X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Alan check out thethriftshopper.com

It won't have all of the secret honey holes but it'll have the common ones

Comment

Thanks! It provides better results than Google since it's more targetted. It's a good start. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

JC, that's a sweet jacket. I think I might have to buy it, but to make sure it will work, can you throw some measurements at me? (I thought I found a tweed w/patches today, but the sleeves were a bit too short and it didn't look like there was any wiggle room).

On a related note, do most of the tweeds you find have the Harris Tweed patch? I come across a number of tweeds, but have only found two with the patch.

Comment

Shoulder 2 Shoulder: 18"

Pit 2 Pit: 21"

Back from bottom of collar: 29"

Sleeve from point of shoulder to cuff: 24"

I think about 1 in 10 of the tweeds I find are Harris Tweeds. You can usually feel the quality difference. They feel much more substantial and scratchier. I haven't been finding many lately, but I pulled like 8 or 9 back in November.

Comment

Great. $28? How do we do this?

Comment

Email me at [email protected]

Comment

Not a thrifting find but got a very nice red, patterned Brooks Brothers '346' tie for $15. Didn't really have a red tie and the quality is nice. Not the biggest knot in the world but it's definitely not as bad as some people on SF would have you believe. Excited that the local Marshalls is now carrying some BB products!

Comment

On your note, I stopped by Marshalls on the way home and picked up a BB tie. It's listed as an irregular, but it seems to just have some hanging threads on the inside seam. It costed me $15, and I'm confident I can snip the threads without any damage.

It's also listed as a silk tie, but it feels pretty wooly to me. I have a hunch that they simply don't carry irregular tie tags that say anything but silk.

Comment

Yeah there were some irregulars there too, but the one I grabbed wasn't irregular. None actually looked "irregular" to the naked eye. Nice find! They also had some of those nice plaid nautica ties that Joe covered a while back.

Comment

Anyone wear a 50L? If so I have some suits for you... 3 HF, one new with tags and unhemmed. 1 Giorgio Armani le Collezioni.

Comment

Hot Damn! I just got back from lunch, and boy do I have story of beginner's luck. :-)

So I used that thrift store listing that JC put up here to find local thrift stores. I picked the first on the list - a place called Recovery Resale. I stopped in on my way back to the office.

The place was actually very small and over half the store was furniture. On top of that, about 80-90% of the clothes were women's. The men's clothes literally consisted of a single rack which was mostly coats. That's where it gets interesting...

Now I don't know much about designer labels, but I pulled a khaki raincoat from the rack that looked about my size. I immediately noticed that it had a zip-off liner and was in fantastic shape. I also noticed it had some thoughtful details like slip-through pockets that let me get my hands into my pants pockets without opening the coat.

Then I noticed the tag... I had never heard of the maker (Aquascutum), but I have heard of where it was bought - Harrod's. So I'm thinking by now that I'm holding a pretty nice jacket. I google the name, find the website, and look up the jacket. While they don't make this particular one anymore, they make a VERY similar one (minus horn buttons and leather buckles). This is it:

http://www.aquascutum.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1013&productid=B520015&productvarid =B520015-08000-38R&refpage=Aquascutum_Rainwear

Bottom line: I think (hope) I just bought a gently used $1000 raincoat for $12. Even if they play the high/low game on their pricing, it's still a $500 raincoat.

Comment

As far as I know, Aquascutum made trench coats for British soldiers as far back as both World Wars. And a quick wiki search says their fabric was even used in the Crimean War. So cool find, especially if it's in good condition. I come across a lot of their trenches, but they're usually in shitty condition and trenches don't look to snazzy on me anyway.

Comment

Thanks. It's actually in fantastic condition. Both the coat and liner are intact, and there are no stains except for two quarter-sized water stains around the hem that I think I can wash out.

Comment

Aquascutum is on par with Burberry in terms of quality (although not in terms of marketing or sales volume). It's one of the makers that has been given royal warrants (i.e. they can make for the royal family). All of these makers are of the highest quality. Great find!

Pics would be great when you get a chance.

Comment

Nice find, Alan! It's that type of moment that makes it all worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X