Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was about to buy a Manistee belt at retail...$15 is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post

I was about to buy a Manistee belt at retail...$15 is much better.
      Dang. Nice find!

Comment

What do you guys use so the picture shows up automatically in the thread?

So, I've been on a nice thrifting run since reading dappered.com (coincidence? :-))
        Lands End Gray OCBD
        Blue Brooks Brothers OCBD x 2
        White Brooks Brothers OCBD
        Green Windowpane Brooks Brothers BD
        Blue Windowpane John Nordstrom
        Tan Chaps Cotton Sports Coat (too tight for my fat gut but perfect in the shoulders)
        Grey Wool Heringbone Sports Coat (also too tight for my gut but again, good shoulders)
        Olive St. John's Bay Chinos
        Zegna Casual/Dress Shirt

Still can't seem to find much beyond the run of the mill Dockers quality (not that there's anything wrong with that). Seems its easier to find better quality shirts than it is to find better quality pants. Or maybe I just know shirt brands better than I know pant brands.
        Last edited by jmreg; July 7, 2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
          ^^^ any pics of the labels?
          yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jmreg View Post
            Still can't seem to find much beyond the run of the mill Dockers quality (not that there's anything wrong with that). Seems its easier to find better quality shirts than it is to find better quality pants. Or maybe I just know shirt brands better than I know pant brands.
            Pants are tougher to find because people wear them out more. I have thrifted 20 times as many shirts as I have pants. Sometimes I've thrifted suit pants (they are not marked with a size) - I bring a tape measure and know my measurements. A lot of pants have tears, holes, stains, and general wear so I have not been that lucky.

Comment

Watch out for pee stains too.

Comment

Found a Brioni tux in my size, as well as Dunhill and YSL ties. The tux is amazing. The fabric is so soft and the hand made button holes are works of art. I got all of this for $20.

Comment

Great purchase at good price, kindly share pic wear it if possible
                  Eat what is good for your health but
                  Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

I have recently moved to Clarksburg, Maryland and have my first position that requires me to dress like a true professional. Does anyone know of any thrift shops in or around Maryland or Virginia? My issue is typically that I am 6'5" and my shirt size 17.5 and 37" sleeve and I wear a 50L suit w/ a 40" waist. I just seem to have a really hard time finding clothes in a thrift shop.

Comment

Just picked this up at a thrift store:

Beretta Sport. Thinking it is a shooting jacket. I'm guessing that's what the strap is for anyway. Anybody know?

Comment

So, about to visit the in-laws in the Bay Area of California. Any good thrift/consignment stores I should check out?

Comment

[MENTION=14064]jmreg[/MENTION], the bay area is a big place, what town you going to be in?

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                            [MENTION=14064]jmreg[/MENTION], the bay area is a big place, what town you going to be in?
                            True, but I really didn't want to limit it too much if someone knows a good place I'll drive to it!

Wife's folks live in Alameda but we'll be near Oakland, San Francisco, Suasalito, Monterrey on at least one day to give some ideas.

P.S. Just found some chocolate brown cords from brooks brothers and an unstructured casual light tan jacket that fits me pretty well OTR. All for $4 total! Score!

Comment

I live in Alameda and the thrift stores are very hit or miss. However, first sunday of every month is a huge antiques/vintage sale on the old navy air base. Costs money to get in and its more expensive the earlier you want to go, but its pretty fun to see what's available. http://alamedapointantiquesfaire.com/

Comment

i liked this one; $1350 J. Press Suit. IN MY SIZE. $16 at Goodwill in Boston. When I dug out the jacket in the BLAZER section, it was completely orphaned from the pants! I went in the pants section and dug deep to track them down. I was super lucky to actually find them over there, as they're unmarked in every way. Luckily the chalk stripe worsted wool sticks out like a sore thumb. I was super lucky to find it over there.

I had to only let the pants out an inch, and the whole thing is ready to go. Besides it just kind of being a very trad. sack-fit, my only general complaint is that the jacket is a little bit long. The pants length is also due for an adjustment.

http://www.jpressonline.com/presside...-chalk-stripe/

Here I am repping my ECRU brooks brothers shirt that fits like a damned dream, but can never mesh right with other things.

Last edited by evanparker; October 5, 2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X