This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a pretty good night... First at Savers:

Saw my first Ermengildo Zegna. It was a suit coat without the pants and kinda beat up, so I left it. Found 3 Harris Tweeds, but one had moth holes when I got it home, and it was the one that fit me The other two are around a 37-38 and around a 44 if anyone's interested. Also got myself a grey flannel waistcoat, a longsleeve Braves t-shirt, and 3 cotton handkerchief / pocket squares: one white with a red/maroon plaid, one white with a purple / orange plaid, and one white with a blue plaid. Also found a very nice casual Orvis 2-ply cashmere sweater. Spent an hour with the sweater stone and it looks and feels great. @MaxMan, I used the $3 off coupon you posted... actually used 2 because my girlfriend was with me

Next we went to Salvation Army and found some good stuff... Dress shirts from Canali with MOP buttons, Etro (kinda ugly), 2 from Hickey Freeman, and a casual one from Robert Talbott with black MOP buttons.

I also picked up a Karl Lagerfeld suit that fits me in an awesome grey glen check pattern. It mayble looks a little dated with padding in the shoulders and low notches, but I dunno. Might try to flip it, might just wear the pants. I passed up a great Harris Tweed overcoat that fit me perfectly in the shoulders and chest, and was in great shape because when I tried it on the sleeves were like 4 inches too short. What kind of T-Rex wore this thing?

I also found a nice wool v-neck from Hickey Freeman, size XL:

The absolute best was an amazing Purdey tweed hacking jacket. I wasn't sure if I should get it till I checked eBay and saw that one like it sold for $200. It's really amazingly well made, but unfortunately it's a 46R.

Comment

I did a rather foolish thing today that seemed like an amazing idea at the time. I picked up a black pair of AE Sanfords for .99. I made sure they fit, but I was so excited that I forgot to thoroughly look at the shoe. There are some significant cracks on the uppers. Can this be repaired? I was thinking of doing the $99 Allen Edmonds refurbish, but if the leather can't be improved, I'll just take a .99 bath on the shoes.

I did finally get a sweet Tweed jacket, though. I don't think it's the best quality — Stanley Blacker for Jordan Marsh — but it looks pretty hip.

Comment

$0.99 bath doesn't sound that bad

Either way, if you have an AE store nearby you could take them in and ask for a sales associate's opinion.

Comment

@Jason A Braves shirt? One of my first finds — granted it was at the uber hip Rag O Rama shop — was a vintage Braves shirt that I wear to almost every game. If you are referring to another Braves, I apologize.

On another sports-related note, I'm keeping my eye out for a nice Orange gingham shirt (Syracuse grad) if anyone has seen anything I need to have.

Comment

@jonATL, nope same Braves. I'm from Athens, GA and I'm a UGA grad, by the by... And now I live in Rochester. I think your way from NY -> GA makes more sense, but oh well.

Comment

I picked up some black Allen Edmonds Milford loafers. They're a size 7 but fit my size 8 feet perfectly...? Strange, considering my other good thrifted shoes are a size 9.5. Anyway, the style is not my favorite necessarily, but they are in really good used condition, fit well, and are very comfortable. I'm sure I'll find occasions to wear them, I think they will look ok with jeans or wool trousers. (I am not a fan of the black loafers/khakis look that seems to dominate some workplaces so I will avoid that at all costs.)

Here's a decent eBay image, most stock photos make them look a lot clunkier than they are:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/8/8/6...2743192_tp.jpg

Ben

Comment

Had an okay day today... Picked up 3 pairs of shoes, but none in my size... 1 pair of nice Florsheim Imperial longwings, one pair of Johnston and Murphy wingtips in good shape, a nice brown... and a pair of Johnston and Murphy penny loafers that have barely been worn. All around size 8 if anyone's interested.

I picked up another HF suit, 40S, and another Harris Tweed to flip. Found a nice Hickey Freeman casual shirt.

For me I found an amazing pair of Hickey Freeman flannel pants in a subtle grey on grey plaid. They're the perfect length, but I'll have to have them taken in about an inch at the waist. They don't fit as nice as my Bonobos, but damn is that fabric nice.

Comment

Went to a couple of Goodwills in my area today for the first time in a while. I think I scored something pretty nice. It's a 100% cashmere herringbone jacket, made in Italy by Belvest for Barcelino, and it's in great shape. There was no price tag so they charged me $11. Seems to fit pretty well too. I will post pics when I get the chance. Amusingly the front pockets are still stitched shut.

Comment

@Jason, got any pics of the 40S suit? I may be interested.

Comment

Picked up a nice J. Press light brown plaid sportcoat. It has some horizontal lines that don't line up in front when buttoned, so I'll have to do a little button adjustment. Also got a Pendleton red and black plaid shirt and ugly Eddie Bauer Fair Isle sweater for some Christmas parties. Some clown got rid of a perfect condition navy J. Crew peacoat, which I definitely didn't need but could not pass up.

Comment

@Sal Belvest is always amazing.

@Glen Unfortunately I found a small moth hole as I was measuring it up

I went out for most of the day today... Found NWOT Alden's size 11.5AAAA... Robert Talbott 7 fold tie, Brioni tie, Paul Stuart tie, Brooks Brothers Makers tie. Canali sportswear casual shirt, NWT Hickey Freeman linen shirt, 6 Brooks Brothers shirts, 3 Hickey Freeman shirts, and 2 Ike Behar shirts. A 40R Hickey Freeman flannel suit. 2 more Harris Tweeds to flip (if anyone wants / needs a Harris tweed, tell me your size, mostly 40+ I think). Picked up an awesome Woolrich parka for me. Pics tomorrow if y'all are interested.

Comment

@Jason Any of those Harris Tweeds a 40short-ish? I'm getting the tweed I picked up Friday back from the cleaners tomorrow, but I could always use another one, I guess.

And this is unrelated, but since you're a Georgian ... THE BRAVES ARE KILLING ME, and the season is still five months away. If Miami wants to buy up every free agent, we need to make a move before we become the fourth best team in the NL East.

@Pepper: Um, I don't have a pea coat, so if you need to get rid of it, I might be able to help. What size is it?

Comment

@jon Meh... lots of free agents don't necessarily add up to a good team. Even if they build a great team they'll just dismantle it the next year.

I'll be measuring up jackets tomorrow. I'll let you know if any look like 40S

Comment

@Jason - any of those items in my size?

Comment

Hey Jason,

I was wondering how much you are looking for the knit sweater from Ireland? Also, to confirm, the tag is Large?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X