Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben, I may be interested in the PRL shoes if you're looking to unload them to a forum member, pending size.

I just got back from my tailor after spending almost two hours there getting all of my recent thrift finds chopped up. Almost every garment he asked me where I got it from and commented on the quality, which became almost a little embarrassing to say "I found these flannel trousers NWT for 3$," or whatever applicable garment it was, during every fitting. Dropped off 5 shirts, 7 trousers, 2 sportcoats, 1 overcoat, and 1 toggle coat this time around.

Comment

@Jason: I think I'm going to hang on to the tux. I'll send the next one your way

I hit up the store again today. Found a lot of stuff. Some of it it isn't noteworthy and headed straight to ebay. Here are the highlights:

Another Armani suit. This one is nicer than the last. Defiantly from the same donor as the first:

J. Press OCBD

Crazy Pink Polo RL Chino Blazer

Gant Rugger Shirt

Comment

@Fedodo completely understand... Quality tuxes are more rare than quality shoes.

Nice finds. Where do you live? Must be a big city with this stuff.

Comment

I live in a suburb of D.C. It's a relatively wealthy and diverse area, which I guess translates to good thrifting

Comment

Love me some J. Press & Gant. It's the New Havener in me. Although I'm not a big of that Gant Rugger.

Comment

In other words, I may have to ask you to keep an eye peeled for any of those two in Mediums or 15.5/32-33.

Comment

@Chern: I see a good amount of J. Press. I'll keep you in mind the next time I go out

Comment

Fedodo: where are the good thrifts? I am 42r 34x30 pant and 16.5x33 shirt. So i understand if you dont want any competition. But if you don't mind, i am in potomac md and would love to know. [email protected]. i havent found good men's consignment or thrifts at all. Mustard Seed iBethesda is bad, and the rest are women's clothes.

Comment

Weng: I have a lot of luck at Unique thrift in Silver Spring. It's a huge store with very little competition for the kind of stuff of interest on Dappered

Comment

@ Fedodo. Awesome. I'm not looking for anything in particular, so don't feel rushed to grab something right away on my behalf especially if you come across it a good amount. But even around Yale I've only gotten one blue gingham shirt and a Burlington Knot tie.

Comment

Cool thanks! I will check out the Wheaton one as well...

Comment

Got pics taken of the AE loafers and PRL shoes:

http://photobucket.com/BenRThrifteds

The AEs are size 9.5E, 12" long, 4 3/8" wide.

The PRLs are size 9D, 11 3/4" long, 4 1/4 wide.

Both are in pretty good condition. On the PRLs, though, the sole seems to have split very slightly from the welt along the outer edge of each shoe. I suspect they will probably need to be resoled to fix it.

Let me know if anyone wants 'em or they're going on eBay in a few days.

In other news, the thrifting gods seem to have taken pity on me for my Valentino suit FML yesterday and I found an Italian cashmere blazer that works for me. Not as nice a fit as the Valentino, but I'll take it....

Ben

Comment

So this is my first post--I started reading a few months ago when I was trying to upgrade my wardrobe, and I've definitely been bitten by the thrift bug over the last few weeks. So far, my haul hasn't been overly impressive.

--Several ties, many of which are now in my regular rotation

--a couple of nice jcrew cotton sweaters

--a blue blazer with red and white pinstripes, not in the greatest shape but fits me like a glove and is fine for casual wear

My best find, by far came tonight:

A pair of Bruno Magli cap toe oxfords, in fantastic condition. They even came with a pair of Johnston and Murphy shoe trees. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to wear them--they're 9.5W and too big for me. Any interest on here?

By the way, I'm in the DC area as well, and I'm happy to look for any of you if you'll keep an eye out for me as well--I'm 36S, 29x30-32 pants, and 14.5/32-33. I'm finding there's not much out there on the smaller end of the size spectrum.

Comment

Yeah, those sizes are hard to find for sure. I'll keep my eyes open though. Lots of people finding shoes in the 8-9.5 range... Somebody find some awesome 10-10.5's please!

Comment

@IanD - awesome find. Are 9.5W wide width? As in comparable to 9.5E? I'm between a 9.5C-9.5D, but if they're medium width I'd gladly buy them off of you. In terms of smaller clothes, 36S and 29x30 are hard to come by, but there are a few of us with similar measurements. Any particular items you're looking for?

Comment

Working...
                                X