This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys,

So I've just been getting into upgrading my style. I'm pretty new to Dappered, but have really liked learning all the things I have from reading the archives. I have been to the thrift store dozens of times and have picked up a ton of great items over the past 2-3 months, BB 1818 suits and a few shirts and trousers, Zegna Suit and a few shirts, some Armani jackets, and plenty of other stuff, basically compiled a nice wardrobe that fits well for a few hundred bucks.

I have started to realize how much nice stuff I pass up because it doesn't fit and have seen several people talk about flipping stuff on eBay. I guess I live near a few really good Goodwills. I was just wondering if anyone had tips on how to begin flipping. How do you guys go about pricing? Do just look and see what similar stuff is selling for on Ebay or have other methods? Any other tips on what you do after you find the stuff would be appreciated.

Comment

• I should also say, I just saw a BB Golden Fleece Suit that was a size or two too small that I was greatly disappointed to leave behind and thats what got me thinking about this.

Comment

• So, I wouldn't say I am an expert by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of other people do it a lot more. But, I've had some success and some failure doing this. I always see Italian made "sport coats" at Goodwill from BB, Zenga, Canali, etc. (they end up being suit jackets that they separate from their pants and I can never find the pants). I've purchased a couple on there and have tried to move on eBay -- to no avail (it was purchasing for around $5/ea and trying to flip on eBay for $20/ea, not huge returns, but enough to justify in my mind). I may try next posting on here, but I think the hardest part is that my Goodwill seems to separate these pieces.

I think if you can get full suits or shirts from respectable enough brands, it's worth it. Just make sure that your cost (the actual cost of the item, the cost of the time it takes you to take pictures/post/ship/etc, the cost of shipping and fees) does not outweigh the return.

Comment

• Originally posted by bjconover View Post
          I always see Italian made "sport coats" at Goodwill from BB, Zenga, Canali, etc. (they end up being suit jackets that they separate from their pants and I can never find the pants).

look over in the pants section :-)

they're all really bad about keeping them together. maybe 40% of the time I find the pants in the pants section.

Comment

• Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            look over in the pants section :-)

they're all really bad about keeping them together. maybe 40% of the time I find the pants in the pants section.
            I do, and haven't had luck yet.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

• this was an ebay i did.

I LOVED loved this brooks brothers blue herringbone Harris tweed, they had it for $698 on their site. I even went to the store to check it out . It's very nice tweed, and the inside is pretty nice too. I did make note that it was made in Thailand, but I didn't see any drawbacks in it given the actual garment was made well in every way I could discern.

I nearly bought it, but decided that I probably shouldn't spend that much on anything tweedy, since it's just a wierd hobby.

so a few months later, i see this on ebay. buy it now for $99. It's my size! i just could not pass it up.

Last edited by evanparker; November 17, 2016, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Nice score!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bjconover View Post
                  So, I wouldn't say I am an expert by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of other people do it a lot more. But, I've had some success and some failure doing this. I always see Italian made "sport coats" at Goodwill from BB, Zenga, Canali, etc. (they end up being suit jackets that they separate from their pants and I can never find the pants). I've purchased a couple on there and have tried to move on eBay -- to no avail (it was purchasing for around $5/ea and trying to flip on eBay for $20/ea, not huge returns, but enough to justify in my mind). I may try next posting on here, but I think the hardest part is that my Goodwill seems to separate these pieces.

I think if you can get full suits or shirts from respectable enough brands, it's worth it. Just make sure that your cost (the actual cost of the item, the cost of the time it takes you to take pictures/post/ship/etc, the cost of shipping and fees) does not outweigh the return.
                  I got into buying nice stuff that doesn't fit because other people buy nice stuff that doesn't fit them, but it might fit me. It's all about trading within a respectable community. And if trading doesn't work, throw your goods up on ebay, though that is a huuuuuuge pain.

Comment

• Non-clothing finds from the two weeks or so:

Don't sleep on the record section. These are rare mono pressings:

1948 William and Mary, 1950 UVA yearbooks. I've found ones that are from the 30s, but these are still cool:

Serengeti Drivers:

Comment

• And this seemed worth the $8 I paid. Don't know what I'll do with it yet, though:

Comment

• Just picked up a pair of new, unworn Damen Frost oxfords for $25!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Picked up these Allen Edmonds tassle loafers for $30

Cleaned, shined, and polished and they're looking pretty good. Great deal

Comment

• Originally posted by navy_and_charcoal View Post
                            Picked up these Allen Edmonds tassle loafers for $30

Cleaned, shined, and polished and they're looking pretty good. Great deal

Nice! I've found some really nice sport coats and pants at my Goodwill but I've never had any luck with shoes.

Comment

• Thrifting on ebay is a thing. Averaged out to $19 each for three BB black fleece ties.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonATL View Post
                                And if trading doesn't work, throw your goods up on ebay, though that is a huuuuuuge pain.
                                Gotta agree with you there. Especially as far from a post office as we are.

I've found some great vintage ties, and newer wool, linen, and silk ties at the thrift stores around here. Some of them might actually be vintage, I don't know how to tell. Google hasn't helped either, especially if the brand has been around for 50 years. I wish there was some kind of online guide.
                                My brother and I decided to be identical twins just to confuse everyone. It's worked out really well so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X