Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went today at lunch for some thrifting therapy... I picked up a grey Harris Tweed 44R, a large Brooks Brothers sport shirt that kind of looks like a shirt jacket in purple plaid, and a pair of 28 Paul Stuart khakis that are really nice. None of them fit me if anyone's interested.

Comment

jc u got pix and measurements on the purple plaid?

Comment

I'll take some pics and measure them up tomorrow

Comment

Here's the BB shirt jacket (shoulder to shoulder seam: 21.5", bottom of collar to bottom of shirt: 34", shoulder seam to sleeve cuff: 24")

and here's the Paul Stuart khakis (waist side to side 14.5", 28" inseam):

Comment

Hey Jason, I sent you a message on FB regarding the HF suit, did you receive it? I had a few additional questions about the suit - it's been a while since I heard from you. Thanks, hopefully I'll have that hanging in my closet soon.

On another note, I found a deadstock pair of Thom McAne shell cordovan wholecuts on Sunday - 4th pair of shells I've picked up for under 10$ that all fit perfectly. I'll be breaking these in for the new few weeks, although I've read online that they used very cheap shell that won't hold up very long... Hopefully AAAC and SF are wrong on this front!

Comment

Nope, I didn't get it. Which suit was it? I've probably already sold it. I recently picked up a 37 H. Freeman & Sons grey pinstripe suit, if you're interested.

If you guys need to get in touch with me outside of the forum you can email me at jcarreira AT gmail.com

Comment

All of my hours spent pouring over thrift store suit racks have just payed off. I (somehow) found a $9,575 Kiton, 100% cashmere suit in perfect, unaltered condition at the local Salvation Army thrift store for $20. On top of that, the jacket fits me perfectly with only the pants needing some slimming (for my personal taste).

Jacket, Inside 1, Inside 2, and tag

I don't mean to brag, I just didn't know where else anyone would care

Let this be an example to never give up your hunt!

Comment

Wow, I know a lot of people fawn over owning such high style items...but if I found something like that I would sell it a heartbeat. Granted I rarely have to wear suits. But I would definitely choose to turn that into a maaaajor profit.

Either way, dope find.

Comment

I saw some tweed at a thrift today (OK, I originally saw it on Monday, then came back today and saw it was still there), and I was willing it to fit me. Unfortunately, there was no chance these 41 Long blazers were going to work (I wear a 40S usually). I didn't take pics, for some reason, but I do remember they were Donnegal Tweed and had a tag from the Buckhead Men's Shop (http://www.neighbornewspapers.com/st...or-made,169866).

If anyone's is interested, I can go back and take pics of both (I'm assuming the same guy donated them). I remain on the lookout for a tweed blazer that fits.

Comment

And I thought my lunch break thrift stop was worthwhile.. that's a crazy pull. I'm assuming it still had the tags on it?

I grabbed a pair of cognac 11D Aldens in almost new condition, a Hugo Boss (meh, EU46R and it fit perfect for 5$) wool houndstooth sportcoat in cream, forest green, and burgundy, and a XS J. Crew cream fall jacket with a brown corduroy collar and lining.

I haven't run across a Kiton just yet, just my fair share of Canali, Oxxford, and RLPL in the worst sizes and conditions..

Comment

@chern since it fits me so well, I think I'll at least get seen in it a few times before I think about selling it

@ZachL The tag was in the inside breast pocket (along with extra buttons/thread). I'm sure it was worn a few times, but it's in perfect shape. I was so shocked to see a Kiton in a thrift store in southeast Michigan, let alone for so cheap. I'm with you though, most of time good brands are in 56R with the ridiculously short sleeves or ink stains. This is the only crazy find I've had in two years of regular thrifting.

Comment

I gotta say...that's a smart plan.

Comment

@Trevor - good heavens what an amazing pull.

@jonATL - if you're interested in buying/trading, i'll have some jackets in your size posted within the next week or 2. I wear a 38S-40S.

Comment

Wow... @trevor you win the thread. Amazing find.

I've never found anything that nice, or even Canali, etc... I did find an Oxxford suit that fits that I found for $10 though, so I can't complain too much.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck these past two days - grabbed some black AE McAllister's which fit pretty spot on for being a 7E (tiny man feet), a recent Etro tie (the same place had oodles of Hand Made in England/Italy ties in really poor condition, including a bunch of Ben Silvers and the like, such a shame), and two pairs of NWT Club Room size 29 100% worsted wool flannel flat front unfinished trousers that are going to look smashing once they get out of the tailors.

Ran into another thrifter who was loosing his mind over a Martha's Vineyard tie he found "This is a 75$ TIE!".. granted he did say he pulled a NWT $4,500 suit by some brand I've never heard of the other week, so I guess he's just easily excitable.

Comment

Working...
                                X