This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
    Not to be harsh, but - there's no question that it's too big for you. Don't even bother taking it to a tailor. Make sure there isn't any damage, take decent pics, and throw it up on the Swap and Shop thread.

Had a pretty good day yesterday. Posted these over on the SF thrifting thread, and figured I'd share them here as well.

Breuer, RLPL, Charvet, Ferragamo x2

Zegna hidden button down collar x3

Harsh? Not at all - harsh will be my wife's reaction when I explain spending $25 on a suit that is apparently to everyone for me obviously too large.

Any suggestions on a decent price to offer this at?

Comment

No specific answer on price, but I'd look on eBay for "completed listings" I.e. sales of similar Oxxford suits. And no worries on messing up on the size. Focus on the shoulders when you find this stuff. You want the shoulder seam to hit the end of the shoulder bone. It's tough, especially if you've lost weight and are used to wearing a larger size. There's a bias among guys to want to be "bigger." You'll look much better in clothes that fit. Try on blazers or suits that seem too small for you. You'll be surprised how much better they look.

Comment

Added, I'm sure you'll make money on this, so don't tell the wife until after you've sold for a profit! ;-)

Comment

Thanks. I've lost about 60lbs over the last 2 years, so I am probably accustomed to swimming.

I get the sense that many who read this thread often "flip" stuff in eBay. If any of you wants to try this with this suit, and pay me only a small amount ($20) over what I paid plus shipping, PM me. I can send more pics of you like.

Comment

Yup, I lost 25 or so and ended up going down 2 sizes from a 44 to a 40, sometimes 38. I initially tried to tailor a few things - mistake. I also bought some new stuff that was still too big. Glad you've heard everyone - don't sink any more money into this. It will fit somebody - and it's a nice suit, so you'll make money.

And congratulations! 60 pound weight loss is incredible!

Comment

I haven't been thrifting much lately. My most recent thrift purchases were a Mossimo OCBD and gander Mtn guide series pants that I got for $3.50.

Comment

For those regular thrifters/flippers, what are some non-mainstream brands that we should keep an eye out for? I'm running into a ton of brands that I've never seen before, or ones that I see all too regularly and know nothing about.

IE: I know Brooks is popular and resells well, but I've probably found a hundred Tom James labeled suits in various fabrics. Are those worth investigating, or junk?

Comment

Out of curiosity, I took the suit to my tailor. She was astounded (a) that such nice suits get sold at thrift-stores and (b) that someone other than "poor" people shop at thrift-stores. Anyway, she pinned the jacket to show me what it would look like if she altered it. She also said she'd need to lengthen and tapper the sleeves. All told, it was going to run me $200+. And, in the end it would still look like a poorly fitting suit. Her candid suggestion was that I put the money towards a new suit, which is what I am going to do.

Originally posted by Murph65 View Post
                  Yup, I lost 25 or so and ended up going down 2 sizes from a 44 to a 40, sometimes 38. I initially tried to tailor a few things - mistake. I also bought some new stuff that was still too big. Glad you've heard everyone - don't sink any more money into this. It will fit somebody - and it's a nice suit, so you'll make money.

And congratulations! 60 pound weight loss is incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
                    Out of curiosity, I took the suit to my tailor. She was astounded (a) that such nice suits get sold at thrift-stores and (b) that someone other than "poor" people shop at thrift-stores. Anyway, she pinned the jacket to show me what it would look like if she altered it. She also said she'd need to lengthen and tapper the sleeves. All told, it was going to run me $200+. And, in the end it would still look like a poorly fitting suit. Her candid suggestion was that I put the money towards a new suit, which is what I am going to do.
                    I'm glad the tailor didn't try to talk you into altering the suit. I think that would have been an expensive venture with an unsatisfactory result.

FWIW, I think a lot of us get a serious case of rose-tinted vision when we try good stuff on at the thrift store. I bought my share of jackets at thrift shops just because I wanted to believe that an otherwise awesome but poorly-fitting jacket could be salvaged at the tailor. But tailoring is meant to tweak a garment, not completely rebuild it. These days, with the exception of things like unhemmed pants, I don't buy anything (thrift or retail) that I wouldn't be comfortable wearing "as is" off-the-rack.
                    Ben

Comment

I agree with you 100%. I am especially susceptible when, while thrifting, I spot a brand that I could not otherwise justifying buying - the Oxxford suit being a prime example. In addition, I've recently bought - and submitted for hemming and tapering - BB pleated flannel pants. They fit great in the waist and seat, but Given the current disdain for pleats, probably not my best choice. you live and learn, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
                        I agree with you 100%. I am especially susceptible when, while thrifting, I spot a brand that I could not otherwise justifying buying - the Oxxford suit being a prime example. In addition, I've recently bought - and submitted for hemming and tapering - BB pleated flannel pants. They fit great in the waist and seat, but Given the current disdain for pleats, probably not my best choice. you live and learn, I guess.
                        Pleats aren't necessarily a bad thing (actually I kinda love them, the pants usually have a higher rise, your pockets are easier to use, the waist expands more, etc...) it's just that most of the pleated pants you see are ridiculously baggy with like 6 full breaks and 2 sizes too big. If you buy well fitting, single pleated pants, there's definitely no harm done. You should definitely wear them with braces though.

Comment

Find for the week

Comment

I'd love to wear braces, but I'm pretty sure that would be a little "hip" or "edgy" for my office-park located in-house attorney gig. People already think it strange that I frequently wear a sport coat.

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                            Pleats aren't necessarily a bad thing (actually I kinda love them, the pants usually have a higher rise, your pockets are easier to use, the waist expands more, etc...) it's just that most of the pleated pants you see are ridiculously baggy with like 6 full breaks and 2 sizes too big. If you buy well fitting, single pleated pants, there's definitely no harm done. You should definitely wear them with braces though.

Comment

Picked up some jackets at the salvation army today. They need a good steaming and some minor alterations, but overall not a bad haul for around $30

1) Banana Republic Monogram jacket (charcoal) $7

2) Bespoke Jacket Super 120s- fully canvassed (black w/ shadow stripe) $4

3) Joseph Abboud Super 110s- fully canvassed (charcoal w/ blue windowpane) $7

4 Club Monaco Half Lined Summer Blazer (light grey) $7

Comment

A Testoni Basic at Goodwill

Found these this morning at Goodwill for a whole $4.99.

http://chattypics.com/files/IMG_2014...aqrdytjgpn.jpg
                                http://chattypics.com/files/IMG_2014...5i36ws05f2.jpg
                                http://chattypics.com/files/IMG_2014...ofl95p9pul.jpg
                                http://chattypics.com/files/IMG_2014...w8l36163ng.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X