Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@BenR the most important measurement for sizing is the pit to pit measurement. I'm guessing you've probably got a 44-46 and I expect the pit to pit to be 24-25"

Comment

@ JC How do you measure the pit? Across the front of the jacket? Across the back? Inside? Should the jacket be buttoned, unbuttoned? I've tried taking pit measurements but it always seemed futile because it comes out differently however I do it.

Ben

Comment

@Don M Nice finds! Measure the Zegna up... If it's a 40R.... DIBS!

The HF blazer fits you really well

Comment

How to measure:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...easurement.htm

Comment

Ok... that's a very useful guide. I just completely remeasured the jacket (the RIGHT way, evidently) and it seems like it's a 42L that's had the sleeves taken up a bit... or else a 42R with a weirdly long body.

Shoulder to shoulder: 19"

Length of jacket: 32 1/2"

Pit to pit: 21"

Sleeve: 25" + 1"

Ben

Comment

A 21 pit to pit is more like a 38-39, but the shoulders are big. Usually you'll have chest size + 4 for a chest measurement on a coat. Did you measure from the bottom of the collar for the length?

A 40R is usually something like this:

Shoulders: 18.5"

Pit to Pit: 21.5 to 22"

Back (measured from the bottom of the collar): 30"

Sleeve from the top of the shoulder seam to the end: 24-25"

Comment

Hey Don,

Please do measure it. If it is indeed 36/38, I am very interested, I love the pattern too!

email me at mystix at gmail.com

Comment

@ JC, Yup, I double and triple-checked the length measurement because it seems so long relative to everything else. It's definitely 32.5" from the bottom of the collar, perhaps even a hair longer than that.

I know for sure it's not a 38... I tried it on and it swamps me. I'm a 36-37 so usually a 38 is just slightly too large. So it's got to be at least a 40.

The overall shape of the jacket seems pretty trim and not at all boxy/square, so I wonder if it hasn't been tailored to take the waist in - would that explain the smaller-than-expect pit to pit measurement?

Ben

Comment

Where does it swamp you? Around the chest, or just the shoulders? I'd say you're probably right, and it's probably a 40L but cut very slim. The sleeves are a bit shorter than I'd expect with that back length though.

Comment

It swamps me everywhere... shoulders, chest, waist, length. The sleeve length is actually the closest thing to normal, but still pretty ridiculous. Definitely makes me look like a little kid wearing daddy's jacket.

I've been going through a bunch of different BB jackets on eBay - 40R, 40L, 42R, 42L - and those measurements are pretty much all over the place. This jacket could be any one of them, with or without alterations. But based on torso length alone it's got to be either a 40L or a very fitted 42L. The waist is 20" across, FWIW.

Ben

Comment

@Don M, I'm also interested in that Zegna SC. Can you post the measurements?

Comment

@Fedodo @BenR

Yeah, the pink blazer is on fire. I assume since you didn't list a size you are keeping it. Looks too big from the picture, but if you decide to flip it and it sizes around 38 holler at me. 8)

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what does a pink blazer sell for? I was reaching for a green cashmere blend blazer at a thrift shop the other day, but it was too big for me.

And what do you wear with a pink blazer to avoid people questioning your masculinity? I wear pink shirts all the time, but the pink blazer confuses me. I wouldn't rule it out. I just can't figure it out.

Comment

Alan -

With such a statement piece as a pink blazer, I would go for the so called "Italian Background" - light blue shirt, navy tie (solid, striped, pin-dot), grey pants (wools or chino's), and a simple white pocket-square. It might sound boring, but I think with the blazer standing out over it, it would look pretty good.

Just think about if you moved around the colors to any of the other pieces:

Navy blazer, pink shirt, grey tie, white pants, light blue pocket square.

Grey blazer, white shirt, pink tie, navy pants, light blue pocket square.

In my mind, all those colors just work together in any combination.

Comment

I'll preface this by admitting this is something I'm more likely to hear my wife say, but...

I don't think I own a pair of shoes to go with that blazer.

Comment

Working...
                                X