technique that can sometimes help to remove wrinkles. I have never tried it.

If portions of the shoe vamp is very wrinkled:

Using a curling Iron (that just has the barrel with the curling part removed)

1) Insert cedar shoe trees into the shoe.

2) Spray the shoe with a liquid stretch solution (most shoe repair shops carry it)

3) Warm up the curling iron but don't touch the shoe yet. (low to medium heat setting)

4) Unplug the curling iron.

5) Place a clean, heavy brown paper or 100 percent cotton cloth, such as a towel on the shoe between the leather and the iron to protect the shoe from overheating. Gently press the iron with a light, quick hand motion on the wrinkled portion.

* Do not use steam while ironing the wrinkled leather.

* If needed, plug the iron in again if it gets too cold.

If portions of the shoe vamp is slightly wrinkled:

Use a hair dryer. Set the blow dryer at its highest setting. Hold the dryer above the wrinkled portion 8 to 10 inches away from the leather. Move it back and forth to avoid burning the leather. Smooth it with your hands when it gets soft. Do this until the wrinkles disappear.

Comment

I picked up some pretty cool, immaculate silk ties today. Two Italian and one US.

Ben

Comment

What makers, BenR?

Comment

Left - Exclusively for Smith's Bermuda, Made in Italy

Middle - Strathmore, made in US

Right - Federico Bertarelli, Italy

Ben

Comment

I've got SOOO many ties from thrifting now... I think I'm gonna do one of those giveaways like you did with the watch.

Comment

Ya, even with my terrible selection of thrifting, I seem to rack up more ties than anything else. but then again they get used 5-6 times a week.

Comment

@kmarizo: Thanks for the tip! I might give it a go in the next couple days since I have some shoe stretch spray already. If it ruins them, I'm only out about $5.

Comment

It surprises me that I've never found a single thrifted tie that I'd want to wear, and I've seen hundreds of them.

Comment

I typically don't find ties either. There are plenty but they are usually 90's-fied polyester crap.

Comment

I'm not sure how that's possible... I find lots and lots of ties.

You don't even find knit ties? No Liberty of London?

Comment

I'm in the exact same boat as Jose. In fact, I have yet to find anything at all thrifting. I persevere, however.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                                X