Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i got these the other day on my first serious run suprisingly i found quite a few pairs of allen edmonds and florsheim shoes in the thrift stores near my house but i only picked these up cause they were my size can anyone let me know if they were worth the ten bucks i paid for them

florsheim size 12

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/michael_sprague1/IMAG0013.jpg

i also picked up these bostonian cap toes

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/michael_sprague1/IMAG0011.jpg

howd i do?

Comment

Any shoe you like and will wear is worth $10. The Florsheims look very nice. I would have left the Bostonians (and really, all Bostonians).

If you see any Allen Edmonds lace-ups in size 10-10.5 please pick them up

Comment

Those cap toes have some hefty damage done to them on the toes. Not sure how they look with ur feet in em.

Comment

@Glen--I do believe they're wide width. Any wide-footed 9.5ers out there?

I'm not really looking for anything in particular, though I can always use blazers and slim-ish, work-appropriate trousers. I've found it's more the thrill of the hunt that I enjoy

Comment

@IanD watch out! That thrill can lead to bags and bags of nice clothes piled up at your house

Comment

Are the florsheims worth any money if I wanted to flip them

Comment

I'm guessing by flotations you mean Bostonians. (Silly autocorrect....)

Probably not. You could try but most people who shop for used shoes are looking for "higher end," US- or English-made shoes in good-to-perfect condition. Most thrift shops have a certain window of time in which you can return items for store credit or do an exchange. If you don't plan on wearing the Bostonians, I would consider doing that, and seeing if you can pick up something else instead, even if it's just a couple ties or something.

[Edit] Oops, guess I was wrong. You could probably make a few bucks off the Florsheims if you wanted to, but I don't think they're quite as desirable as stuff like Allen Edmonds or Alden.

Ben

Comment

I'd have to see more of them... Are they Imperials? How new are they? What do the soles look like? Are they welted or glued?

Comment

@Michael: I think those are somewhat newer florsheims, but I've been surprised at what sells (and doesn't sell) on ebay, so they might go for something if you start them at $10 with $10 shipping. (I'm assuming you paid $5 or so for them).

Oh, and just FYI everyone, I don't think Aruba has thrift stores, but they definitely have Starbucks, which is a welcome Internet sight after 3 days of .75-a-minute wireless.

Comment

P.S. This hasn't been mentioned yet but I am crazy jealous of that pink RL blazer.

I've secretly lusted after a pink blazer/tux jacket/etc. since I watched the first ever episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy so many years ago, and they put the guy in a Ralph Lauren tux with a powder pink jacket. I never have any occasion to wear a tux so a nice casual blazer is about the closest I'd get.

Ben

Comment

to be honest @jason i have nooo idea

thank you for the input and honesty.. i figured i could just keep the bostonians as a spare. and the florsheims came with nordstrom shoe trees and were in near perfect condition. i also picked up a few more things and would love to get your guys honest input

facconable gingham button down collar..which is huge on me but i figured if anybody on here wasnts it we could swap or something

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMAG0021.jpg

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/michael_sprague1/IMAG0023.jpg

and i found two ties this one is christian dior and woven in italy

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMAG0016.jpg

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/michael_sprague1/IMAG0017.jpg

and this awesome tommy hilfigier blue polka dot tie

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMAG0018.jpg

Comment

@Michael: Nice TH tie you found there. I wonder why anyone would give that up. It's not like it's taking up space. Maybe the last owner died? You don't want any of that bad mojo. You should just send it to me. ;-)

Comment

The Facconable is nice and flippable for probably $20-25. If you like the ties then great... There's very few tie makers that are worth buying to resell though.

Comment

The Brooks Brothers navy blazer I picked up doesn't have a marked size and I'm having a difficult time estimating based on the measurements I've taken. Can anyone tell me what general size jacket this might be?

20" shoulder to shoulder

24 13/4" sleeve length from shoulder seam

32 1/2" back length from base of collar

I'm guessing it's a 44R or a 44L... maybe a 44L that's had the sleeves shortened a bit.

Ben

Comment

I had mixed luck today. It was the first time I was finding really nice brands, but most had something wrong with each article. I found a Hart Schaffner Marx grey suit with the jacket that fit me great (42L). I've really been looking for a grey suit lately and it would be that much better if I could get it at thrift prices. I found two other full suits that were in great condition and donated by the same person (saw the last name written inside the pants). Once I got in the fitting room, I didn't even need to try the pants on to notice they were at best a 30 inseam and with only an inch cuff. I was boggled for a bit how someone could be a 42L but then only a 30 inseam (don't mean ONLY a 30 for those folks who are in that ballpark, but I'm a 36 and thought I had kind of lanky arms).

Next I found a Canali suit coat but no pants, whomp. Thought about picking it up anyway but it was priced as a full suit and almost double what they usually charge for suits. It was the blue/black diamond setup someone posted on here a few days ago. Also came across a great HF plaid sport coat but it was 50R. If I had any tailoring skill myself I'd bite the $10 bullet and try to cut the jacket straight down the back and take out 3-4 inches. I realize that probably wouldn't work but looked great, was almost like JC's blackwatch but with navy and tans.

Finally came across another grey H. Freeman and Sons suit, perfect fit in the jacket (maybe a little sleeve alteration) but a small (but big) iodine stain. I'm not even sure what an iodine stain would look like or why it would be on suit pants, but its the first thing that popped into my mind. Essentially just looked like a mean stain that was really embedded in the fabric.

All was not lost, did come away with some things. I was just surprised because I usually have trouble finding 42L stuff and there was plenty today just with some problem area.

Pickups:

1) HF navy blazer with gold buttons and the works. I know some people hate the gold buttons and I've never seen anyone in their 20s wearing one so figured I'd give it a shot. Fabric felt great, fit was nice and while I'd prefer it to be a bit more fitted at the sides it is a more conservative piece so I probably won't have a tailor touch it.

2) Brooks Brothers Herringbone sport coat. Really liked it because thought it looked unique. Its grey herringbone but with green/orange subtle windowpane. Kinda bummed because the mirror at the store was a little deceptive and I thought it fit a lot better. When I got home though, it is a bit baggy in the waist, probably a 44L. I may get it taken in but will have to see how much that runs. If anyone is interested, I could but down for a swap for something similar in a 42L.

3) Ermenegildo Zegna Houndstooth sportcoat. I have heard people talk about how you can feel quality in the fabric, but I never really saw a practical example of it. Sure 100% wool feels better than a poly blend but I struggle to really notice a difference sometimes comparing different Super 120s. Then I came across this beauty. I thought the HF blazer felt great but this sport coat's fabric is amazing. It's light, yet substantial. It falls with assertiveness as if to say "What, you think gravity makes it look this good? Try again". If Chuck Norris was a sport coat, he'd be this; I mean look at the first pic, its already working out on an iron gym! Maybe I'm getting a little carried away but really does look great. No size tag and no chance of ever fitting me unless maybe I add those 4 inches from the HF plaid sport coat to this puppy and make a frankenblazer. I'm guessing its a 36 or 38 Short. I will have to measure it eventually but if anyone is interested it will motivate me that much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X