Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The silhouette on that jacket looks great on you. Nice find.
    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Comment

I have 1/2 of my closet (one of my two closet-devoted entirely to thrifted tweeds. I have maybe 10 pretty good ones that i decided are all pretty great. I decided I needed to stop buying more due to space issues. The only way I could possibly buy a new one is if I re-donated one of them back to my local goodwill store.

So of course like a couple weeks after I decided this, maybe 6 really great tweeds fell from the sky into my lap more or less. All in my size, and soft shoulders, and tweed patterns i've never even seen before! wowie!

So now I have to have a Harris tweed reckoning day this weekend. I am going to throw them all into a steel cage and see which ones fight their way up to the top, I guess.

Actually I think I need to take a picture of all of them probably, some of these "new" harris tweeds are pretty great. Off-season is definitely the best time to find thrift jackets and coats!

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
        I have 1/2 of my closet (one of my two closet-devoted entirely to thrifted tweeds. I have maybe 10 pretty good ones that i decided are all pretty great. I decided I needed to stop buying more due to space issues. The only way I could possibly buy a new one is if I re-donated one of them back to my local goodwill store.

So of course like a couple weeks after I decided this, maybe 6 really great tweeds fell from the sky into my lap more or less. All in my size, and soft shoulders, and tweed patterns i've never even seen before! wowie!

So now I have to have a Harris tweed reckoning day this weekend. I am going to throw them all into a steel cage and see which ones fight their way up to the top, I guess.

Actually I think I need to take a picture of all of them probably, some of these "new" harris tweeds are pretty great. Off-season is definitely the best time to find thrift jackets and coats!
        So, uh.....what are your measurements? *scratches neck inconspicuously*

Seriously though, off-season is absurd. I picked up a gorgeous 100% wool dark grey double-breasted overcoat recently that edged out my previously-gifted-from-a-family-friend single-breasted car coat. Space issue to keep them both, womp womp.

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
          Figured I'd share a few recent items since this thread has been slow as of late...

That, my friend is an excellent find ...well done

Comment

but in reality in the USA, there is a really big thrift industry. There is an enormous corporate system of collectors, transporters, sorters, graders, re-distributors, and resale outlets for used clothing in the USA. It is not any sort of cottage industry here, it's presence stretches from the very small outlets, to the very large.

The smallest places we have in the USA commonly are small church-basement thrift stores. Most churches have some kind of junk sale every year, or a parish donation store to benefit the parish. These are usually run by old ladies, and usually completley erratic on pricing and inventory. If someone really rad dies, they might have $2 harris tweeds for days. If crappy people donate all their throwaway chinese Target and H&M clothes, it'll be there for months as well. Most of these church places only have items from their church sources, and while occasionally might ebay an especially good item, usually only do cash sales for unusually good prices. I bought a couple good ties at one last month for $0.75

We also have a lot of places like Goodwill that are kind of driven by donations, but pad donations with clothes shipped in fro ma distribution headquarters. The HQ will often send out used clothes they bought whole sale to reinforce inventory at the local stores. They do this a lot when seasonal items come up, like they switch the sweaters over to the front of the store for winter. Or when they move the shorts out for summer. A place like this will often be a little limited by what grade of used clothes the store is willing to buy. My local Goodwill store by Boston University on Commonwealth Ave gets a whole lot of good donations from the student body, but in general the base stock that is sent in from the mothership is quite poor. I bought a $2.99 tie there last week.

I think they probably send the designer label donated items in for credit, and they get sold somewhere nicer than here.

"Savers" is an other store which isn't even a non-profit. it's a for-profit in every way, and while their items are priced high, the abundance of middle of the road label brands is high. I just bought a brooks brothers tie at my local one for $6, which is a bit high for a thrift, but it's a very nice tie so I guess it balances out.

After that in the USA, you have the top tier of just used clothing stores which are mostly boutique only second hand (as well as consignment) clothing. This type of store had stuff like prom dresses, formal attire, top quality suits. Stores like this are usually small and individually curated by the local owner's good eye for items. Places like this are the place you pay the most for second hand items, but in general the quality there is superb. You get items that were literally worn twice, or have tags still on them. The owners are usually hip to "ebay", and price things competitively for the right items. These stores will often buy or consign worthy items from the original owners. I bought a $250 handmade Italian tie from one last year and it was $30. Well worth it.
            +1 for Goodwill having huge discrepancies depending on location. I'm pretty sure the Davis Square one gets picked clean by professional flippers on a regular basis because there's just nothing ever there that's decent. The one in Roxbury is actually decent though -- I regularly used to find BB shirts there and even got a BB outlet blazer for $6 once!

Have you tried Buffalo Exchange before? I actually got both of my chambray shirts from there for < $20 each and they've both held up really well. One is from Club Monaco and must have been worn < 5 times when I picked it up. Being able to "sell" some eBay clothes I experimented with and didn't like to recoup some of the costs is just an added bonus. I've never been to Savers actually, hmm....

Comment

After a self-imposed exile, I HAVE RETURNED.

UK 7 (available)

From the Sid Warehouse Sale:

(The petronious is avail)

Picked up for $1 each:

Comment

Originally posted by believe0101 View Post
                So, uh.....what are your measurements? *scratches neck inconspicuously*
                I am a 44R, and I have coats I'll be parting with between 44R and 40R

Comment

I am a 44R, and I have coats I'll be parting with between 44R and 40R
                  Hah, well it's not exactly tweed weather these last few days, but if you have anything in a 42R you'd like to offload, let me know...

Comment

Speaking of size 44r in the wrong season,
                    I found this amazing navy Italian camel hair sport coat. I can't do the texture justice. I have no need for it but it fit so well and is so soft.

Comment

my favorite shirt in the whole world. the Gitman Bros. Vintage series oxford.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
                        Hey, Out of my own curiosity, how many of you guys thrift? I'd like to guage the market of savvy well dressed thrifters to see who I'm up against in the thrift market lol...
                        I'll hold my hands up to this. There are some great finds to be had on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Sand1982 View Post
                          I'll hold my hands up to this. There are some great finds to be had on ebay.
                          Dude, you have a lot of posts to get through if you're starting from the begging of a 2,500+ post thread. [emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                            Dude, you have a lot of posts to get through if you're starting from the begging of a 2,500+ post thread. [emoji41]
                            ? You've lost me on that one man. What happens at 2500+ posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Sand1982 View Post
                              ? You've lost me on that one man. What happens at 2500+ posts?
                              Nothing happens at 2500 posts, it's just that you quoted the first post in a very long thread so I was making a joke that you had a lot to get through if you were starting from the begging.

Comment

here is a great example of "you've gotta know what to look for"

A bin of dirty old gawdy Sears and JCPenney ties yields this. $0.99 tag on it.

I sold it for $85 + shipping in a mere two days on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                                X