This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Tat No problem.

@heimdal, that's amazing! That's a dream find for me.

I had a few minutes this evening and went to a couple places... Found nothing at the first place. At the 2nd I was looking through the shoes and the very last pair I looked at was these:

Allen Edmonds Cody tassel loafers in excellent condition size 12D.

Anyone size 12D interested?

Comment

I keep finding shoes, which isn't a bad thing. Here are the Allen Edmonds Saxon I picked up today at GW, built on a last that they don't use anymore. Could be a nice business casual shoe, but I'm really searching for something a bit dressier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157628340970525/

And I picked this tweed up a while ago with my Florsheim Imperials. I don't think it's anything special, but I love the color, which is more maroon than you can see on the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7171611...7628341109575/

Comment

Had a good lunchtime haul:

Hickey Freeman Boardroom collection, 37R, blue/grey glen check

Hickey Freeman black blazer w/ pewter buttons, 40S

Brooks Brothers 346 corduroy sportcoat, NWOT, fit me nicely so around 41R

NWOT Timberland Chukkas, size 8.5C

Saks Fifth Avenue shoe trees, size L, with brass pulls

Comment

How long do you guys generally wait before checking the same store again?

Comment

I get to whichever ones I can when I can... I usually don't hit one more than once a week, but every day wouldn't be too much IMO.

The guys on the SF thifting thread talk about coming back to a store in the same day to catch new stuff coming out. The good stuff goes fast at a lot of stores, so the closer you are to when it's rolled out the better your chances.

Comment

I get to whichever ones I can when I can... I usually don't hit one more than once a week, but every day wouldn't be too much IMO.

The guys on the SF thifting thread talk about coming back to a store in the same day to catch new stuff coming out. The good stuff goes fast at a lot of stores, so the closer you are to when it's rolled out the better your chances.

Comment

I have a GW, Salvation Army and two charity thrifts all within a mile of my office in the same stretch of shopping centers. That's usually a daily lunchtime run for me. Today, unfortunately, I came up empty, but I usually get something.

Comment

Grabbed a pair of Made in Italy Ferragamo wingtips that look to be in my size today, although I only had 10 minutes and didn't get to try them on, and a 3/4 length untagged overcoat that was surprisingly in my size (36R) and had a phenomenal taper and will be worn to my company's holiday party tonight.

Does anyone else have serious problems at their thrift spots with shoe trees? I've found about 6 Nordstrom and other good looking shoe trees in great condition in the past week and have torn the store apart looking for their mates, only to no avail. Why don't they rubber band them together or at least stick them in the same area? I've also had people try and charge me $1.99 for each tree, saying they are separate items, in which I usually respond by asking who would only buy one tree, and leave the other? Well, I guess that's probably what has been happening... foolish!

Comment

I've begrudgingly come to the conclusion that the Saxon AEs are a bit too tight, so I'll sell them for a small bit of change. They do, however, need a resole, but that's pretty much it. The uppers, as you can see are pretty nice. $30, shipped, or a trade?

Again, here they are: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157628340970525/

Size 7 3E, #2 last, in production no longer.

Comment

Here's an idea for you thrifters. Would you guys be willing to take bounties, so to speak, on desired items? I.e. if I offered to pay $50 for a particular item, would you guys look for it the next time you went thrifting?

Comment

Bounties are an interesting idea. That would probably work for me. What are you looking for? You'd have to be very specific, of course.

Comment

Any know much about Hart Schaffner and Marx suits? I have purchased two recently at thrifts for $10 each. One labeled Nordstrom and one Dillards. Both of them have well fitting jackets with questionable pleated pants. Figured if nothing else I would just wear the jacket.

Are these pretty good quality? I see them everywhere thrifting in Denver. I don't know much about suits yet so I have a hard time telling quality just by looking at a suit

Comment

@Hardrain - both brands are great brands. Good finds!

@Bruschetta - i'm all in for bounties. in fact, that's what the buy/sell/trade forum can be used for. WTB = Want to Buy.

Comment

@bruschetta I pretty much pick up everything I think is valuable / flippable... I'm slowing down on shirts because they're more work than the flip value, but if you are looking for something in particular let me know.

@Hardrain, HSM can be good or mediocre, depending on the line. My tweed that I love is a HSM. HSM Gold Trumpeter is very good. HSM is part of HartMarxx which also bought Hickey Freeman a few years ago. Joseph Abboud is now the head of design for both. The thing to learn to tell the quality of a suit is how to tell if a jacket is fully canvassed, half canvassed, or fused. Here's a good article:

http://putthison.com/post/2817493175...h-test-id-been

Comment

Found two Canali suits and a HF yesterday, all way too big unfortunately. I also found a tweed blazer from a brand I didn't recognize that fit perfectly. Left it behind because I'm trying to cut back on purchases, but I might go on half-price Monday to see if it is still there.

Comment

Working...
                                X