X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evanparker
    replied
    This J. Press tweed was just SO rad, I just had to rescue this from the store, but it's not my size at all. I think it's more like a 38R or 40R (but no tag), i'm a 44R. I'll be ebaying it eventually, once I get the measurements straightened out.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    depends on a lot of things, including where you live, your tailor, and the tailor across the street from them.

i tend to think about $15 per seam they have to change. but it really could be anything.

what do you want to change? the sleeves? IF there is extra fabric, which is often frankly a bit of a gamble, probably $15 per sleeve, and maybe a couple bucks a button that has to get moved.

Leave a comment:

• Wahoo1997
    replied
    Well, I pulled the trigger. Cost $6.50. I may take it to the tailor to have sides taken in a bit. What should I expect to pay?

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I dunno, seems a bit big in the shoulders to me.

Leave a comment:

• Wahoo1997
    replied
    Let's hope it's there tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• thecharlesg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
    Found a grey flannel 100% wool cricketeer suit at goodwill. Fit seems good but sleeves may be a bit short. Single vent. Flat front pants. I seem to recall that Cricketeer was an ok brand back in the day. Worth $13 plus dry cleaning?
    Great find. Looks nice.

Leave a comment:

• mmgfarb
    replied
    Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
    Found a grey flannel 100% wool cricketeer suit at goodwill. Fit seems good but sleeves may be a bit short. Single vent. Flat front pants. I seem to recall that Cricketeer was an ok brand back in the day. Worth $13 plus dry cleaning?
    I think the sleeve look alright but the jacket seems a little big around the waist, I would have it taken in a touch.

Leave a comment:

• Wahoo1997
    replied

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    i'm right in the beginning of the "Fat old white guy" size range for suits. 44R jacket, 36 x 30 pants.

SO i do great finding non-contemporary stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    Originally posted by TMann View Post

Are most of you folks who do a lot of thrifting of average height and weight?
    I am 6'1"

The issue I have is with trousers. Trousers that are either right length or long enough to work tend to be greater than 42 waist in thrift stores. Even trousers that are too short tend to mostly be 40+. New, 34 or 36 is easy to find. I think this may be because most men in the US wear 40 or above.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello! New-ish member here on the forums. Been thrifting for about a year now. Have picked up some good stuff from our local stores: a tweed overcoat; a low-end, but still nice leather jacket; a like-new Columbia parka; a navy-colored trench coat; and a bunch of good condition casual button-up shirts. I’m still looking for a nice wool navy blue blazer in my size.

Are most of you folks who do a lot of thrifting of average height and weight?
    The reason that I ask is that the selection is a lot smaller for those of us who are short (5’7”), slim and have small-ish feet (size 7.) I’ve seen some really cool stuff in the larger sizes.

Anyways, I’ve enjoyed the pics in this forum. I’ll try to post a few sometime soon.

Leave a comment:

• C.Dubs
    replied
    Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
    Lol, what's with that guy anyway? Doesn't he realize that he's not fooling anybody and that he's just giving a lot of people a bad feeling towards the brand? (Nice find on the tweed jacket btw)
    Seems to be this particular brand's MO. Create a user profile, drop some innocuous posts, try to discreetly advertise. Definitely annoying. Definitely pushes me away from the brand.

Leave a comment:

• mmgfarb
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    My new harris tweed, from Nattyshirts. No not really :-D
    Lol, what's with that guy anyway? Doesn't he realize that he's not fooling anybody and that he's just giving a lot of people a bad feeling towards the brand? (Nice find on the tweed jacket btw)

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    My new harris tweed, from Nattyshirts. No not really :-D

a very thinly shoulder'd and half-lined harris tweed jacket, $7. I think it's from the late 1970's?

it looks a little dumpy and un-shaped on a hanger, but looks great when you put it on.

Wierdly, i've never seen a tweed with this distinct pattern in person. i should get a close up of the fabric, but it's VERY colorful , blues and reds and oranges. Most of mine are a lot different color pallets than this.

Leave a comment:

• Rocco
    replied
    Originally posted by fiftyforfifty
    My new shirts from Nattyshirts

I am satisfied they crafted shirts well.

Any comments.
    You aren't fooling anybody here. In fact, this kind of "marketing" makes me less likely to buy your shirts. You can pass that up the chain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X