Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just slip them into the back of the closet or keep them in your trunk for a while. Then slide them slowly into your rotation so that she doesn't remember where they came from. Then if she asks, just tell her, "These things? I've had them for forever!"

Done.

Comment

Well, if they don't work out for you, you can always make a killing selling them on eBay or Styleforum.

Ben

Comment

I know everybody's different, but I'd never be able to sell something great I found in a thrift store unless it really didn't fit me.

Comment

True, I'd probably keep a well-fitting, really nice suit or sc (but I never find good ones), but the possibility of getting $150 or more for shoes that don't fit me to a T might be hard to pass up. But if they fit, or I can make them fit, I'll keep them.

Comment

@jon: I know what you mean about fitting being key. I bought a navy cashmere sportcoat from a thrift store a couple of weeks ago. They didn't have a good mirror in the store, but it felt like the right size. I paid my $6 and took it home. Once I got home, though, I realized it's too big in the shoulders. So I'll likely never wear it in public. At least it was only $6.

And FWIW, I'd never get anything for selling it. It has ink stains on the inside where a pen broke, and the lining on the left cuff has seperated.

So I guess if anyone out there is a 42R, this would probably be a better fit. I won't up-charge because of its condition, but I'd want to recoupe my cost and toss in $5 for the effort to send it off (plus obvious shipping fees).

Comment

The size on this navy SC says 54, but that's European sizing. Doesn't fit me, so I'm looking to trade. Full pics when I get home.

I also missed out on a DB corneliani suit because I couldn't find pants, but it was huge as well. I might go back for a Harold Powell Camel hair SC in 42R that was obviously too big for me and had a tiny moth hole on the lapel, but felt like butter (and I think the inside tag said Zegna, but I could be crazy)

Comment

Not from a thrift store, but pretty much the same price:

JC Penney is revamping their stores and clearing some stuff out. I picked up two no-name sweater vests (burgundy and sand) for $5 each.

Comment

I saw some burgundy Florsheim Imperial closed-lace wingtips in 10C (narrow). In fairly good condition with a few scuffs and creases. If someone wants them, I could go back and pick them up (no promises they'll still be there, though). I tried them on and they didn't feel too huge - my feet are 7.5-8. I'm guessing they would fit someone with a size 9-9.5 foot, regular width.

They were $12.99 so I could probably ship them to you for $20.

Ben

Comment

Are Bostonian cap toes a good purchase? I'm at the thrift store right now and there are a few pairs of Bostonian cap toes and several florsheim loafers but I don't knower if I should pick them up to try to flip then

Comment

For the Bostonians... If they're in good condition and the fit you (and you like them), they're probably worth keeping. However, in terms of flipping, it depends on the particular shoe. I'm not aware of any Bostonian cap toes that are worth much.

As for the Florsheims, I'm going to be less helpful.

Comment

Any interest in a trade? 54 EU

70% lambswool, 30% cashmere.

p to p: 22

sleeve: 25

shoulder: 21

length: 31.5

Comment

@BenR - do you know if they are the older Florsheims? I'm interested if they are pre-1980. If they have V-Cleats and in decent shape then I'm all over it for $20. Just gotta cross my fingers that they'll fit my 9.5D foot.

Comment

@ Glen - I'm not sure on the age but I'm guessing they aren't quite that old. IIRC the sole was leather but the heel was some kind of rubber - no v-cleat.

Ben

Comment

I saw two virgin wool HSM jackets with pretty cool patterns today on my way home but they both have shank buttons and I don't dig those at all. About how much would it cost to get the buttons replaced (my tailoring skills are non-existent at best)? I don't know if the jackets will still be there when I can go back, but it'd be nice to know. I also saw a John Varvatos thiiiin red and white stripe spread collar shirt - if only the neck fit.

Comment

Been a while since I posted anything on Dappered but I have been following. I was inspired to do some thrifting recently and came up with some great finds.

AE Bentons ($11.99), Bruno Magli Mellos (12.99) and a sweet peacoat - $18.99 (exact one can be found here: http://www.legendaryusa.com/Schott-U...coat-p/740.htm)

Clicking on the pic will bring you to photos of my 3 finds.

Been getting some great information on what to look for on here...thanks for keeping me motivated.

Comment

Working...
                                X