Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're right, buying something super cheap from J Crew is not thrifting.

Comment

• I picked these up from GW without trying them on. No size tags, but looked small enough. Super-duper slim, though, so off to EBay, I guess:

Comment

• JPress navy wool duffle coat, found on Ebay for $75, effectively 90% off if you're considering the price of the current model.

Comment

• I assume these Dries Van Noten shoes, size 7, are women's. Pretty immaculate condition except the insoles are detached. They are headed to ebay as soon as I truly find out what, exactly they are. $9

Comment

• Strategy for thrift shopping

I am traveling and find myself with some free time on my hands today and noticed there is a local Goodwill store.

With no other plan I thought it might be fun to take a look and see if I can find a "gem" or two. I will be honest and say the thought fills me with a little apprehension as I don't recall ever shopping in a second hand store (other then antique shops my wife wanted to visit).

Is it like shopping in a department store?

I apologize in advance if the questions seems haughty. That is not my intention at all.

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

• It's not like shopping in a department store, and as far as how nice/organized/etc. the Goodwill is, it really matters where it's located. Try it on for size, see if it's for you. If it's not, at least you know; if it is (and especially since you're in New York), welcome to your new obsession.

Comment

• Shopping in a thrift store is different than a department store in that you should be able to walk into a department store and find whatever it is you’re looking for in the size/color that works for you: shirts, jackets, shoes, etc.

Thrift shopping is more like shopping in an antique shop. You go in not expecting to find anything specific; rather you go into to see if there’s anything there that you like and that fits you. Sometimes you’ll find three really cool items that work for you; most of the time you won’t find anything. It’s the appeal of finding hidden “gems” that appeals to most thrift shoppers, including myself.

I am a middle-aged, smaller-than-average guy with a decent income who lives in a cold part of the country. So when I go thrift shopping I there are things that I usually look at and other things I don’t even bother to look at.

I always look through:
                1. Outerwear: This is always the first section I look through. I’ve bought at least a dozen jackets over the years. Currently, I have a Mac raincoat, three leather jackets, two peacoats, two other heavy cool topcoats, plus a few other light jackets that were all purchased at thrift shops. The great thing about a thrifted jacket is that the price is often 1/5 to 1/10 of the original price i.e. a $300 topcoat for $30.

2. Suits/blazers: I’ve had less success here, but I’ve still managed to pick up a couple of nice blazers over the years. I don’t wear suits that often, so it’s not worth getting something if it’s going to need a lot of alterations.

3. Button-up shirts: There are always a ton of button-up shirts in most thrifts stores. I don’t wear suits to work, so I tend to look at casual button-ups. I’ve gotten a number of patterned and oxford shirts over the years. It helps that I know how to sew, so I’ve purchased shirts that were really large and sewn in the sides to give them a more tailored fit. Just make sure that the shoulders fit and that the sleeves aren’t too long.

4. Sweaters: For those of us that live in cold climates, you can never have too many sweaters, so I’ve picked up a few nice ones over the years. Fortunately, the fit of a sweater isn’t as finicky as it is with a suit jacket or even a button-up shirt.

5. Briefcases/Bags: I usually look through the briefcases and bags just to see if anything interesting catches my eyes. I’m currently using a canvas/leather briefcase by Eddie Bauer that I bought for $6.

I never look through:
                1. The T-shirt section: I tend to wear cheap t-shirts, so the cost difference between a thrifted t-shirt and a new one makes it not worth my time.

2. Shoes: My feet are small, so it’s rare for me to find anything that is in my size (7.5.) Also, wearing shoes that belonged to someone else bothers me, so I don’t even bother to look.

Successful thrifting is best if you look at it as a hobby. Figure out what sort of clothes you like to wear, stop by the store(s) often and keep an eye out for interesting stuff.
                Last edited by TMann; February 2, 2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Nearly new Banana Republic sport coat in 100% linen mini houndstooth I got from poshmark for a great deal. Spent a few hours this rainy afternoon removing the lining (acetate/rayon, so it wasn't the worst thing, but I'd much prefer just a butterfly) and binding the raw edges with iron-on binding tape..

Before

After

Comment

• Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                    Nearly new Banana Republic sport coat in 100% linen mini houndstooth I got from poshmark for a great deal. Spent a few hours this rainy afternoon removing the lining (acetate/rayon, so it wasn't the worst thing, but I'd much prefer just a butterfly) and binding the raw edges with iron-on binding tape..

Before

After
                    Stunning work!

Comment

• Iron on binding tape. Wow. Great idea. Does it hold up pretty well? I don't mind sewing, but the idea of sewing something onto the raw cloth edges always seemed too intimidating. But iron on binding would be a lot quicker
                      Last edited by TMann; February 17, 2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• I wonder how the tape will hold up long-term to wear and cleaning.
                        Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          I wonder how the tape will hold up long-term to wear and cleaning.
                          & [MENTION=15111]TMann[/MENTION]

I think it'll be ok. I mostly got the sport coat to wear to my friend's wedding in Hawaii in a couple months. I figure, I don't wash my sport coats very much (don't wear them all too often either) so should hold up better for me than for somebody who would wear it frequently.

I've used same/similar stuff to hem up pants and take in a different sport coat's sleeves, which have been worn and washed many times, and it's held up fine.
                          Last edited by Nandyn; February 17, 2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Unfortunately, the jeans (which have never been worn) and the shirt are a little too slim for me -- should have tried them on in the store. But the vintage t-shirt is all mine:

Comment

• Scored a pair of brand new Allen Edmonds ae Sea Island suede penny loafers that I picked up on poshmark for an absolute steal.

Came with Allen Edmonds cedar shoe trees (that I put into a different pair of shoes), too!
                              Last edited by Nandyn; March 14, 2019, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Scored some great condition AE McTavish in black on the Bay for only $38 shipped. A bit longer than other 8.5's I usually size up to, but still fits well enough. An 8W /E would've been perfect.

Last edited by Nandyn; April 1, 2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X