Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. Thrifting pics. I'll just post pics of the shoes, but everything recently uploaded to my photostream is up for grabs. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Any interest in anything? Offers?

C&J Chelsea size 8 1/2 D

Florsheim Imperials 8 1/2 D

Comment

I'd be all over those Florsheims if they were a 7.5 or 8. Alas.

Ben

Comment

I wore them today, and they pinch a tiny bit on the outside of the left foot, but fit well other than that, which is strange because I thought I had bigger feet. But I guess sizing varies widely. I might try some of that shoe-stretch spray on these.

And I'm not used to hammered shoes — this is the first pair I've ever worn — so I almost busted my face quite a few times on slick floors.

Comment

Tie day!

All silk, hand printed in England, made in USA (there were a TON more Talbotts that I passed up)

And I posted a sweet Made-in-Scotland W. Bill golf tie in Alan's golf shoe thread.

And if anyone wants these, I can pick them up for you. 9 1/2 C. The uppers look pretty good, but someone's replaced the suicide heel with rubber (which is much, much safer, of course).

Comment

Oh, and this is why I thrift.

MINT CONDISH!

Comment

Haven't posted any of my finds before. As a high school kid, thrifting has allowed me to dress well and pick up some extra cash. Some of this stuff is for me, and the rest is for ebay.

Canali Tie

Polo Ralph Lauren Chino/Khaki Blazer

Gitman Bros Houndstooth button-down

Pretty recent J. Crew button-down and flannel

L.L. Bean Norwegian Sweater (the thing's an absolute tank)

pretty much brand new Brooks Brother's braces. I really need to get around to putting some suspender buttons on my pants.

A ton of Patagonia Fleeces. I kept the first couple, but the rest went to the bay

Thanks to all who post here frequently. The knowledge is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to embed the images correctly

Comment

You just do plain HTML:

< img src="..." />

Comment

Had a good time at lunch today... Found 2 Hickey Freeman sport coats, one 48R that's a nice kinda glen plaid pattern and the other a really nice 50-51R(trying to remember) that's (I think this is right) 55% silk, 45% wool and feels great... Kind of a British tan with reddish and blue/green windowpanes. Looks great. Both available.

Also finally found some interesting pants, all around my size (34-36), but probably available. Brooks Brothers solid grey flannel w/ 2 pleats, but not horrible. Brooks 346 brown flannel with pleat(s). Hickey Freeman made in Italy brown wool, very heavy weight, very nice... pleats but I may keep them. I think they're forward pleats.

Also, not special but a cool pair of Banana Republic cotton that feel like linen and are a light tan, but without the yellow undertones of khaki and a Guy Laroche Monsieur tie that I really loved the pattern.

Oh, and it's too bad Adrian Jules stuff doesn't flip. I'm guessing the guy who dropped off the 2 HF sportcoats really liked Adrian Jules shirts. There were 9 of them, all custom made and very nice. Some blues, some yellows, lots of stripes. It was in there with a very nice blue striped Brooks Brothers 17.5/35 so I'm guessing they're around that size. If anyone wants them I'll proxy.

Comment

@JC:

Sounds like you had a much more productive lunch than I did. I tried out a new place, and probably won't be going back. Their suits were $20 and none of them were special. Their shoes were junk, too. At least the place was organized...

I actually hit on a heavy, brown 3-piece corduroy suit. Would have been fun to give it a shot, but the lapel was just too big for me to get over. Plus it had a crazy paisely lining that was too obvious even when wearing it. It was just too 70's (and not worth the $20 to experiemtn). I had to leave it.

... and thanks for the heads up on posting pics. I couldn't find any reference on how, but didn't want to bug anyone by asking.

Comment

@Alan: No interest in the golf tie?

Comment

@jon: No thanks. It's just not my thing. And I can't gift anything used. That would just be awkward. :-)

Comment

I hit up my best thrift store the other day and found zip, zilch, zero, nada. It was the first time I haven't found anything at all to buy. There was a pair of canvas sneakers that fit and are close-ish to what I've been looking for, but they were $12.99 - considering I've spotted similar sneakers for $20 on sale, $13 just didn't seem a good enough bargain to justify the purchase.

The real surprise is I didn't see ANYTHING decent on the shoe racks - no Allen Edmonds, no Florsheims, nothing. Usually I spot at least a couple decent pairs of shoes (not in my size).

Ben

Comment

@BenR, what size is that? If you see AE's in 10-10.5 medium width I'd love to get some...

Comment

In the 5 various thrift stores I've visited over the past severaal weeks, I have yet to see any shoes worth getting. I don't know if they even exist or if they just get snatched up. I don't visit regularly enough to find out.

Comment

Shoes and sweaters that aren't ruined are the hardest things to find.

Comment

Working...
                                X