Clear All

Another good day:

Hickey Freeman Houndstooth Boardroom Suit 40R

Hickey Freeman Tux

Turnbull & Asser

Zegna X3

RRL Work Shirt

Comment

Had a giant FML moment today. Found a Valentino suit, made in Italy, in my size... the jacket was a snug fit but almost perfect. Tried on the pants - couldn't get them closed, but it looked like it possibly had enough material to let them out so I could wear them. I figured, worse case scenario, I can sell it on eBay. Mostly I was super stoked about the jacket, which made me look like a million bucks.

It was $30 instead of the usual $10 or $12 for a suit, but I figured, meh, worth it.

Got to the register to pay... noticed in the back, one big fat moth hole. If only it had been the pants! I still would have paid $30 just to wear that jacket as a blazer. FML FML FML. I had to leave it. It may be a Valentino suit but it stops being such a bargain when you factor in the necessary costs of tailoring and reweaving... especially since I wasn't sure there was enough material in the pants to get them to fit me anyway. Sigh.

Ben

Comment

@BenR: I had one of those FML moments with a navy cashmere blazer. It's no Valentino suit, but I feel your pain. It felt like it fit well in the store, but they didn't have a very large mirror. When I got home, I noticed the shoulders were just way too big. At least it was only $6.

Comment

Went back today and ended up picking up the Hart Schaffner Marx jacket I left a few days ago. It was made for Wallach's, an old men's store in Manhattan (and others) that was discontinued in 1995. It's a pretty heavy virgin wool, light brown herringbone. The large patch pockets make it awesomely casual and I think the shank buttons are starting to grow on me.

I also got some light brown suede American Eagle Ranger Boots that will serve me nicely for many purposes.

I'll be honest - I love going into a thrift shop and finding shirts I'm not enamored with. Lord knows I don't need anymore shirts and it's relieving that the ones I like are a little off in the fit or the ones that would fit have terrible patterns, even by some of the more reputable makers.

Comment

@BenR The wingtips measure 12" long x 4 1/32" wide at the ball of the foot and 3.5" at the middle of the heel

Comment

@Fedodo what size is the tux?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. How much do you want for them?

Ben

Comment

@Jason: Also a 40R

Comment

@Fedodo, keeping it or open to trade?

@BenR $40 shipped sound okay?

Comment

Sounds good to me. Is your email just your name @gmail.com?

Ben

Comment

jcarreira AT gmail.com

send me a note first

Comment

@Jason: I'm defiantly open to offers, but I'm not sure if I want to part with it

Comment

I'm still always on the lookout for a 40R tux, myself. They're always the wrong size or missing the pants. :-P

Comment

@Fedodo what size(s) do you wear? Anything you're looking for?

Comment

I went to the GoodWill near my school today since I was walking over toward the Subway for lunch. I haven't been there in a while because last time I went, they had literally nothing in terms of men's suits/jackets and shoes.

This time, though, I found a few good things. A Brooks Bros navy blazer with horn buttons, no size marked but looks like a 40 or 42, perfect condition. A pair of black Allen Edmonds penny loafers in good shape, I don't recall the size off the top of my head but I think around 10D.

I left behind a pair of Italian-made Polo Ralph Lauren shoes too, but after seeing how much they go for on eBay, I think I'll swing by and pick them up after class.

I'll post pics and more exact measurements/sizes when I get home tonight.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X