Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone come across any tartan ties? I found one and it just bleeds character. New ones are very expensive and lack the very character that makes the one I picked up so awesome to me. Also looking for sportcoats of the tweed/tweed-like variety in a 42L with a nice siloette. Recently picked up whats probably a 40R and though I love the fit of the armholes and down the side, think it may be just too snug in the chest. Sleeve alterations don't seem as though they'd be trouble, but I'd rather save the $8 until I'm sure I can wear the 40 or pass it on to a buddy.

Comment

I did pick up 2 tartan ties, made in Scotland. I sold one on eBay and kept the other... if I decide to sell it it's already been spoken for

Are you looking for authentic tartan ties in a particular family tartan, or just nice wool plaid ties that look like tartans?

I'll put up some of the stuff I'm gonna put up on eBay for people to look at here first.

Comment

@jonATL - i think we are the same size. If that's the case, I may have a ton of stuff for you. Email me. glen dot delossantos at gmail dot com.

Comment

JC: I'm sure I still have something left in my budget for a tie if I find a cool one. :-) I'd be curious to see some pics!

Comment

@JC: I kind of like the idea of authentic tartan but don't have a family preference. I spend a few days in Halifax, Nova Scotia and kind of did a cultural immersion thing. It was far and by way cooler than I was expecting. I stumbled across a tartan shop and everything just had so much more character than any ordinary tie/shirt/etc. The one I have is red, green, yellow, and white which definitely sounds busy but I embrace the busy haha. Usually wear it with a black and white gingham with 1 inch boxes (vs. a microgingham) and a tweed sport coat.

Comment

Well, you can check http://www.scotlandshop.com/ for tartan stuff. The ties there aren't too expensive compared to other ties at retail.

Comment

My first Marshalls purchase. This Jack Spade was $45 (retail $125) and hadn't yet been put on Marshalls red or yellow-tag sale, but I really didn't want to put this back and risk not getting it. It's more than I usually pay for ties, but since my in-laws have a yearly Christmas party, this will get some good use.

Comment

Went back to the spot where I scored the PRL and Rugby cord blazers a few or so back, and snagged another PRL seersucker jacket in size S again. Fits wonderfully, but I wish I would've hit that store everyday waiting for the new racks to roll out. Then found a pair of captoe Allen Edmonds in 8.5D with a rubber sole, perfect for the rain storm we have rolling through this week. Next two stores were total busts, and then the last stop of the day yielded a really nice canvassed vintage overcoat that needs slight wait suppression, but it's a perfect color and in impeccable shape - even has hacking pockets! Also found another pair of Allen Edmond Marlows in 8.5EEE in a deep burgundy color, with minimal wear. Might keep these or throw em in my ever growing eBay pile. Then I found a pair of dead stock Florsheim longwings... until I realized that they had been matched with a pair of deadstock Nordstrom longwings... With their mates no where to be found. $2.99 for some mismatched shoes just didn't seem worth it. Their colors and shapes were identical, but the toe brogueing was completely different. Some poor soul is walking around with the mismatched mates as well...

Tomorrow I'm hitting every thrift from Sacramento to San Francisco, so hopefully it yields some gems.

Comment

I picked up my first pair of shoes today. Brown Faconnable wingtips. I couldn't find much on them, but at $3 and my size, they weren't a huge risk.

I also checked out Marshall's like jonATL. I found a crazy Etro silk pocket square for 7 bucks.

I don't have much occasion for either, but they're fun to have.

Comment

What thrifts, in your collective experience, have coupons floating around the web? GW, SA, Value Village? I'm not cheap, but I am cheap, so yeah.

Alternatively, do all GW, SA, VV stores coordinate their sale days?

Wednesday is half-off clothing at SA, but the VV tag sales always seem random, and I don't ever think I've seen a sale at GW.

Comment

My Salvo is half off a different color tag almost everyday of the week, although it's busiest on Wednesdays. Savers emails out 50% deals to its members so they have it a day or two before everyone else. That's maybe once a month. My Goodwill's are all terrible so I don't really bother.

Comment

The pickings were sparse again today. I did find an Italian-made tie that I liked, though.

Ben

Comment

Found three shirts today. 2 Vineyard Vines dress shirts and a Zegna in my size. The Zegna is by far the nicest shirt I have ever owned.

Also, another Patagonia Snap-T. Patagonia and Robert Graham have been paying for my thrifting habit lately.

Comment

Nice finds. Vineyard Vines sells really well too.

Comment

Just a heads up, Lands' End also has some tartan ties.

Comment

Working...
                                X