Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you see any decent overcoats in 38, let me know.

also if there is anything you guys are looking for, let me know your size. Just moved to Colorado Springs, and being a bigger town, we have some pretty decent thrift stores. I try to stop by at least once a week

Comment

If you see any Edward Green, Allen Edmonds, Alden, Church's, John Lobb, Brooks Brothers, Peal, Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, Trickers, Cheaneys, Loake, Grenson (rose line), Barker, Berluti, Corneliani, Ferragamo, Prada, Gucci, or Bruno Magli shoes in a 10-10.5 D-E then please think of me

Comment

Thanks for the offers guys.

If anyone runs across any of the following, I'd be happy to reimburse you for the product/shipping + a little extra.

Blazers: 38 short (or regular if BOC is around 29") - 2 button - non-functioning button cuffs. Slim fitting (17.5" or smaller shoulders). Any decent brand name is fine. Looking for navy & charcoal/gray in any of these patterns: solid, herringbone, or a -very- subtle check.

Shoes: 9D (or UK equivalent - 8F/8.5F) Any dark brown cap toes, longwings, or similar from a good brand name (see Jason's list above).

I did run across a pair of AE Fifth Avenues with very good condition uppers but resoled with a clunky vibram rubber sole for $12 if anyone is interested. I believe they were a 9.5D. Also saw 2 Hart Schaffner Marx blazers (maybe orphaned suit jackets?) in sizes 42 and 44 for around $10 each.

Comment

If anyone is interested in putting together a thrift store mailing list type thing, let me know.

I'm thinking while out and about we can snap pictures on our smartphones and just email them through the list to see if anyone is interested.

Comment

What color were the Fifth Avenue's Zero?

Comment

eharlow49 - black. I at least assume they were fifth avenues because they had the quarter broguing on the front toe. I suppose it's possible that there's a rubber sole version of this shoe somewhere.

Comment

Thanks Zero. I'll pass on this one.

Comment

I've actually gotten a bunch of good books recently for under $2 each:

Liar's Poker - Michael Lewis

The Professor and the Madman - Simon Winchester

The World to Come - Dara Horn

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

The Two Trillion Dollar Meltdown - Charles Morris

and a forest green cashmere Club Room sweater.

Comment

Books. Never thought of that for this forum haha. Now that is one area that I have excellent luck with. I hate paying full price for books but I love having them around.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Other things I'd love to find or take off someone's hands:

Solid or mostly solid knit ties in good condition, especially in purple, burgundy, red, orange, or brown (fall colors)

Nice looking ties with some texture (wool, fuzzy cotton) made by good makers (Brooks Brothers, Drakes, Liberty of London, Aquascutum, etc)

Good condition leather weekender bag

Cool vintage cufflinks or tie bars

Comment

good point on the books, i find alot of the investment strategy books i read at the thrift store...last week i found two button hole pins a nice rose and a silver oblong thing, it looked nice so i got it and a pair of Ralph Lauren Polo loafers, not in pristine condition but i am planning on making them a refinishing plan, prolly do a before and after and post next week.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                        I>0<I

Comment

Yeah all the ties I come across are silk. I'd love to see a knit or wool tie. I'd almost certainly snatch it up. I guess the stores are just becoming victim of a 90's purge: fat silk ties with terrible, tacky patterns.

Btw, is it a rule or something that every single tie at the thrift store has to have a stain on it? I mean it's really uncanny. Every. Single. One.

Comment

Had a pretty good haul today. First place had a great batch of shirts... I weeded them down to just two after finding little damages or discolorations:

Pink herringbone Thomas Pink shirt in great condition:

Blue herringbone Charles Tyrwhitt in great condition:

Also got a couple ties, a green silk knit (grenadine?) tie from Neiman Marcus for me (maybe):

and a Brooks Brothers to sell:

But my absolute favorite for the day was this quarter zip cable knit sweater which as far as I can tell has never been worn:

The next place I got a nice hand knitted sweater from Ireland that's unfortunately too big for me if someone else wants it:

I also got a Hickey Freeman suit to sell (size 40 Short, too small for me). The weird thing is it doesn't have a Hickey Freeman tag, but I recognized the tag inside the inner pocket and found the HF makers mark embossed on the lining (pics 106-109):

https://picasaweb.google.com/113945713053434575160/Thrifting?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLihM3S8Puy_wE#5676886432 482216450

I went to one more place and got a tie for myself:

and another Hickey Freeman suit which also didn't have a Hickey Freeman tag but had the makers mark. This one didn't have a size either, but feels like around a 37 with 31 waist pants and no pleats, so @MaxMan, if you want this one let me know... Pics 102-105

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139457...86369760692114

Comment

Man, I don't know what your thrift store is like, but you are the best thrifter I have ever seen

Comment

LOL Nah... I'm still an amateur. The guys over at the Styleforum thrifting thread pull all kinds of stuff I've never even seen like Brioni, Canali, and Kiton suits and great cashmere sweaters. I'm not sure that stuff even exists in my town, but I'm starting to do better.

Comment

Working...
                                X