Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found these bad boys today. 10 C -- or at lest I think that's what I read. Shell? Made by Peal?

They need some work, but will be pretty great shoes. Unfortunately, they're a bit too big for me.

Comment

Alden! Found them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Brooks...item43acc26d6a

Comment

Oh Shnap! You better find a way to make those fit!

Comment

That's pretty close to my size... I don't think they're shell though. There's microcreases on the uppers

Comment

I'm going to take them a-cobbling tomorrow after work to see if I can get a definitive yes. The Ask Andy gurus seem to think they are the Alden shells, and they certainly don't feel like normal leather.

Comment

Well, I'd trust them over me Good find.

Comment

Stopped by GW on a whim on the way to the gym. Turns out someone exactly my size who was very fond of Saks 5th Ave donated most their wardrobe recently. I picked up a pair of wool Zanella pants, Incotex Inco Chinos, a pinstripe Armani Collezioni suit and an Armani Collezioni sports coat. and all at 25% off

Comment

@jonATL and Fedodo: Some nice finds!

I haven't found anything recently, but it's been raining the past couple of days so I've finally been able to wear that thrifted Aquascutum raincoat I found a few weeks ago. It makes me feel very British. :-)

Comment

I took the shoes by the cobbler yesterday. He's going to strip the black polish off (the real color is a nice deep burgundy) and polish them up, so they should look pretty sweet. I'll post pics on Friday.

Yes, they are shell, and the guy seemed pretty excited about them. He told me that these are shoes I can give my grandkids. He was really floored when I said I picked them up at goodwill.

Comment

@jonATL: That's just fantastic. Congrats! I wish I cuold find anything like that at Goodwill. I have yet to find a single pair of shoes that's worth a damn (in ANY size) from the 6 thrift shops I've visited on multiple occassions.

Comment

@jonATL that's fantastic! Nice find.

Comment

Found a Manx Tweed SC today. Hadn't ever seen this tweed before. It's probably a 42 R. Should I go back and pick it up?

There was also a suede SC that was about the same size I should probably pick up as well.

Comment

Never heard of Manx... was it Harris Tweed?

Comment

@ Jon - I know you said they're too big for you, but if it were me, I would probably buy some insoles and try to make them work. Shell cordovan at thrift prices ain't something you find every day....

Ben

Comment

Apparently Manx tweed is from the Isle of Man. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?105790-Tweeds-by-region

I don't know if it's a rare find or not. Probably not.

@BenR: I'll make a judgment call on the shoes when I get them back from the cobbler. I know these are amazing shoes, but I'm starting to get wary of exceeding my wife's patience for thrifted shoes. In the two months I've been doing this, I've brought home 8 pairs; I've only kept 3, but still (I'm still kicking myself for selling those C&J boots, though I did make a tidy bit of change on the ebay sale).

Comment

Working...
                                X