This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    The trick with ebay is, just as you've said, a lot of things just don't sell for good amounts of money.
    I agree, to a point. You just have to be willing to let things sit for a bit, and, yes, you do have to know what to pick up. You do get hosed with auctions most of the time, unless you have a killer presence or a good marketing list or get picked up by Put This On for some reason. I've moved more toward the BIN OBO end of the spectrum for high-end clothing items. Even then, I'll make a huge misstep. Selling that MWT Bruenllo Cuccinelli for like $500 was not a good move on my part. Oh well; it happens.

Comment

I am starting to wonder if I should even bother going to thrift stores. It seems my sizes are so limiting that I almost never find anything that I can wear without alterations. My jacket size is 42L or 43l depending on the brand and, I guess, this is an unusual size. I am 6'1" but my wingspan is 76". One of the rare finds I got was a Haggar sports coat found recently. The arms were way too short but I decided to ask the tailor what he thought about lengthening the sleeves. He said it would be no problem so I asked how much $. He said $45.00. He said it was a $3-400.00 coat???Anyway I agreed to have it done so I'll be in it for a whopping 50 clams. My pants size is 34X34 which is another difficult to find size and shoes are generally 11.5E which I never find period. Anyone have advice for thrifting with these "rare" dimensions? I live in a fairly small town os about 200k people so there is limited pickins IYKWIM.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HowardC View Post
        I am starting to wonder if I should even bother going to thrift stores. It seems my sizes are so limiting that I almost never find anything that I can wear without alterations. My jacket size is 42L or 43l depending on the brand and, I guess, this is an unusual size. I am 6'1" but my wingspan is 76". One of the rare finds I got was a Haggar sports coat found recently. The arms were way too short but I decided to ask the tailor what he thought about lengthening the sleeves. He said it would be no problem so I asked how much $. He said $45.00. He said it was a $3-400.00 coat???Anyway I agreed to have it done so I'll be in it for a whopping 50 clams. My pants size is 34X34 which is another difficult to find size and shoes are generally 11.5E which I never find period. Anyone have advice for thrifting with these "rare" dimensions? I live in a fairly small town os about 200k people so there is limited pickins IYKWIM.
        Thanks
        You hit the nail on the head: fairly small town.

Comment

Originally posted by HowardC View Post
          Thanks
          I have not had much luck with suits/blazers. I'm a 38S and I rarely find anything worth owning in my local thrift shops. Same for shoes. I wear a size 7.5, and I can't remember ever finding a good pair of dress shoes in my size. I have had pretty good luck over the years with other non-tailored outerwear: rain jackets, a few leather jackets, a couple of nice overcoats and some others.

Comment

First time this has happened to me - I went to Goodwill and a pair of my old Vans was on sale. I probably donated those 6 months ago.

Comment

You can't really go thrifting expecting something great in your size. Chances are slim. Just be glad when it happens is all you can do. I've probably thrifted 3 decent things over 2 years in my size.

Seen quite a few great things not in my size. I've thought about reselling but never seems worth it.

Comment

Back when I lived near Denver, I used to do tons of thrifting. But even hitting the thrift shops several times a week, it was very rare to find something genuinely cool in a size I could wear.

Now that I live in a small town (40,000 in town, 100,000 in the surrounding area) in the middle of nowhere, I have basically given up on thrifting other than occasionally looking for cheap household or kitchen items.
                Ben

Comment

The latest? One for the ladies.

NWT. True thrift. Half off.

https://www.amazon.com/SAM-XW7077NDA.../dp/B072MKV21V

Comment

Slim pickings lately, but did grab a basically brand new all clad 5D skillet for $5.99 last weekend.
                    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                    --Jason Isbell

Comment

Three stores this morning, two pairs of Alden shells. One is size 13 and will need some work, though there's nothing structurally wrong. The others, 9.5s, are pretty great.

But since I am neither a 13 nor a 9.5, they are ebay bound.

Comment

i haven't thrifted anything outstanding for a long time seems like months!

Comment

I have been thrifting for three decades. In fact, I haven't bought a new suit or sports coat in that time. I thrift shop all of my menswear. Of late, I thrift for suits and sport coats online. You find the widest range of quality menswear online without the 'hit and miss' approach when shopping at local thrift shops. Here's a recent acquisition of mine: This is a Tom James suit that would normally retail for over $1,000.00. I purchased it on eBay second hand for only $20.00!!! Since I've learned how to do all of my own alterations, I never have any alterations costs when i buy clothes.

Buy cheap... wear well... SplurgeFrugal.com

Comment

May I ask how you learned tailoring? Did you apprentice, or do some online schooling? And how what types of tools/equipment did you find necessary?

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by gandoe View Post
                              May I ask how you learned tailoring? Did you apprentice, or do some online schooling? And how what types of tools/equipment did you find necessary?

TIA
                              Not OP, but I picked up some basic tailoring from watching youtube and practice. I got a bunch of cheap shirts from the thrift store and trial and error until I felt confident enough to tailor a real shirt I liked.

As for suits, this is definitely more difficult because of the lining which you will have to take apart. This came with practice too, but ultimately I am not skilled enough so I just take my suits to the tailor.

Otherwise, for an off the rack shirt, I just use the ZipSeam to bring it in, due to my fat neck and slim build.

Comment

OK, thanks for the reply. Tailoring (at least hemming pants, and adjusting shirts) is high of my list of skills to acquire. Any further pointers to either websites, forums, threads, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                X