Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Big_Scooter, you can also get antiqued silver which is more toned down, or horn / marbled black buttons with a bit of gray or brown in them. I bought buttons at a local sewing store for $7 and re-sewed them on my blazer in one evening while watching TV.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I found some Barker of Earls Barton single monks in immaculate physical condition, but smells like cigarette smoke. Anyway to remedy this?

Comment

Try giving them a good polish and stuff them with newspaper for a day or two

Comment

I think I'm done with thrifting. I've made about 8-10 trips over the last 6 months, and have never found anything remotely close to usable for me.

In particular, finding blazers/sport coats in size 38 seems to be a real issue.

Shoes around here are just generally beat up. I ran across 2 pair of allen edmonds (park ave and fifth avenue I think), but they were too large and in pretty rough shape.

Comment

I hear ya zero. I'm in a thrifting desert as well. I have yet to find anything though I haven't totally given up. I figure, if I don't find anything for months maybe I'm just due an amazing find....

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I find 38's pretty regularly. What are you looking for?

Also, how big is "too big" and how bad is "pretty rough shape"? Cracked or damaged uppers is bad, but if it's just the sole... Maybe we could work out a swap.

Also, people will be donating soon to get the writeoff for their 2011 tax returns.

Comment

Jason, if you find any outstanding 38R's or 38S's like that last one, I could probably take them off your hands. That HF is amazing

Comment

Any experience here with Oliver Sweeney shoes or Austin Reed blazers? Both seemed quite nice for decent prices

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@zero_style

I'm a 38 as well, and, yes, the majority of blazers are in the 42-46 range. All I can say is to keep being patient. I was frustrated with the blazer and shoe selection as well, but I have had very good luck over my last few visits. In the last 6 or 7 visits I've grabbed three blazers, two of which I believe to be of great quality and fabric and the other has a very unique pattern. I never saw any decent shoes (ever) until my last trip and then I was basically swimming in them.

Do you live in a decently sized city? I'm not talking about NYC-large or anything, but if you live in a place big enough to have an affluent suburb, hit up that area's thrift store. For me, there is a huge quality and selection difference between the store that is in the middle of the city and the store 15 minutes out in a nice neighborhood.

It's such a hit and miss venture. Just be patient.

Comment

Went today at lunch... Not a lot but I picked up 4 ties:

Barneys New York, Hawkes and Keynes, Brooks Brothers, and Enrico Capucci

Thinking of returning the Hawkes and Keynes and Enrico Capucci... I like the colors in the Barneys

Comment

checked another thrift store today with a buddy, didn't find anything for me, but found him a grey pinstripe, peak lapel, double breasted Christian Dior suit for $12. it's awesome, and fit great

Comment

Not clothing related, but I got one of these for my daughter for Christmas:

It's in really good condition and much better made than something I could get for a similar price new.

Comment

^Awesome!

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

+100 on Awesomeness scale...am i the only one that was thinking about a new coat and winter boots?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                              I>0<I

Comment

I just broke out my overcoat for the first time today since it's barely cracking 40 here. I rarely see anything good in winter boots at thrift stores. Sometimes coats... like a chocolate brown cashmere / wool overcoat I saw today from a maker I didn't recognize from London. Too bad it was marked at $30.

Comment

Working...
                                X