Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Evan, that's a great perspective. I've been told by our local Goodwill here in northern Virginia that all the donations go to a central warehouse and then are doled out proportionally to each individual store. Therefore, just because a store is in poor neighborhood X, doesn't mean the clothes are coming from there. And vice versa in the rich neighborhoods. Also, I've noticed that Goodwill cherry picks a lot of stuff to go on their auction website, which presumably brings in more money. Also, individual stores now have "premium" racks where they put the "high end" clothes. Well, sort of. I do get a kick out of finding Ralph Lauren LAUREN jackets on the premium rack for $50 and Hickey Freeman and Brooks Brothers jackets on the regular rack for $5. So, I suppose the pickers not be totally up to speed on "premium" brands.

Otherwise, I wholly agree with you that the best spots are in the edge zone between affluent and less affluent areas. In particular, I find the smaller stores, like the ones that support hospitals or churches, are often better than the big Goodwills and Salvation Armies. Just like with fishing, in takes some trial and error to find a good honey hole.

As I type this, it occurs to me that my entire outfit today was sourced through thrifting - Harris tweed jacket, Vineyard Vines dress shirt, Orvis khakis, Italian silk tie, and Alden dress shoes (which I left the "$4.99" sticker in for good measure). Good stuff is out there, fellas!

Comment

i feel like that goodwill thinks their clientelle are naturally thesame people who go into TJ Maxx to hget a sweet deal on some "designer clothes brands" that are maybe 20% off MSRP on some of those SWEET ralph lauren shirt. If you wear one of those on your tinder date bro, the girls will just take their clothes off before you even get them in the car. girls LOVE THAT SHIT BRO.

Comment

Has anyone noticed Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts have been showing up in thrift stores more than usual lately? I always seem to see a handful of shirts in multiple thrift stores (goodwill/salvation army) across multiple cities. Anyone have any idea why? Just curious.
        Oral B.

Comment

Has anyone noticed Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts have been showing up in thrift stores more than usual lately? I always seem to see a handful of shirts in multiple thrift stores (goodwill/salvation army) across multiple cities. Anyone have any idea why? Just curious.
          Hmmm....I have made a couple of purchases from Tyrwhitt and, I supposed based on that, have gotten several 3-for-$99 coupons, which is a pretty good deal if you need to replace some everyday shirts. That could be part of it if they're running these promos on a larger scale. That said, I check my local thrift stores probably monthly or so and I haven't seen any Tyrwhitt shirts at all.

Comment

That's a great point. And speaking to that - what do you all think the fair price for a thrifted dress shirt should be? To me anything in the $4.99 or so range I think is fair/what I usually pay for. I've seen thrift stores have started to pay attention to brands and quality and I've seen dress shirts go for as much as $9.99 - which is still a steal, but a little more than I'd like to pay for a thrift store shirt.
            Oral B.

Comment

I can't see used shirts being worth much so $4.99 sounds about right to me. Actually, I can't imagine anyone would want used shirts, but if they're cheap enough I suppose there's a market for almost anything...

Comment

Charles Tyrwhitt hit the US market big like, what, ten years ago? That's about the right time frame for stuff to start showing up in thrift stores. Dude bought a bunch of bundle-deal "slim fit" CT shirts for a his first big job out of college in his 20's, now in his 30's the "slim" shirts aren't fitting so good anymore. Off to the donation box!

Dress shirts are VERY hit or miss in thrift shops. Stains, holes, and other such blemishes are extremely common. Dress shirts are pretty much disposable items, like socks and undies. But every once in a while, there's gem, especially if the thrift store has new overstock items. For me to look twice at a dress shit in a thrift store, it really has to be in perfect condition and be an upper echelon brand, at least Brooks Brothers or equivalent. That Vineyard Vines shirt I mentioned above fit the bill, and it's probably my favorite shirt in my closet. I actually found a Turnbull and Asser shirt in my size once and I didn't buy it because it was pink. In retrospect, I wish I had just to say I owned a Turnbull and Asser shirt, and maybe I could have learned to love pink shirts.

The major exception is oxford cloth shirts. Oxford cloth is one of those materials that looks and feels better when its a little bit - or a lotta bit - worn. Land's End and LL Bean are common enough in thrift stores and make pretty good OCBDs. J Crew for the skinny guys. I once found a made-in-USA OCBD from a now defunct men's store that had a lot of life in it. As with other dress shirts, stains and hole are a no go. But a little fraying at the collar or cuff is fine and actually makes the shirt that much cooler.

Comment

Working...
                X