Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't had much success thrifting in recent weeks but stopped by a Goodwill I don't normally frequent and HUZZAH scored three sport coats and a dress shirt. No pics yet...
    Brown (sorry don't know the pattern name) Ralph Lauren 52/48 silk/wool in a 42S that surprisingly wasn't too short.
    Charcoal herringbone Merona in 42R with a 3 roll 2. Very nice, fits well.
    Navy HF Nordstrom 43R jacket. Probably an orphaned suit jacket. Looked for the pants but no dice. Just a HAIR big but nothing overly baggy.
    Nordstrom brand white dress shirt in exactly my size of 16.5-34. Who doesn't need white shirts?

Grand total....$ 15.96!
    They were running a sport coat promotion I wasn't even aware of!

Comment

15 really super nice brooks brothers ties yesterday. all repp stripe ones. all in great shape.

also, 2 vineyard vines ones, and 2 more J Press ones.

Comment

I picked up this blazer at a local thrift shop but would like to get some input from the experts here on whether it's worth spending more money on to get tailored if need be. I'd love to get some opinions on the fit as well as the jacket itself, as I'm fairly new to this dressing well thing. I think getting the waist taken in would help, and the sleeves shortened, but that may be costly with the leather sleeve trim. I really like that it is only partially lined. Also, does anybody know anything about the brand, GG Goucam? They seem to be a Portuguese company and the blazer is made in Portugal. Thanks for the input!

Comment

That looks really good, as is, especially for a thrift find. The sleeves look slightly long, but I'm not sure I'd mess with them.

Comment

Originally posted by jamh View Post
            I picked up this blazer at a local thrift shop but would like to get some input from the experts here on whether it's worth spending more money on to get tailored if need be.
            Yes. Have the sleeves shortened from the shoulders and have the waist taken in. Alterations are generally worth it on jackets. As is mending them. Or, at least I think so.

Originally posted by jamh View Post
            Also, does anybody know anything about the brand, GG Goucam? They seem to be a Portuguese company and the blazer is made in Portugal. Thanks for the input!
            I glanced at their site... that appears to be from the Summer 2014 collection. Or it could be the same thing many years earlier. Hard to tell.

The "GG" is Groupo Goucam, so "GG" is not part of the brand name, it is the brand logo.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
              Yes. Have the sleeves shortened from the shoulders and have the waist taken in. Alterations are generally worth it on jackets. As is mending them. Or, at least I think so.
              I agree you should see about getting the sleeve shortened from the shoulder. There doesn't appear to be a ton of distance between the sleeve end and the first button. I'd guess you need between a half and 3/4 taken off the sleeves to make it look great. If you only need 1/2 or less, though, see about shortening from the hem. I'd expect a decent tailor should be able to deal with the leather.

To be clear, I think this looks nice already. You can certainly wear this as-is. But it will look even better if you shorten the sleeves, and maybe bring the waist in a touch.

Comment

I'll take it by the tailor and see what they can do. It seems like a decent piece that I've only got $9 into at this point, so spending a little more can't hurt. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

I like your jacket a ton! The color especially. Blue tweed is less-common for some reason, I really like those. I sort of collect vintage tweeds, and I'm always looking for blue ones just because it's neat to see them.

As you probably know, if you asked most people, Harris would probably be recognized as the most desirable of the tweed companies, with Shetland being the 2nd most. The reality is that a lot of the Shetland stuff is preferred by a lot of the more particular traditional brands over the Harris.

I have a couple Andover Shop Shetlands tweeds that are super nice, as well as a J. Press one.

I think in many ways the your average Shetland tweed is more practical than the Harris tweed which everyone (myself included) is bonkers about. It's much more presentable than Harris typically is, it's usually cleaner and more put together, and it lays much flatter. Tends to be incredibly soft. If you put a Shetland Sportcoat on ebay however, it's not worth nearly as much, despite in many ways being a nicer product. Harris just has the name recognition going for it , I suppose.

While I don't think the Shetland tweed has the rough country look a lot of people thinks of when they think of tweed, I definitely think it is for the best since we don't actually live in some bog in Scotland somewhere.

The leather is a neat little touch, and with tweed blazers, with quality name brand fabrics even showing up at Walmart and China coats all the time these days, the devil really is in the details of the finishing, and the lining. As someone who sews, I can pretty confidently say the little piece ads a tiny bit more sewing, and seam ripping, but it shouldn't really change the shortening job too much. Just by having working buttons, it's already a bit complicated, but the leather piece is incredibly minor when you compare the work to move a button hole.

I like that blazer so much! and you should get it tailored, and it will look even more amazing. I think it is actually really close already! the sleeves are long, but everything else looks really great.
                  Last edited by evanparker; May 2, 2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=12001]evanparker[/MENTION] thanks and thanks for the insight on tweed. I think this jacket ended up at the thrift because it had a tiny bit of white paint on the back of one of the sleeves. I was actually able to carefully pick it all out, and you can hardly tell it was there anymore. The interesting thing about the sleeve buttons is that the top three are functional while the lower one is not and only has decorative button hole stitching. I'm not sure how common that is, and if it is done to allow sleeve adjustments, but I'm thinking it will allow me to shorten the sleeves by just moving the non functional lower button up and leaving the rest.

Comment

Which is this Brooks's brothers shell cordovan tasseled loafer, made by Alden.

I spent a few hours polishing them last night, and it's been slow going.

Last edited by evanparker; May 14, 2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

^^ Very nice.

Comment

I think I'm going to have to retire from thrifting after this month or something, I've just been killing it.

I was about to start saving up $650 to get a set of these Allen Edmonds Shell Cordovan MacNeils, but lo and behold, I have now the set I will have for quite a while!

I'm currently debating whether $120 for a recraft is worth it for them right now...the answer is probably yes...

Comment

Heh heh heh...

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

Heh heh heh...
                              Nicely done. Those look great, how much did you get em for?

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                                Nicely done. Those look great, how much did you get em for?
                                A mere ten dollars!

It just took a few hundred thrift store trips to find them, but they're all mine now!

Shoes I've been looking for, for many years! And ones that even fit. I'm so lucky.
                                Last edited by evanparker; May 22, 2016, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X